The Student Room Group

Getting experience in schools before applying, do you just...

Craft a letter explaining your desire to do a PGCE and need for class room experience and then send it to a list of schools in your area? Is this what people have tried?

What kinds of things did you say in your letter, roughly? and is this worth trying? I can't see schools agreeing to take a random person in for a few days. I suppose it comes down to what you can offer.
Reply 1
help?!
Reply 2
I emailed the head, explained that I needed experience in school for a PGCE and gave some other relevant experience/knowledge/skills. I also used 'volunteering' instead of 'observing'. Schools are more likely to want you if you're willing to help out, and I got lots of responsibility this way too, giving me more fruitful experience.
(edited 10 years ago)
Reply 3
I did the same. I actually approached my children's school in person and explained that I would like to volunteer some time on a regular basis as I was considering a change in career. I have been going in for two mornings per week since the beginning of October and have been picking up more responsibility and experiences along the way. I stick to the same days each week as the children and teacher then know when I'm coming in. The children actually missed me when I didn't go in one week due to having interviews. I already had a good relationship with some of the teachers at the school though due to my kids attending there.
Original post by Esmeralda4
I emailed the head, explained that I needed experience in school for a PGCE and gave some other relevant experience/knowledge/skills. I also used 'volunteering' instead of 'observing'. Schools are more likely to want you if you're willing to help out, and I got lots of responsibility this way too, giving me more fruitful experience.

Sounds well dodge.
Reply 5
Original post by Abdul-Karim
Sounds well dodge.

If you're an immature teen perhaps.
Original post by Esmeralda4
If you're an immature teen perhaps.

Oo, that was burn! :frown:

I didn't mean to offend you, my apologies. My immature little ways, eh :rolleyes:.
Reply 7
No worries. I'm cranky today.
Reply 8
Pretty much what others have said, I emailed around (but an individual email to each school, not a round robin!) explaining I wanted to do a PGCE so needed classroom experience and could they take me on as a volunteer. I also attached my CV :smile:
Reply 9
I did not say anything about doing a PGCE in my emails. I just said that I wanted to volunteer and that I had the skills for the volunteering position. And I got a reply and months later here I am. Volunteering at a school and with 2 offers to do a PGCE in September. :smile:

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending