BenH1397
Badges: 0
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 6 years ago
Im going to start sixth form in September and am planning on studying history and music. As a third choice I think I will do english literature but I am unsure where this would get me employment wise. Where would english language get me?
I'm pretty stuck for a 4th option and I am thinking a subject like geography however i am unsure as I didn't enjoy it as much as I thought I would at GCSE. Also I have no idea where the skills geography teaches could be useful in the real world. Could anyone give me information on the geography/english lit/english lang courses and where this subject combination could get me employmentwise?
mgarta11
Rep:
?
Report 6 years ago
(Original post by BenH1397)
Im going to start sixth form in September and am planning on studying history and music. As a third choice I think I will do english literature but I am unsure where this would get me employment wise. Where would english language get me?
I'm pretty stuck for a 4th option and I am thinking a subject like geography however i am unsure as I didn't enjoy it as much as I thought I would at GCSE. Also I have no idea where the skills geography teaches could be useful in the real world. Could anyone give me information on the geography/english lit/english lang courses and where this subject combination could get me employmentwise?
Here's the deal.
If you want any chance at the very top unis you want to aim for taking a really good grouping of academic a levels. English lit, a langage, maths and a science. That's what will be your ticket into the highest unis Oxbridge, LSE etc. however if you're truly keen to study geography, then do it, only if you want to put emphasis over studying a levels you want over those that will key you into the best unis

Studying English lit is inherently better than studying English Lang and my advice is just choose one over the other.. And don't look at combined. I found geography critically dull. But English as a subject is very challenging and interesting and definitely holds a measure of esteem.

All the best
BenH1397
Rep:
?
Thanks for your advice. In response to the maths/science thing I don't really have much of an interest in those areas. I understand that they are good for unis especially if you want a range of subjects but I really think that I would struggle with these subjects at a level. This is why I was thinking geography because it is linked to the sciences and is more interesting. I will think of something. Thanks
Changing Skies
Badges: 22
Rep:
?
Report 6 years ago
Thanks for your advice. In response to the maths/science thing I don't really have much of an interest in those areas. I understand that they are good for unis especially if you want a range of subjects but I really think that I would struggle with these subjects at a level. This is why I was thinking geography because it is linked to the sciences and is more interesting. I will think of something. Thanks
You don't need a science, language and maths to get into a top university. That's not true at all unless your course requires it! If you were to do history, english literature, music and geography that would be an excellent combination as all are respected literature is more respected than language so I'd be more inclined to go for that. As for career options and employment, your degree choice and grade is far more important. Of course most arts and humanities courses will be available to you, you could study a lot of things!

Posted from TSR Mobile
returnmigrant
Badges: 21
Rep:
?
Report 6 years ago
Eng Lang or Eng Lit A level isnt a vocational course - its not training you to do any specific job, its just intellectual brain training and a way of proving in the future to both Unis and employers that you have a brain. If you look at job ads they will say 'must be educated to A level', not must have an A level in Music/Geog/Literature or whatever.

The only point when 'subject' becomes important is as an admission requirement for further training or Uni entrance. For the majority of subjects there will be very specific required subjects. This is actually what you need to be thinking about - what subject or sort of subject might I study at Uni, and/or what sort of job do I want to do in the future and what training does that require?

Read both these articles :

Choosing A level subjects - http://www.thestudentroom.co.uk/wiki..._your_subjects

Choosing a Uni subject/course - http://www.thestudentroom.co.uk/wiki...sing_a_subject
Emma:-)
Badges: 19
Rep:
?
Report 6 years ago
What are you thinking of doing at uni?
BenH1397
Rep:
?
(Original post by Emma:-))
What are you thinking of doing at uni?
I don't really know. I just know that I'm not interested in the sciences so by doing these subjects I'll be leaving as many courses in the arts/humanities route open to me. I'm considering degrees in music, journalism and history but this list is likely to grow. Also does anyone know if a level drama is required to do it at uni as this is something that interests me. I know english lit is valued highly for it but is a level drama required?
returnmigrant
Badges: 21
Rep:
?
Report 6 years ago
No, a Drama degree course will not ask for Drama A level. Because not all schools teach it and in any case a Drama degree is a vastly different thing than an A level.

Just in case you aren't already aware, a Drama degree at Uni is the academic study of Drama - it isnt a practical 'acting' or 'theatre' course. Lots of people think they'll read Drama at Uni because they 'want to be an actress'. Actually a Drama degree is more like an Eng Lit degree with some contextual staging of plays - it certainly isnt a course designed to train performers. If you want that, look at Acting courses at Drama schools.

To read Drama at Uni you need a high grade in English Lit and probably another obvious essay subject like History - because thats what you'll be doing most of the time, ie. writing essays. It isnt a waste of time doing Drama A level but it certainly wont give you any advantages when applying to Uni.
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

Do you have the space and resources you need to succeed in home learning?

Yes I have everything I need (149)
61.83%
I don't have everything I need (92)
38.17%

Watched Threads