WJEC IT3 Exam thread (17th June 2014) Watch

ttreb
Badges: 11
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 5 years ago
Hi everyone, haven't really seen a thread for this exam so I thought I would start one.

Hope everyone's revision or studying is going well, and what are your thoughts on this exam?
ChrisTMH
Badges: 7
Rep:
?
Report 5 years ago
I will be sitting this exam in summer, and I haven't started revising for it. I haven't looked at past papers either, but judging at how difficult the IT1 exam was, it's safe to presume that it will be quite difficult. (The average grade in the UK achieved since the beginning of the exam's creation is a U, only 3 people including me got above a U with that exam)
ttreb
Rep:
?
(Original post by ChrisTMH)
I will be sitting this exam in summer, and I haven't started revising for it. I haven't looked at past papers either, but judging at how difficult the IT1 exam was, it's safe to presume that it will be quite difficult. (The average grade in the UK achieved since the beginning of the exam's creation is a U, only 3 people including me got above a U with that exam)

I found the IT1 exam very nice and managed to get an A on it! But I completely hear what you're saying. WJEC are renowned for their harsh mark-scheme only answers and the only way I did get the A grade on the IT1 paper was thanks to rote learning every single mark scheme and past paper.

I'm aware of the national average of a U statistic but following the mark scheme is the best thing to do to abolish that. Are you retaking the IT1 exam ?
ChrisTMH
Rep:
?
Report 5 years ago
(Original post by ttreb)
I found the IT1 exam very nice and managed to get an A on it! But I completely hear what you're saying. WJEC are renowned for their harsh mark-scheme only answers and the only way I did get the A grade on the IT1 paper was thanks to rote learning every single mark scheme and past paper.

I'm aware of the national average of a U statistic but following the mark scheme is the best thing to do to abolish that. Are you retaking the IT1 exam ?
I am, as I've found the IT3 exam to just be the IT1 exam with some extra bits...so I thought, revise for IT3 and IT1 should work out.

For IT1, I had revised quite a bit for a couple of months, and had gone over the past papers to see what I could learn. Though, in the end, it didn't help much and it was still quite hard.
ttreb
Rep:
?
(Original post by ChrisTMH)
I am, as I've found the IT3 exam to just be the IT1 exam with some extra bits...so I thought, revise for IT3 and IT1 should work out.

For IT1, I had revised quite a bit for a couple of months, and had gone over the past papers to see what I could learn. Though, in the end, it didn't help much and it was still quite hard.
Best advice I've got is just revising the mark-schemes word for word as I said. 6 of us in our IT class managed to get A's on the IT1 so as far as I'm concerned it works. Just wish WJEC didn't operate that way.

How far are you in terms of learning all of the IT3 topics? According to my teacher we've finished which is crazy because IT1 seemingly lasted for ever.
ChrisTMH
Rep:
?
Report 5 years ago
(Original post by ttreb)
Best advice I've got is just revising the mark-schemes word for word as I said. 6 of us in our IT class managed to get A's on the IT1 so as far as I'm concerned it works. Just wish WJEC didn't operate that way.

How far are you in terms of learning all of the IT3 topics? According to my teacher we've finished which is crazy because IT1 seemingly lasted for ever.
You're lucky then, out of those I know in my year, I do a lot more exam prep than most...but I guess, I'm just not made out for exams...part of the reason why I want to go to Aber, as most of it is practically examined.

It's quite unusual, at GCSE I did better in exams that I didn't revise much for..for example, I used to get E's and F's in History in year 11 with their rubbish essay formatting, content analysis...so after a day of revision, I did it how I would write a normal piece of work and got a high B...same went for most of the subjects.

We're nowhere near the middle of IT3 yet, our head of ICT left and everything has been up in the air. He didn't do much, so our new teacher has only a few months to teach us the entire course...and I've looked at it, and it seems quite big, though luckily not as big as IT1.
SJL1
Badges: 0
Rep:
?
Report 4 years ago
Are the exams different this year? I took them both in 2013 and I am resitting both in summer, they were both out of 120 last year but on the wjec website they are out of 80 now?
SJL1
Rep:
?
Report 4 years ago
Also if I got a B on the coursework for IT4 what will I need to get an A overall? Considering I got an A (69/80) for IT2 AS coursework, grade boundaries confuse me greatly.
Pirouette
Badges: 10
Rep:
?
Report 4 years ago
I took this exam in January 2014 and achieved an A. I have to re-iterate that the best way to prepare for this exam is to learn the mark scheme word-for-word. Three people in my class achieved an A, and one (not me, unfortunately) even got over 90% and we all used this method of revision. Do past paper after past paper and you'll be on track. There is definitely a lot less content than IT1 in my opinion, but you have to know it more in depth.

The UMS are still out of 120, I got 102 which was a low-middle A. Not bad since I was pretty sure I messed up on the exam, though I can't say exactly on what since I seemed to have erased those two and a half hours of hell from my mind forever. Anyone who has questions about the exam please feel free to ask. I'm honestly glad to see the back of this module, do not envy you guys one bit! Good luck with all your revision!
ttreb
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 4 years ago
(Original post by Pirouette)
I took this exam in January 2014 and achieved an A. I have to re-iterate that the best way to prepare for this exam is to learn the mark scheme word-for-word. Three people in my class achieved an A, and one (not me, unfortunately) even got over 90% and we all used this method of revision. Do past paper after past paper and you'll be on track. There is definitely a lot less content than IT1 in my opinion, but you have to know it more in depth.

