The Student Room Group

Is the UKcat hard, harder than BMAT?

which one should i take, which one is more beneficial? (p.s. i want to go into medicine)
Reply 1
I'm sure you can find more info explaining the BMAT and UKCAT on their official websites.

Bmat is only required by some medical schools e.g. Oxbridge etc.

Ukcat is required by others so you have to check which test is required by the uni you wish to apply for.

Some schools such as Birmingham and bristol don't require a test but will obviously be looking for other things in your application.

From doing practice papers, I'd say that the bmat is definitely harder :/ you have to decide what uni you want to apply for before deciding which test to take.

Posted from TSR Mobile
(edited 10 years ago)
They're quite different tests. The UKCAT is an aptitude test, with sections for mathematical, abstract etc. reasoning, while the BMAT is a more traditional admissions test, testing scientific knowledge, logic and essay writing. To choose which to do I would work out which schools you want to apply to and do the ones they want. Quite possibly you'll end up doing both - I did. Don't let which one is used affect where you apply.

Quick Reply

Latest