The Student Room Group

Where am I going wrong?

I am hoping to slim down and gain a bit of muscle. I have been going to the gym for quite some time now and I can feel myself getting fitter. I can run for longer, lift heavier weights etc, but there aren't much visible changes in my body.

My diet is healthy. It consists of something like this:
Breakfast: Alpen or porridge with cup of tea.
Lunch: Salad, sometimes with tuna, or sometimes with couscous. Fruit.
Dinner: Sweet potato and salad or veg. Or sometimes soup.
I rarely snack and if I do then it will be fruit.
During the day I drink lots of water, and the odd cup of tea. I used to drink a lot of alcohol but have cut this down a lot over the last few months.

At the gym I do a mixture of cardio, weights, squats etc, I also pole dance.

I feel like my arms have become more toned, and my legs are quite toned too, but I am more concerned about my stomach. I'm not exactly fat, but I'm not skinny either. By the end of the day my stomach looks huge... it sort of grows (bloats) and I don't know what in my diet could be causing this. It's not exactly flat in the first place though. I want to lose weight so my stomach looks nicer :smile:

My job doesn't help as I do shift work which can be quite awkward but I still try to stick to three meals a day with no snacking.

Can anyone recommend any changes in my diet or any exercise that I could do to improve?

I want an awesome body for the summer :biggrin: I know I can achieve this!
Reply 1
How much cardio are you doing?

how many times do you go to the gym a week?

I would put more protein in your diet, but it doesn't seem like you are over eating. Try using myfitness pall to monitor your calorie intake.
Reply 2
Check in the mirror to see if you've got anterior pelvic tilt. It's easy to go unnoticed and makes your belly protrude.
Reply 3
- you cant gain muscle and lose fat at the same time
- you need to include a lot more protein in your diet 1g/1b of bodyweight is fine
- if you want to lose weight you need to eat 500 below maintenance calories a day which will result in 1lb of fat lost a week. Don't try and lose more than 1lb a week or you will lose muscle
- if you are going to try and lose weight its essential you intake a lot of protein
Reply 4
The first sentence is where you're going wrong. Unfortunately it's extremely difficult if not impossible to lose fat whilst putting on muscle. Either bulk or cut

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 5
Original post by dean01234
How much cardio are you doing?

how many times do you go to the gym a week?

I would put more protein in your diet, but it doesn't seem like you are over eating. Try using myfitness pall to monitor your calorie intake.

Cardio: 20/30 mins 3 times a week.
I go to the gym 3 or 4 times a week.
I don't think I could eat anymore if I tried. Ah yes, I used to find myfitness pal helpful, I'll give it a go again :smile:

Original post by baconbutty
- you cant gain muscle and lose fat at the same time
- you need to include a lot more protein in your diet 1g/1b of bodyweight is fine
- if you want to lose weight you need to eat 500 below maintenance calories a day which will result in 1lb of fat lost a week. Don't try and lose more than 1lb a week or you will lose muscle
- if you are going to try and lose weight its essential you intake a lot of protein

I'm not trying to gain muscle and lose fat at the same time. Ideally I would like to lose fat first. But I started the pole dancing, and did weights to help, and noticed my arms becoming stronger. So I accidentally gained muscle? Haha.
Ok, I'll try more protein.
Original post by ScaryMary101
I am hoping to slim down and gain a bit of muscle. I have been going to the gym for quite some time now and I can feel myself getting fitter. I can run for longer, lift heavier weights etc, but there aren't much visible changes in my body.

During the day I drink lots of water, and the odd cup of tea. I used to drink a lot of alcohol but have cut this down a lot over the last few months.

I feel like my arms have become more toned, and my legs are quite toned too, but I am more concerned about my stomach. I'm not exactly fat, but I'm not skinny either. By the end of the day my stomach looks huge... it sort of grows (bloats) and I don't know what in my diet could be causing this. It's not exactly flat in the first place though. I want to lose weight so my stomach looks nicer :smile:

My job doesn't help as I do shift work which can be quite awkward but I still try to stick to three meals a day with no snacking.

Can anyone recommend any changes in my diet or any exercise that I could do to improve?

I would recommend a change in your diet. Not so much what you're eating, but when.
It is possible to add muscle and lose fat, but it takes a long time.

Stick with your breakfast as it is, but then swap your lunch and dinner eating habits around.
It's fine to load up on carbs during the day when you need more energy and you're burning them off (such as the potato).
During the evening however, go for a meat dish, with only salad or vegetables as a side. The proteins and nutrients will help you re-build any broken down muscle as you sleep, but the lack of carbs at night will mean you don't store unnecessary fat.
Also you won't feel so sluggish and bloated before going to bed.

Speaking from experience my diet is basically:

- Banana, cereal, toast for breakfast.
- Pasta/ rice/ potatoes with a meat or fish for lunch.
- Meat or fish with vegetables for dinner.

I wouldn't be too put off by snacking during the day as long as they're healthy snacks, besides I've been told eating smaller portions more often increases metabolism (not really sure about all that, for me that comes down to whatever you're comfortable with).

Obviously this diet is quite tedious, so I normally pick one day on the weekend where I'll have some drinks, and then more carbs with my dinner as well. The next day is always used as a long cardio day (I find I don't have enough energy to start lifting weights after drinking the night before).
(edited 10 years ago)
Reply 7
Original post by ScaryMary101

Pole dancing is a high intensity pole exercise that combines strength-based internal training and isometric muscular contractions.
Reply 8
As a starting point follow this structure

Meal 1: Lean Meat+leafy green vegetable
Meal 2: Lean Meat+leafy green vegetable
Meal 3: Lean Meat+leafy green vegetable
Meal 4: Lean Meat+leafy green vegetable

Meat is the size of your fist, 2 handfuls of leafy greens. Have carbs with the meal following your workout or a less aggressive approach is to have a carb source with each meal about the size of your fist.

Quick Reply

Latest