Astronomy Nerd
Badges: 3
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 6 years ago
Hi everyone, I'm new here and could really do with some help.

I'm currently studying Biology, Chemistry and Physics at A2 Level, and I applied via UCAS for a course in Molecular Biology and have received 5 conditional offers.

The thing is though, after a lot of thought, I realised that that's not the course for me. I don't want to spend my life analysing graphs and data; I want to spend it reading books.

English is my true passion (always has been), and I'm naturally gifted at it. I got A* in both english literature and language at GCSE, but I didn't take them for A-level

I regret it because I want to do an English degree. My question is, are there any universities that are likely to accept me without English A-level? (preferably somewhere in London or East Anglia)

Thank you!

Oh, just to clarify, I'll just be withdrawing my application and applying next year instead.
The Empire Odyssey
  • Study Helper
Badges: 21
Rep:
?
Report 6 years ago
Erm, definitely not. You NEED an A-level in either English lang or Lit to do a degree in it. It's like me trying to apply for Molecular Biology without doing Biology or Chemistry. It just would not work.

If you're thinking of applying for uni next year, I suggest you go college and try and do A-level English Lang/Lit in one year maybe? Or just do both English A-levels in one year perhaps?
Astronomy Nerd
Rep:
?
(Original post by Cool_JordH)
Erm, definitely not. You NEED an A-level in either English lang or Lit to do a degree in it. It's like me trying to apply for Molecular Biology without doing Biology or Chemistry. It just would not work.

If you're thinking of applying for uni next year, I suggest you go college and try and do A-level English Lang/Lit in one year maybe? Or just do both English A-levels in one year perhaps?
Damn My local college doesn't do one-year A-Levels. Guess I'm screwed, huh? :/
Pro Crastination
Badges: 19
Rep:
?
Report 6 years ago
If this makes you feel any better:

I managed to get the same GCSE grades, I love English Literature. I did take the AS/2 level in it, but I recognise that it is only a hobby and not really something that will lead to a job that I'd like to do. All I'd say is one can enjoy literature, poetry, theatre, etc, without having to study it - which might actually take some of the fun out of it. I'd say a science degree would leave you with better options as a graduate.

That said, if you know you will hate molecular biology, then it is worth reapplying.
The Empire Odyssey
  • Study Helper
Rep:
?
Report 6 years ago
(Original post by Pro Crastination)
If this makes you feel any better:

I managed to get the same GCSE grades, I love English Literature. I did take the AS/2 level in it, but I recognise that it is only a hobby and not really something that will lead to a job that I'd like to do. All I'd say is one can enjoy literature, poetry, theatre, etc, without having to study it - which might actually take some of the fun out of it. I'd say a science degree would leave you with better options as a graduate.

That said, if you know you will hate molecular biology, then it is worth reapplying.
A science degree does not leave you with better options... It depends on what you do with your degree that shows the relevance. You're not going to be much help in a BBC news room with a science degree, but likewise - I wouldn't be any use in a science lab with an English degree. All depends on what you want to do AFTER your degree!
alow
Rep:
?
Report 6 years ago
A science degree does not leave you with better options... It depends on what you do with your degree that shows the relevance. You're not going to be much help in a BBC news room with a science degree, but likewise - I wouldn't be any use in a science lab with an English degree. All depends on what you want to do AFTER your degree!
You could be a science correspondant.
The Empire Odyssey
  • Study Helper
Rep:
?
Report 6 years ago
(Original post by Astronomy Nerd)
Damn My local college doesn't do one-year A-Levels. Guess I'm screwed, huh? :/
You could phone up exam boards and enter through being a private candidate. Then self-study and get teachers from your college or secondary school (if they have any experience in teaching and marking A-level English).

Otherwise, you could go through an access course or Open Uni in English if you don't have any A-levels. This is like I think a 1-2 year online course. But it might be expensive but don't quote me on that.

in regards to the other person, it is true you do not have to LOVE Literature to study it. I have an acquaintance that just LOVES to read, literally he loves to read but he is not interested in studying English, he hated it at school. But the thing is, if you love English and you always liked GCSE, then perhaps you should pursue it. Then again, if you did say you had a passion for it, then why didn't you take it for A-level? Surely if you did love something as much as English that you claim you do, you would have wanted to develop your knowledge on it through A-level English?
The Empire Odyssey
  • Study Helper
Rep:
?
Report 6 years ago
(Original post by alow)
You could be a science correspondant.
Not without a journalism degree. You need to know how to report, how to do your research and etc etc.
Xabier
Badges: 14
Rep:
?
Report 6 years ago
Not without a journalism degree. You need to know how to report, how to do your research and etc etc.
Don't think so...
Astronomy Nerd
Rep:
?
You could phone up exam boards and enter through being a private candidate. Then self-study and get teachers from your college or secondary school (if they have any experience in teaching and marking A-level English).