The UMS are still out of 120, I got 102 which was a low-middle A. Not bad since I was pretty sure I messed up on the exam, though I can't say exactly on what since I seemed to have erased those two and a half hours of hell from my mind forever. Anyone who has questions about the exam please feel free to ask. I'm honestly glad to see the back of this module, do not envy you guys one bit! Good luck with all your revision!
Wow congratulations on doing so well! I agree, mark-schemeswith WJEC are always the way forward, it just seems such a ridiculous method. I’vemanaged to complete all of the flashcards now (literally every card is from themark scheme) and these next few months are going to be killer trying to learnthem all word for word.
I can’t wait to be in your position this time next year whenI can finally remove WJEC from my life
Samadams41
Rep:
?
Report 4 years ago
Hey there, I'm sitting the IT3 Exam on June the 17th. I agree that the best method of revision is to learn the mark schemes word by word, because that's what I basically did last year (but not too well, which is why I only got a high C) Now, i'm not too fussed with the coursework because i'm fairly certain i'll get an A in the IT4 and already have an A for the IT2 unit. However, this exam's probably the hardest (and last) exam I'll sit before University... in short, do you know where I can find any mark schemes? I've found past papers and questions everywhere, but if you have any/know anyone who has mark schemes (except those that can be found on the WJEC website) then please let me know!

Sorry, that was meant to be a reply to Pirouette but if anyone else has the mark schemes... then let me know
sasunerd
Badges: 1
Rep:
?
Report 4 years ago
One thing I've learned by now is actually using the mark scheme for revision which is not what I did for my AS exam. Daaaaamn.

But I'm having some trouble with writing an exam answer mostly because I don't know how to fully explain or "describe in detail".
NotMyToothbrush
Badges: 16
Rep:
?
Report 4 years ago
Please note, IT3 is not as easy as it seems.

I took WJEC ICT last year, I got almost 100% in IT1, IT2 and IT4 but only getting a C grade in IT3 lost me my A* :'(
ttreb
Rep:
?
(Original post by NotMyToothbrush)
Please note, IT3 is not as easy as it seems.

I took WJEC ICT last year, I got almost 100% in IT1, IT2 and IT4 but only getting a C grade in IT3 lost me my A* :'(
Woah thanks for the heads up. I'm sorry about your A*, do you know why you didn't do well? WJEC are the worst.
NotMyToothbrush
Badges: 16
Rep:
?
Report 4 years ago
(Original post by ttreb)
Woah thanks for the heads up. I'm sorry about your A*, do you know why you didn't do well? WJEC are the worst.
No idea why. I still got the highest score in my school with just a C though. Everybody did bad in it for some reason.

It wasn't even like it was the teaching, I self-taught myself the subject whilst the others were taught by 2 teachers. it was the exam/syllabus itself.

I'm still angry about not having that A*
I was relying on that to get into university - luckily they let me in anyway.
ttreb
Rep:
?
(Original post by NotMyToothbrush)
No idea why. I still got the highest score in my school with just a C though. Everybody did bad in it for some reason.

It wasn't even like it was the teaching, I self-taught myself the subject whilst the others were taught by 2 teachers. it was the exam/syllabus itself.

I'm still angry about not having that A*
I was relying on that to get into university - luckily they let me in anyway.
Weird. I dislike WJEC because like you have proved, they seem to change their marking over the years, so what one year classed as an A, could now be classed as a C. Congrats on getting into uni though, glad they still accepted you.
DarkChaoz95
Badges: 18
Rep:
?
Report 4 years ago
well i got Law exam on that same day 2 hrs duration too -_-

so its gunna be hard to revise for ICT since i have small time gap to revise.

My teacher says I need to get 70 marks in the exam to get A*, so far Im the only one in my ICT course thats targeted A*, I had the only A grade for ICT last year.
ttreb
Rep:
?
(Original post by DarkChaoz95)
well i got Law exam on that same day 2 hrs duration too -_-

so its gunna be hard to revise for ICT since i have small time gap to revise.

My teacher says I need to get 70 marks in the exam to get A*, so far Im the only one in my ICT course thats targeted A*, I had the only A grade for ICT last year.
Luckily ICT for me is my final exam, and isn't on the same day as another (although my English and Psychology exams are...I feel your pain). I'm not essentially aiming for A* but if I can get good marks on the coursework and the exam, there is hope. I heard WJEC ICT awarding A* is extremely rare however. Can only do our best.
DarkChaoz95
Badges: 18
Rep:
?
Report 4 years ago
(Original post by ttreb)
Luckily ICT for me is my final exam, and isn't on the same day as another (although my English and Psychology exams are...I feel your pain). I'm not essentially aiming for A* but if I can get good marks on the coursework and the exam, there is hope. I heard WJEC ICT awarding A* is extremely rare however. Can only do our best.
For the coursework I got 100/100 my teacher cant find any flaws in my work, Im hoping wjec doesnt find any either.

indeed, for all our sakes, lets hope this year the exam boards are lenient in marking seeing as this is the first year with no jan exams.
ttreb
Rep:
?
How is revision going for everyone? Surprisingly ICT is the only exam I feel confident about. WJEC will knock that confidence down for me though in the exam haha.
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

University open days

• University of Roehampton
    Department of Humanities; Department of Drama, Theatre and Performance; Department of Social Sciences; Department of English and Creative Writing Undergraduate
    Wed, 20 Feb '19
  • Keele University
    Postgraduate Open Afternoon Postgraduate
    Wed, 20 Feb '19
  • Manchester Metropolitan University
    Postgraduate Open Day Postgraduate
    Wed, 20 Feb '19

Do you give blood?

Yes (73)
7.82%
I used to but I don't now (26)
2.79%