The Student Room Group

Great...

I'm in a group chat with 9 other girls. The topic of sex has come up and they are talking about sexual experiences and I'm just here on the sideline in the virgin club keeping quiet. I know it shouldn't bother me but it does. It just something a lot of girls talk about and they have some sort of a bond and I have never had sex, so obviously I have nothing to say on the matter. It's been like this for the past 8 years or so. Am I the only one that is frustrated in these situations?
Being a virgin in today's highly sexualised society actually kinda makes you like a unicorn, if that makes any sense. It does depend on your age, but it's definitely important not to let people make you think that there's something wrong with you just because you haven't lost your virginity for the sake of having sex and being able to brag about it. Losing your virginity should be something that you do once you meet someone who is special, and more importantly, once you are actually ready for it. This is just one of the many frustrations of being a teenager, but you shouldn't let it define you or hang over your head like a chore. I hope that helped, despite how clichéd and formulaic that sounded.
(edited 10 years ago)
Original post by Outcastnut13
Being a virgin in today's highly sexualised society actually kinda makes you like a unicorn, if that makes any sense. It does depend on your age, but it's definitely important not to let people make you think that there's something wrong with you just because you haven't lost your virginity for the sake of having sex and being able to brag about it. Losing your virginity should be something that you do once you meet someone who is special, and more importantly, once you are actually ready for it. This is just one of the many frustrations of being a teenager, but you shouldn't let it define you or hang over your head like a chore. I hope that helped, despite how clichéd and formulaic that sounded.

Personally I think this is BS. Why wait for someone special? Losing your V invariably SUCKS and is terribly awkward. No one ever stays with their first love (mostly never) so why make it harder on yourself to have that additional link/pressure to stay together?

To the OP, don't worry about being a virgin, as the guy above says that makes you a pretty rare creature! It's nothing to be ashamed of in the slightest, and it's a shame we live in a society where people think it is.

I bet lots of those girls regret at least one person they've done it with, it's not all hearts and flowers (in fact it's hardly ever that..).
Reply 3

Thanks. I'm past the teenager stage though I'm almost 25! I've never allowed the pressure get to me or make me want to do it for the sake of it. I'm at the stage where I'm thinking about it soo much , however I'm single. I have heard it all, I've had girls try to be little me because of it but it doesn't bother me. When I have sex it will be because I'm ready.
(edited 10 years ago)
Original post by Viva Emptiness
Personally I think this is BS. Why wait for someone special? Losing your V invariably SUCKS and is terribly awkward. No one ever stays with their first love (mostly never) so why make it harder on yourself to have that additional link/pressure to stay together?

To the OP, don't worry about being a virgin, as the guy above says that makes you a pretty rare creature! It's nothing to be ashamed of in the slightest, and it's a shame we live in a society where people think it is.

I bet lots of those girls regret at least one person they've done it with, it's not all hearts and flowers (in fact it's hardly ever that..).

That is true. I never really did say that it's an amazing experience, it is definitely one of the most awkward experiences you can put yourself through, and even uncomfortable too. But doing it with someone you can trust or you think is important to you can make it feel a lot less uncomfortable and awkward. It's certainly better than to just any random guy. And although your second point is rather pessimistic, I can see what you mean by it. But it's not about falling in love with the person you do it with, but rather to have a mutual sense of trust between the two of you. I know I'm sounding incredibly clichéd, but I really cannot think of any other way to articulate my points, right now.
Reply 5

See, you're still telling people how to have sex, just from the other side. If you want to wait until marriage, that's great. If you want to shag ****loads of people, that's great too. Just as long as you're doing what you want to do.

I guess the sex part could just be substituted for something else, like football if you weren't a football fan. If your friends know you're a virgin there's being a bit thoughtless, if I'm around a friend who I know hasn't had much sex I minimise the talk about it. It's a weird thing you do subconsciously, then that friend leaves and it becomes the main topic of conversation...
Original post by phunky_fresh
Thanks. I'm past the teenager stage though I'm almost 25! I've never allowed the pressure get to me or make me want to do it for the sake of it. I'm at the stage where I'm thinking about it soo much , however I'm single. I have heard it all, I've had girls try to be little me because of it but it doesn't bother me. When I have sex it will be because I'm ready.

It's not a race against time. Society does seem to subtly hint at the fact that there is a set expiry date for people's life achievements, when in reality these things hardly ever go to plan. As long as it doesn't bother you or get to you, you're perfectly fine. It will happen when it does. And if your friends cannot respect you because you haven't had sex yet, well you need to reconsider them as friends, really.
That is true. I never really did say that it's an amazing experience, it is definitely one of the most awkward experiences you can put yourself through, and even uncomfortable too. But doing it with someone you can trust or you think is important to you can make it feel a lot less uncomfortable and awkward. It's certainly better than to just any random guy. And although your second point is rather pessimistic, I can see what you mean by it. But it's not about falling in love with the person you do it with, but rather to have a mutual sense of trust between the two of you. I know I'm sounding incredibly clichéd, but I really cannot think of any other way to articulate my points, right now.

This is true - the trust/safe environment factor is the only thing going in it's favour imo.
Original post by Mankytoes
See, you're still telling people how to have sex, just from the other side. If you want to wait until marriage, that's great. If you want to shag ****loads of people, that's great too. Just as long as you're doing what you want to do.

Well I certainly am not trying to come across like that, I guess that was a badly phrased sentence.
Reply 9
Get new friends...from Virgin club.
It's not a race against time. Society does seem to subtly hint at the fact that there is a set expiry date for people's life achievements, when in reality these things hardly ever go to plan. As long as it doesn't bother you or get to you, you're perfectly fine. It will happen when it does. And if your friends cannot respect you because you haven't had sex yet, well you need to reconsider them as friends, really.

I hear you. My friends haven't really said anything tbh. Half the girls in the convo I've seen a couple of times so they have no clue. My friends in the convo know the situation and have never said anything to make me feel uncomfortable.
Original post by Viva Emptiness

I'm not at all ashamed. Whenever I've asked I have always been honest about it. Just had the odd person say something unnecessary.
Original post by SoftPunch
Get new friends...from Virgin club.

Oh yeah sounds like a plan -_-
Reply 13
Original post by phunky_fresh
Oh yeah sounds like a plan -_-

Or just be a listener and watch out for tips. World doesn't spin around you, you know...
Original post by SoftPunch
Or just be a listener and watch out for tips. World doesn't spin around you, you know...

Right.
-_-

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending