The Student Room Group

First class!!

Hello people,

In my previous posts I mentioned that i had difficulty with courseworks and got a measly 40 in my first 2nd year of law. Now finally after hours of hard work i am now getting firsts in all my courseworks thus far!! So proud of this. However, i need to figure out and hope someone will help me on this......
To get an overall first in each separate module (i have 4 in total for year 2) with first class courseworks in most which weigh 30% or 40% and exams weigh 60%, how many marks do i need to get in the exams in each module to get a first overall in the modules?

and in the one coursework i got 45 marks, how many marks would i need to get a 2:1 overall as getting a first in this is impossible

Also what's the best way to revise...I memorise and read stuff but can only remember it when i glance at the book (confusing i know) and not off the top of my head properly

also im not as motivated as i was last year :/
Reply 1
Original post by studentx100
Hello people,

In my previous posts I mentioned that i had difficulty with courseworks and got a measly 40 in my first 2nd year of law. Now finally after hours of hard work i am now getting firsts in all my courseworks thus far!! So proud of this. However, i need to figure out and hope someone will help me on this......
To get an overall first in each separate module (i have 4 in total for year 2) with first class courseworks in most which weigh 30% or 40% and exams weigh 60%, how many marks do i need to get in the exams in each module to get a first overall in the modules?

and in the one coursework i got 45 marks, how many marks would i need to get a 2:1 overall as getting a first in this is impossible

Also what's the best way to revise...I memorise and read stuff but can only remember it when i glance at the book (confusing i know) and not off the top of my head properly

also im not as motivated as i was last year :/

can't tell you anything if you don't tell me what weighting the essay has
Reply 2
Original post by tehforum
can't tell you anything if you don't tell me what weighting the essay has

i did in the post, it weighs either 30% or 40%- can't remember which one though
Reply 3
i did in the post, it weighs either 30% or 40%- can't remember which one though

for 30%

45% * 30% = 12.5% achieved
Need 47.5% out of 70

An 68% to get a 2:i

for 40%

45* 40% = 18% achieved
Need 60% for a 2:i
Reply 4
for 30%

Need 47.5% out of 70

for 40%

45* 40% = 18% achieved

and to get a 1st overall in the courseworks i got a first in?
and to get a 1st overall in the courseworks i got a first in?

How would anyone be able to answer that when we don't know what mark you got in the coursework? If you got 100 in the coursework you obviously need less in the exam to get a first overall than if you got 70 in the coursework.
for 30%

Need 47.5% out of 70

for 40%

45* 40% = 18% achieved

The second one should be 70% needed in exam to get a 2:1. I think you did 42% needed / 70% remaining. But there is only 60% remaining in this calculation as the hypothesis was that the essay counts for 40%. 42/60 = 70% needed.

The first one is also wrong. 45% * 30% is not 12.5%, it's 13.5%. Needed 46.5% out of 70% remaining = 66.5% needed.

Good job you're a lawyer and not an accountant :smile:
Reply 7
Original post by Forum User
The second one should be 70% needed in exam to get a 2:1. I think you did 42% needed / 70% remaining. But there is only 60% remaining in this calculation as the hypothesis was that the essay counts for 40%. 42/60 = 70% needed.

The first one is also wrong. 45% * 30% is not 12.5%, it's 13.5%. Needed 46.5% out of 70% remaining = 66.5% needed.

Good job you're a lawyer and not an accountant :smile:

oh dear, mental maths is normally my strong point.... i blame4 hours sleep
Hi Guys,
I'm not sure if this is the right place to post this, but I could really do with some advice. I am currently a final year law student and desperately need help to get a 2:1. This year I have averaged at 55% for 1/6 of final year weighting (75% overall degree) For another module I have gained 68%. Please can you tell me what I am doing wrong to get 55% in essays. If I could maybe send you my essays and you could tell me what is wrong with my style of writing and arguments? Alternatively, I would really appreciate it if you guys have any good old formative assignments that you got high 2:1s/1:1s in that you wouldn't mind sharing? I am really stuck and honestly don't know where I am going wrong. My last year average was 58% but I need to get a 1st in my next essay and in some exams to do well PLEASE HELP ME :'(
Reply 9
Original post by RedbrickLaw
Hi Guys,
I'm not sure if this is the right place to post this, but I could really do with some advice. I am currently a final year law student and desperately need help to get a 2:1. This year I have averaged at 55% for 1/6 of final year weighting (75% overall degree) For another module I have gained 68%. Please can you tell me what I am doing wrong to get 55% in essays. If I could maybe send you my essays and you could tell me what is wrong with my style of writing and arguments? Alternatively, I would really appreciate it if you guys have any good old formative assignments that you got high 2:1s/1:1s in that you wouldn't mind sharing? I am really stuck and honestly don't know where I am going wrong. My last year average was 58% but I need to get a 1st in my next essay and in some exams to do well PLEASE HELP ME :'(

Is this not what your lecturers and/or personal tutor is supposed to help you with? I'd definitely go see them as your first port of call.

Posted from TSR Mobile
I have seen them but they are not willing to cooperate with me. Do you have any advice?
Reply 11
I have seen them but they are not willing to cooperate with me. Do you have any advice?

Go higher up.

What uni?

This is appalling tbh.
I know University of Bristol. Why do you ask? They keep saying by final year you should know what you're doing and have such high expectations but clearly that's not true for me :frown:
Reply 13
I know University of Bristol. Why do you ask? They keep saying by final year you should know what you're doing and have such high expectations but clearly that's not true for me :frown:

I got an offer from them.

I was not impressed by the students and their attitude. Though the city is amazing :frown:

PM me one of your essays and I'll critique it.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending