The Student Room Group

Urgent help needed really confused

I'm really confused here, so my situation is:

I'm on a gap year having received my A-level results last year and never achieved the grades I needed in Biology. So I'm resitting a few units in Biology to bump up my grade and take on another new subject business studies (self taught). BUT for my UCAS application I sent it with my school saying to the universities I'm basically resitting biology to upgrade the result and taking on a new subject and this was all done from my school being my referee and they gave me also the predicted grades for those subjects sent to the universities.

BUT THE PROBLEM IS IT'S COMING TO EXAM TIME AND I TOLD THE EXAMINERS OFFICE IN MY SCHOOL TO ENTER ME FOR THE EXAMS AND SHE REFUSED!....SHE SAID SHES NOT OBLIGED to say. The school JUST won't let me sit any exams there!!!...

So what do I do???

If I go to a different center- I found two (one I can resit my Biology ISA unit 3) and the other where I can resit the biology written paper uni 1 and take on business studies written paper.

How the **** would UCAS receive my grades if there not from the same school I registered with UCAS from and from two different AQA registered centers???!!!!!
(edited 10 years ago)
Firstly, I am sorry you have been put in this horrible situation. It is extremely unreasonable of the examinations officer to have said that. I think you need to get your head of year/sixth form to explain that you had an agreement you were doing resits. My experience with examination officers has not been positive- they forgot to certify my English Literature AS retake last year and then asked me to fork out a late fee to pay for it! I would put a lot of pressure to get them to do it. If all else fails, try a different centre OR ask about being "a private candidate" at your current centre.
Reply 2
Omg! That's horrible, so sorry! -.-

However, I think if you sit it at a different center, they would send your previous sixth form/college your results on results day or you can give them your ucas number if they deal with university applications...
Had they previously agreed to let you sit your retakes and new subject there? If so, do you have any correspondence to that effect?
Reply 4
Original post by ageshallnot
Had they previously agreed to let you sit your retakes and new subject there? If so, do you have any correspondence to that effect?

Well my ucas application done from school says so. Like it says im taking the exams there..but at the end of the day its the examiner offices choice right? Let if they dont want to let me its up to them :/...i alreadt found another two centers..ones letting me do the bio isa there whilst the other is letting me do all my written paper exams. I contacted UCAS but no response :frown:

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by king101
I'm really confused here, so my situation is:

I'm on a gap year having received my A-level results last year and never achieved the grades I needed in Biology. So I'm resitting a few units in Biology to bump up my grade and take on another new subject business studies (self taught). BUT for my UCAS application I sent it with my school saying to the universities I'm basically resitting biology to upgrade the result and taking on a new subject and this was all done from my school being my referee and they gave me also the predicted grades for those subjects sent to the universities.

BUT THE PROBLEM IS IT'S COMING TO EXAM TIME AND I TOLD THE EXAMINERS OFFICE IN MY SCHOOL TO ENTER ME FOR THE EXAMS AND SHE REFUSED!....SHE SAID SHES NOT OBLIGED to say. The school JUST won't let me sit any exams there!!!...

So what do I do???

If I go to a different center- I found two (one I can resit my Biology ISA unit 3) and the other where I can resit the biology written paper uni 1 and take on business studies written paper.

How the fk would UCAS receive my grades if there not from the same school I registered with UCAS from and from two different AQA registered centers???!!!!!

Similar thing happened to me. I missed too many philosophy lessons that they refused to enter me in the exam.

I paid to take the exam at a different centre. Don't panic, all you have to do is call up UCAS and say you need to amend your education. I just told them that I now do Philosophy A Level at the place I was taking the exam. You need to know the centre number to tell them. They amend it, and it's all fine :smile: My results came through UCAS perfectly.
Reply 6
Original post by i-love-coffee
Similar thing happened to me. I missed too many philosophy lessons that they refused to enter me in the exam.

I paid to take the exam at a different centre. Don't panic, all you have to do is call up UCAS and say you need to amend your education. I just told them that I now do Philosophy A Level at the place I was taking the exam. You need to know the centre number to tell them. They amend it, and it's all fine :smile: My results came through UCAS perfectly.

Thank you very much! But yeah mine was because I never attended SOME lessons because the teachers where awful. Like for my A-levels without them I got A* A and a C in Biology...Just that C in biology im resitting some modules and taking on business studies at one center and then the Biology ISA in a different centre both not at school. Just glad everything may be sorted! I did ring AQA and they said email them with the details of whats the matter..but then they also said email the university because I have already have an conditional offer from one :/..did you email your university or should I leave it? If you did what did you say...I really don't want the uni to reject my application because of the change in where I'm taking exams :/
Original post by king101
Thank you very much! But yeah mine was because I never attended SOME lessons because the teachers where awful. Like for my A-levels without them I got A* A and a C in Biology...Just that C in biology im resitting some modules and taking on business studies at one center and then the Biology ISA in a different centre both not at school. Just glad everything may be sorted! I did ring AQA and they said email them with the details of whats the matter..but then they also said email the university because I have already have an conditional offer from one :/..did you email your university or should I leave it? If you did what did you say...I really don't want the uni to reject my application because of the change in where I'm taking exams :/

I didn't tell my universities anything, as long as I'm taking the qualification they should accept. For all they know, I'm ill and am just taking it at somewhere nearer to where I live. If they reject you on the grounds that your taking it at a different institution, then that would suggest they base their offers on where you went to school; I assume they would definitely not want to be accused of this.

I didn't email mine. I simply booked my exams, called up UCAS, told them to change the name of the education on that A-Level and that was it. :smile: Everything went smoothly and I'm now at uni. It shouldn't make a difference that your offer is conditional.. unless they used the fact that you went to a certain school as being a factor in determining your offer.
Anyone in this situation - change of Exam Centre, change of Exam Boards, change of subjects etc etc - you just need to email UCAS and tell them.

This is important - without the right info then UCAS won't be able to match up your results to your application on Results Day and this could delay acceptance decisions by your chosen Uni.

qualsupport@ucas.ac.uk

Quick Reply

Latest