The Student Room Group

He was killed whilst trying to cross the border to the UK

Scroll to see replies

Original post by StUdEnTIGCSE
No please don't

Don't mistake it to wine! :banghead:

:biggrin: You can bring some with you then:biggrin:
Original post by Snagprophet
Oh I forgot about all the Australian asylum seekers we get.

Sorry... What About Romanians? Bulgarians? I've met a few refugees from said countries also Albania is not Asia or Africa, Kosovo is not Asia or Africa, Macedonia is not Asia or Africa, Montenegro is not Asia or Africa. Serbia is not Asia or Africa

Oh Also
Azerbaijan, Georgia, Kazakhstan, Russia and to a lesser extent Turkey (97% in Asia) all have territory in both Asia and Europe.

I will go on: Bolivia, Brazil, Columbia, Mexico, Argentina, Chili, Peru. Yes most of these tend to enter illegaly in the USA but they do also come here to the UK.

So what was that about just Asians and Africans..... :/
Original post by Sherry1993
Sorry... What About Romanians? Bulgarians? I've met a few refugees from said countries also Albania is not Asia or Africa, Kosovo is not Asia or Africa, Macedonia is not Asia or Africa, Montenegro is not Asia or Africa. Serbia is not Asia or Africa

Oh Also
Azerbaijan, Georgia, Kazakhstan, Russia and to a lesser extent Turkey (97% in Asia) all have territory in both Asia and Europe.

I will go on: Bolivia, Brazil, Columbia, Mexico, Argentina, Chili, Peru. Yes most of these tend to enter illegaly in the USA but they do also come here to the UK.

So what was that about just Asians and Africans..... :/

I don't think Eastern Europe offers a flood of billions quite on the scale Africa and Asia do.
I don't think Eastern Europe offers a flood of billions quite on the scale Africa and Asia do.

But this is where you actually have to be a little more open... I would say there are way less Africans than there are Eastern Europeans. Asians no.

I think your putting it down to skin colour... Just because you cant identify some Eastern Europeans because their skin tone is lighter, olive so not to far of your own (I am guessing your white) So you fail to realise that they are possibly from Kosovo, Albania etc and mistake them for Polish, French, Italian, German or some other European country that do have more rights to enter the Uk. Its a little arrogant what your saying really.

To back that here are som statistics.. I know its a few years ago I will try and find a more up to date one..

But Africans only take up 12% of immagrants... http://www.ethnicity.ac.uk/population/size.html

Subsantially low.
Reply 185
Sherry1993
x
Original post by Studentus-anonymous
Ironically enough the amount of people from poorer countries who enter legally then disappear off the grid is the reason your partner's family are having so much trouble.
this

the reason why British Embassies and consulates have to be restrictive with visas is that many persons enter the UK on tourist/family visit/study visas and then simply overstay and disappear

for this reason, visas will be handed out after careful enquiries : sometimes, perfectly legitimate applicants may be excluded of course - this is bound to happen. There is no perfect system.

Instead of blaming the British people and the state, how about you save some of that easy indignation for say other Albanians who fiddle the system?
exactly

in fact, strict requirements for visas represent a guarantee for bona-fide applicants, as compared with prospective abusers of the system

As mentioned just because your partner is in the UK confers no entry rights to anyone else regardless of relation.

You can voice your opinion all you want but it doesn't change the law.
there is no "right" to migrate anywhere. As far as the UK is concerned, only EU/EEA citizens have a "right" to migrate to the UK. This, because EU/EEA countries are considered as sufficiently integrated (politically, economically, culturally).

EU late-comers (Romanians, Bulgarians) have difficulties in adapting in the UK, but in the end there shouldn't be too many problems (just as it happened in the past with Poles, Hungarians etc)

One day, Albanians may receive the same treatment, but that day is still quite a few years away

let's hope for the future
(edited 10 years ago)
Some people on here are heartless. Death is tragic and no on deserves it. Sad world we live in.

Really wish they could find peace in their own country.
Sick, sick attitudes by some on here.
"Shame it didn't happen to all three of them"
"Don't feel sorry at all."

Feel how you want about immigration, these were desperate people in desperate circumstances that none of us, with our cushy homes, food on our table, and (relative to the developing world) real peace in our country can begin to comprehend. One died in horrific circumstances and the others had to watch their companion getting ripped to pieces.

Yet people with no empathy for other human beings, even when they are killed in the most tragic of circumstances, get precious green gems. Disgusting.

RIP.
Original post by buchanan700
Sick, sick attitudes by some on here.
"Shame it didn't happen to all three of them"
"Don't feel sorry at all."

Feel how you want about immigration, these were desperate people in desperate circumstances that none of us, with our cushy homes, food on our table, and (relative to the developing world) real peace in our country can begin to comprehend. One died in horrific circumstances and the others had to watch their companion getting ripped to pieces.

Yet people with no empathy for other human beings, even when they are killed in the most tragic of circumstances, get precious green gems. Disgusting.

RIP.

