Are gamers morally immature?

Watch
shooks
Badges: 19
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 6 years ago
I'm not putting this in the gaming forum as I think it will be interesting to get the opinions of both gamers and non-gamers.

It's something of a familiar refrain - a study has been released that claims to show video games - and specifically violent video games - have a negative impact on the teenagers who play them.
[full BBC story here: Violent video games leave teens 'morally immature]

In this case, teenagers who regularly play violent video games display a stunted sense of morality, lacking empathy for others, according to the findings.

Researchers at Brock University, Canada, said that, of the 100 13- and 14-year-olds who participated in its study, those who played violent video games regularly were delayed in developing empathy for others and in developing a sense of right and wrong.

So what do you think? Does a daily dose of GTA V turn young teens into antisocial emotional cripples? Or are young gamers more than capable of switching off and getting on with life as normal?
Slyca
Badges: 9
Rep:
?
Report 6 years ago
i think the game should only be allowed for 15+ because it does have a massive influence on kids any younger than this.
Robbie242
Badges: 0
Rep:
?
Report 6 years ago
For people who can't distinguish between reality and the game world, video games do make them morally immature... but this is by far the minority. I've played many video games, addictive ones, violent ones and non-violent ones but I have a pretty good sense of morality. I do agree that gaming can make you less productive though and less sociable (was social recluse all the way throughout my time on WoW: Cataclysm) but this only if you let it dominate your life, which throughout years 10 and 11 I did but year 12 I cancelled my subscription and became generally a bit more sociable and did far better academically than before
Steezy
Badges: 15
Rep:
?
Report 6 years ago
As someone who grew up on GTA ... Honestly I do think my sense of morality is slightly stunted.

I honestly don't give a **** about most people and while that doesn't mean I go round being a **** everywhere, it does mean I've got a bit of a 'colourful' past.

I care more about animals than most people. GTA didn't have animals in it until recently... What does that tell you??
Viva Emptiness
Badges: 20
Rep:
?
Report 6 years ago
I think it's easy to just blame games on kids' problems today. IMO it's likely that skewed morality will occur in conjunction with poor parenting/a lack of interaction with others as a result of the gaming, rather than the games themselves.
Rob da Mop
Badges: 14
Rep:
?
Report 6 years ago
Well... the science seems to say that violent games at a young age cause slower learning of empathy... So I fail to see the point of asking your question!
Swanbow
Badges: 19
Rep:
?
Report 6 years ago
A ten second conversation with a teenager whilst playing them at Call of Duty would be compelling evidence in favour of that question :lol:
Jebedee
Badges: 17
Rep:
?
Report 6 years ago
We live in the most civilised age in human history. They never had video games for most of it yet were more violent.

Posted from TSR Mobile
jheywood
Badges: 2
Rep:
?
Report 6 years ago
I would say that i can have an effect but that is mainly due to the multilayer aspects of the game. In particularly if you have heard a conversation between a 12 year old and an 18 year old on Call of Duty you know what i am talking about. For those who don't the conversation can be classed as quite disturbing to some people. On the other hand I would just like to say I have been playing 18+ games since i was 10 and it hasn't had a negative impact on me.
Yakob
Badges: 10
Rep:
?
Report 6 years ago
I was more rotten on Runescape than GTA. learning SAT's in school while in my spare time I was scamming, baiting, gloating and blackmailing real people for Rune armour and dragon weapons.

I literally had a slave cutting magic trees for me.
Padwas
Rep:
?
Report 6 years ago
lol i have played

cod
dead space
gears
halo
resident evil
fallout

and I'm considered too soft lol
Theflyingbarney
Badges: 15
Rep:
?
Report 6 years ago
I don't deny that games can have an effect but I suspect that they'd only really cause a person to turn violent/antisocial where they're exceptionally impressionable or have some underlying tendency towards that kind of behaviour anyway. Games are getting a lot more mainstream and popular - GTA V has sold hundreds of millions of copies - but the amount of incidents that are actually attribuatable to games is still very, very low.
Robbie242
Rep:
?
Report 6 years ago
(Original post by Padwas)
lol i have played

cod
dead space
gears
halo
resident evil
fallout

and I'm considered too soft lol
c...c...cu...cunning
Kiss
Badges: 2
Rep:
?
Report 6 years ago
No
User995789
Badges: 13
Rep:
?
Report 6 years ago
Yes they are. Especially when you get overly hyped up kids who can't tell the difference between reality and games and try to copy it in real life.
carehow
Badges: 10
Rep:
?
Report 6 years ago
I think it depends what type of games (and variety?), how often, and how someone reflects on their gaming experience. Certainly not enough to label this of all 'gamers'?

I mean, I might be wrong, but I somehow doubt saving the world from repears, wondering around Falkreath and making a point not touch hoards of incoming hexagons has stunted my moral growth...
weststainesmasif
Rep:
?
Report 6 years ago
my mate played call of duty 12 hours str8

next thing he buttered my bread all wrong you get what im saying g
Padwas
Rep:
?
Report 6 years ago
(Original post by Robbie242)
c...c...cu...cunning
????????????
Rep:
?
Report 6 years ago
I have 13/14/15 year old siblings. Trust me they are self absorbed enough. Games didn't cause that.
Robbie242
Rep:
?
Report 6 years ago
(Original post by Padwas)
????????????
I was going to say
Spoiler:
Show

cute
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

Are you worried that a cap in student numbers would affect your place at uni?

Yes (138)
58.97%
No (52)
22.22%
Not sure (44)
18.8%

Watched Threads