The Student Room Group

a levels for medicine?!?

Hey, I want to study medicine at university, and I need to pick my a levels by next Wednesday. I am going to take biology and chemistry, and I was just wondering whether I need to take maths at a level? I know it isn't a requirement for most universities, but I would need it to do well with the UKcat? And finally, as my fourth subject, which of the following do you think would be best? French, History, English Literature? Thanks!
Reply 1
Original post by livinwonderland
Hey, I want to study medicine at university, and I need to pick my a levels by next Wednesday. I am going to take biology and chemistry, and I was just wondering whether I need to take maths at a level? I know it isn't a requirement for most universities, but I would need it to do well with the UKcat? And finally, as my fourth subject, which of the following do you think would be best? French, History, English Literature? Thanks!

can't go wrong with biology, chemistry and maths, and as for the fourth, whichever you enjoy more out of those options!
I do French, English Lit, History and maths. Definitely do maths, it's so epic!! And for medicine any would compliment it really well! French could be useful, in the summer, in France I was bitten by a spider and had to go to hospital-- my French came in really handy and some of the doctors knew some English too which helped. Languages are also epic.

Do whichever fourth subject sounds most interesting to you. Any would compliment the others really well. I love history(applied to do history at Uni) and English lit A level is SO much better than GCSE.

Some of the topics in French may be really interesting from a medic point of view. Languages will always broaden your horizons and not many people do languages beyond GCSE so it'll make you stand out.

Go over what topics books/era of history your school do and think about which appeals to you the most and what you find interesting :smile:

Posted from TSR Mobile

Quick Reply

Latest