It wouldn't have happened if they'd stopped in France, or one of the other safe countries they passed through.
Original post by Skip_Snip
It wouldn't have happened if they'd stopped in France, or one of the other safe countries they passed through.

...how is that relevant? Why does that make it any less tragic? Ifs and buts do not detract from the fact that this poor man died.
I hope the lorry driver was caught and charged with at least manslaughter. He knew the guys were jumping out.
Reply 190
Not in countries where poverty exists.
not in countries where dictatorship exists
not in countrys where there is no cirriculam or standard of education....

Poverty exists in every country.
Singapore is a de-facto dictatorship.
Every country has a curriculum and at least some educational standards.
Albania is doing a hell of a lot to improve their country, hence why they are sitting as potential candidates to join the EU. There has been huge improvements since the 90's and the new leader Edi Rama is doing increasingly well to improve the country, but again the british government do not want to share that info with the public.

Genuinely glad to hear it (I am not unfamiliar with Albania's history and contemporary issues) though not really the point.

At the end of the day the UK has as much right to accept or reject visitors as much as Albania does.

Yes you heard right, that sovereign right goes both ways.

Because ultimately Britain has no obligation to provide anything to Albanians. That is the job of their own state. Your partner's family can demand a lot from their government in Albania. They have no such rights to the privileges of the British state, such as free entry into the country like a British citizen.

As mentioned there are many reasons all perfectly rational as to why your partner's family have struggled to gain entry to the country. They have been deemed not to have met the requirements. This in of itself is not proof that immigration controls are 'wrong' but simply that unfortunately yes, the British state has deemed his family not to have proven valid grounds for entry (even ignoring the fact a state can deny someone entry completely arbitrarily and without issue as again they have no rights to entry as foreign nationals).

For what it's worth I hope you and your partner's family can meet up and enjoy a nice holiday (be it finally given leave to enter or even a holiday in a sunnier country!), and it's a shame that the world isn't perfect and can inconvenience and disappoint many. But such is life, c'est la vie.
Reply 192
x

You should stop talking about your personal issues. They must have had some reason to reject your relatives, end of story.
Original post by Slyca
and you are one of the reasons why this world is so sick in the head. I can't believe how people find it okay for someone to just get murdered like that because of a "border." Such a sad world.

Well they passed through many safe countries and borders to get here they should have stayed in one of them countries then what happened wouldn't have happened, so is due to their stupidity that it happened
Reply 194
Original post by letsbehonest
Some people on here are heartless. Death is tragic and no on deserves it. Sad world we live in.
while we may feel human solidarity for people in a difficult situation, this does not mean we condone their actions

the two aspects of the issue are quite different

when migrants end up on rickety boats in mid-Mediterranean and risk drowning, the Italian and Maltese coast guard does try to take them ashore and save them

this does not mean that they will automatically get visas or asylum
(edited 10 years ago)
Original post by QuantumOverlord
Are you actually being serious when you say "shame it didn't happen to all three of them"?

If border control was more efficient immigrants wouldn't have to die trying to get into the country; besides it can't be that much fun living in Iran; you don't know you would do the same thing if you were in their position. Its only luck that you live in britian in the first place.

Why yes, last time I looked Iran wasn't at the other end of the channel tunnel it was france unless it has changed in the past day, also didn't know Iran was bordered with france, oh wait thats right it isn't Iran is no where near, so they passed through a fair few countries which compared to any middle east crap hole country is better, even the crap hole eastern european countries are better than the middle east, they had no call to come to the UK anyway when they passed through so many countries.

You're one of these people I can see that want our borders open to everyone which is totally ridiculous because we are only a small country and have more than enough immigrants
(edited 10 years ago)
The dislike button should be reinstated for threads like this.

Posted from TSR Mobile
RIP to the lad :frown:
Reply 198
Original post by scorpion95
Well they passed through many safe countries and borders to get here they should have stayed in one of them countries then what happened wouldn't have happened, so is due to their stupidity that it happened

How would you know its safe? Did you do exactly what they did? I don't think so. Please don't throw bull**** at me. Their country itself might of not been safe for them, you think they would of thought that they were safe when they were leaving, they probably wanted to get as far away as they could.
Original post by scorpion95
Why yes, last time I looked Iran wasn't at the other end of the channel tunnel it was france unless it has changed in the past day, also didn't know Iran was bordered with france, oh wait thats right it isn't Iran is no where near, so they passed through a fair few countries which compared to any middle east crap hole country is better, even the crap hole eastern european countries are better than the middle east, they had no call to come to the UK anyway when they passed through so many countries.

You're one of these people I can see that want our borders open to everyone which is totally ridiculous because we are only a small country and have more than enough immigrants

Please don't make up (or at the very least infer) stuff that I didn't say.

Yes that's a fair enough point, but desperate people do naive and ultimately stupid things. That doesn't make the death any less of a tragedy, and something that still should have been reported.

One thing that I don't get though, immigrants get such a bad press; yet relatively speaking; they contribute favorably and are far less likely to be a leach on the economy than someone native to the UK.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending