Halls or student house for a mature student?

Watch
jermay88
Badges: 2
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 6 years ago
I'm 25 and starting Bristol University in September. I will be almost 26 but look more like Im 30 (so I'm told).

I'm not shy and I do love getting to know new people but would prefer to stay with people my own age. I heard that at some uni's they will put mature students with other mature students or postgraduates. At Bristol Uni they said I'd have to stay in halls with the other 18 year olds, or could get a smaller student house with others or go private.

I'm just not sure which option to take. Are there many other mature students which stay in the halls? I get on with all ages, but I imagine I'd want to study hard and heard that halls can be quite frantic; a bunch of 18 year olds being set free for the first time!

At the same time, I would like to make lots of friends whilst at university, and worry that if i stayed in a student house I might not be able to do this? Any ideas or suggestions?
Clip
Badges: 19
Rep:
?
Report 6 years ago
Halls. 26 isn't old enough to be coccooning yourself off like that. If you look old, basically you will be fulfilling a prophecy of being different by acting old, too.
Bright_blonde
Badges: 0
Rep:
?
Report 6 years ago
(Original post by Clip)
Halls. 26 isn't old enough to be coccooning yourself off like that. If you look old, basically you will be fulfilling a prophecy of being different by acting old, too.
Nice use of a self fulfilling prophecy there!
I think it very much depends on what your goals are - do you want to go with the aim of getting a 1:1 - if so maybe halls isnt the right place as it is often noisy....
Maybe find out whether they have a mature students association - that's one way of making friends, although I really do think it's inevitable that you will!
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

Should there be a new university admissions system that ditches predicted grades?

No, I think predicted grades should still be used to make offers (567)
34.26%
Yes, I like the idea of applying to uni after I received my grades (PQA) (681)
41.15%
Yes, I like the idea of receiving offers only after I receive my grades (PQO) (332)
20.06%
I think there is a better option than the ones suggested (let us know in the thread!) (75)
4.53%

Watched Threads