The Student Room Group

Lamictal and weight loss?

I have epilepsy and I know one of the side effects is weight gain. I remember when i first started to take it my doctor said it was like a steroid. I take 200g in the morning and 300g at night. The longest I have went without a seizure is one year and a half, so I do actually like being on this medication, it has proven to be the most effective for me.

The only problem I have is if it is preventing me to lose weight? I started taking Lamictal when I was 14 and weighed 125 pounds; now I'm 19 an weigh 167 pounds. When I used to do netball, boxing and swimming from ages 11 to 14 and a half. Epilepsy made me not want to do anything but long walks.

My mum found old photographs and I saw what I used to look like, I had a jawline, I was wearing a bikini on holiday with pride. It made me feel physically sick. I decided from there that I would start to lose weight, to be able to wear a bikini on holiday this September.

I started going to a Zumba class, I went everyday of the week and I also cut down on my eating habits, I stopped eating sweets, I had my food put on a smaller plate and I was drinking 6-7 pints of water. I had only lost 4 pounds in a month (a pound each week). On average the rest of the class had lost on average 20 pounds in a month (5 pounds a week)

I just want to know is Lamictal preventing the weight loss?
Reply 1
Original post by Anonymous
I have epilepsy and I know one of the side effects is weight gain. I remember when i first started to take it my doctor said it was like a steroid. I take 200g in the morning and 300g at night. The longest I have went without a seizure is one year and a half, so I do actually like being on this medication, it has proven to be the most effective for me.

The only problem I have is if it is preventing me to lose weight? I started taking Lamictal when I was 14 and weighed 125 pounds; now I'm 19 an weigh 167 pounds. When I used to do netball, boxing and swimming from ages 11 to 14 and a half. Epilepsy made me not want to do anything but long walks.

My mum found old photographs and I saw what I used to look like, I had a jawline, I was wearing a bikini on holiday with pride. It made me feel physically sick. I decided from there that I would start to lose weight, to be able to wear a bikini on holiday this September.

I started going to a Zumba class, I went everyday of the week and I also cut down on my eating habits, I stopped eating sweets, I had my food put on a smaller plate and I was drinking 6-7 pints of water. I had only lost 4 pounds in a month (a pound each week). On average the rest of the class had lost on average 20 pounds in a month (5 pounds a week)

I just want to know is Lamictal preventing the weight loss?

Lamictal/Lamotrogine has quite a benign side effect profile, so is one of the better medications in terms of side effects it can cause. But we're all different.

However, 1 pound a week weight loss is perfectly healthy and normal. It's usually said that you should aim for 1 - 2 pounds a week. The additional weight others are losing is probably also muscle and water weight, and you want to lose as little muscle as possible.

Losing too much weight too quickly will usually involve a loss of muscle mass and also mean you're more likely to put the weight back on. Instead of thinking that the Lamictal is holding you back in losing week, think that you're actually losing weight at a healthy rate.

So, in short, 1 pound a week is fine. If you keep to this

Quick Reply

Latest