Otherwise, you could go through an access course or Open Uni in English if you don't have any A-levels. This is like I think a 1-2 year online course. But it might be expensive but don't quote me on that.

in regards to the other person, it is true you do not have to LOVE Literature to study it. I have an acquaintance that just LOVES to read, literally he loves to read but he is not interested in studying English, he hated it at school. But the thing is, if you love English and you always liked GCSE, then perhaps you should pursue it. Then again, if you did say you had a passion for it, then why didn't you take it for A-level? Surely if you did love something as much as English that you claim you do, you would have wanted to develop your knowledge on it through A-level English?
I didn't take English for A-level because I was set on going for a career in astronomy. But then I failed AS maths, and you do need to be very good at maths to do an astronomy degree.

I really don't enjoy studying science at A-level, and I don't want a career in it. I honestly have no idea what I want to do as a career. All I know is that I love books, reading and writing.

Thanks for your help everyone. I guess I'll have to do some research to see what's best for me.
alow
Rep:
?
Report 6 years ago
Are you for real?

I'm pretty sure science degrees teach better investigative and research skills than the majority of humanities degrees.
The Empire Odyssey
  • Study Helper
Rep:
?
Report 6 years ago
(Original post by KingKumar)
Don't think so...
I have a friend who does journalism so don't argue against something you know nothing of.
The Empire Odyssey
  • Study Helper
Rep:
?
Report 6 years ago
(Original post by alow)
Are you for real?

I'm pretty sure science degrees teach better investigative and research skills than the majority of humanities degrees.
Yes I am for real. And I'm not saying which one is better or whatever because I am not ignorant. English Language and Linguistics would teach you research and investigative skills in linguistics and CA and etc etc. History/Classics or whatever teaches you so many different research skills that you NEED to be a good historian.

All science and humanities' degrees bring different investigative and research skills to their degrees. And I think it's quite stupid and intolerant of you to believe that Science teaches you better investigative and research skills. They are OPPOSITE subjects that you approach differently.
The Empire Odyssey
  • Study Helper
Rep:
?
Report 6 years ago
(Original post by Astronomy Nerd)
I didn't take English for A-level because I was set on going for a career in astronomy. But then I failed AS maths, and you do need to be very good at maths to do an astronomy degree.

I really don't enjoy studying science at A-level, and I don't want a career in it. I honestly have no idea what I want to do as a career. All I know is that I love books, reading and writing.

Thanks for your help everyone. I guess I'll have to do some research to see what's best for me.
What did you take at A-level? Maths, Biology, Chemistry and Physics? Were ALL these A-levels essential for Astronomy?
Dylann
Rep:
?
Report 6 years ago
Molecular biology is a more employable degree. I say keep English as a hobby!

Posted from TSR Mobile
alow
Rep:
?
Report 6 years ago
Yes I am for real. And I'm not saying which one is better or whatever because I am not ignorant. English Language and Linguistics would teach you research and investigative skills in linguistics and CA and etc etc. History/Classics or whatever teaches you so many different research skills that you NEED to be a good historian.

All science and humanities' degrees bring different investigative and research skills to their degrees. And I think it's quite stupid and intolerant of you to believe that Science teaches you better investigative and research skills. They are OPPOSITE subjects that you approach differently.
So why did you say that you would need a journalism degree to be a science correspondent?
The Empire Odyssey
  • Study Helper
Rep:
?
Report 6 years ago
(Original post by alow)
So why did you say that you would need a journalism degree to be a science correspondent?
Because it teaches you DIFFERENT investigative and research skills that will be MORE useful IN journalism, quite obviously.
alow
Rep:
?
Report 6 years ago
Because it teaches you DIFFERENT investigative and research skills that will be MORE useful IN journalism, quite obviously.
But you said need, not be more useful.
The Empire Odyssey
  • Study Helper
Rep:
?
Report 6 years ago
(Original post by alow)
But you said need, not be more useful.
You obviously NEED a journalism degree to go into journalism because that degree teaches you the RIGHT investigative and research skills for the practical world. A science degree does not prepare you for the world of work in journalism.
alow
Rep:
?
Report 6 years ago
You obviously NEED a journalism degree to go into journalism because that degree teaches you the RIGHT investigative and research skills for the practical world. A science degree does not prepare you for the world of work in journalism.
They're called transferable skills.

So do you think that you would need a degree in Economics to go into banking, or that you would need a degree in Law to work in a law firm?
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

What factors affect your mental health the most right now? (select all that apply)

Lack of purpose or routine (281)
15.28%
Uncertainty around my education (288)
15.66%
Uncertainty around my future career prospects (183)
9.95%
Isolating with family (130)
7.07%
Lack of support system (eg. Teachers, counsellors) (84)
4.57%
Lack of exercise/ability to be outside (153)
8.32%
Loneliness (182)
9.9%
Financial worries (75)
4.08%
Concern about myself or my loved ones getting ill (170)
9.24%
Exposure to negative news/social media (132)
7.18%
Lack of real life entertainment (eg. cinema, gigs, restaurants) (161)
8.75%

Watched Threads