The Student Room Group

I need some help :(

Hi guys, this is my first ever post, although I have been using the website for some years now.

I hope someone can help me, I'm in my final year of primary teaching degree and I have just found out I've been offered an interview for a teaching post. The only problem I have is they want me to teach a 10 minute lesson focusing on oracy for either maths or English, it will be to group of up to 15 year 3, 4 or 5 children of mixed ability.
I just haven't got a clue where to begin and I'm starting to stress so much since the interview is on the 10th of February :frown:

Has anyone got any suggestions to make it relevant but interactive, 10 minutes is nothing!!!!!!
Original post by Traineeteacher30
Hi guys, this is my first ever post, although I have been using the website for some years now.

I hope someone can help me, I'm in my final year of primary teaching degree and I have just found out I've been offered an interview for a teaching post. The only problem I have is they want me to teach a 10 minute lesson focusing on oracy for either maths or English, it will be to group of up to 15 year 3, 4 or 5 children of mixed ability.
I just haven't got a clue where to begin and I'm starting to stress so much since the interview is on the 10th of February :frown:

Has anyone got any suggestions to make it relevant but interactive, 10 minutes is nothing!!!!!!

i am not a teacher but i am a student and i love it when teachers teach with enthusiasm just teach how you feel is best, i had a temp teach 4 psych an she taught us a 30 min lesson, she gave us chocolate buttons and post it notes and made us brainstorm what we learnt and stuff. also oracy means to express yourself clearly so speak loud and clear but also kind of engaging.
Thanks, I'm just worried about making it engaging when the lesson is only ten minutes and it's little primary school children.

Thanks for replying, I appreciate it :smile:
Thanks, I'm just worried about making it engaging when the lesson is only ten minutes and it's little primary school children.

Thanks for replying, I appreciate it :smile:

since they are little kids make sure to put on a nice friendly smile, and put on a happy face lol, also draw mindmaps/pictures and make the kids do the same thing as you are engaging both visually aurally, and kinsthetically as everyone learns differently, ignore the person thats observing ure lesson and treat it as if you are a regular teacher there, its ok, i wish i can do more to help i am sorry, i'll start a thread for you if you want and i'll let you know when i get replies for it, i hope to become a teacher one day as well, so i'll best help u out as much as i can :smile:
Original post by TheGameOfScience
since they are little kids make sure to put on a nice friendly smile, and put on a happy face lol, also draw mindmaps/pictures and make the kids do the same thing as you are engaging both visually aurally, and kinsthetically as everyone learns differently, ignore the person thats observing ure lesson and treat it as if you are a regular teacher there, its ok, i wish i can do more to help i am sorry, i'll start a thread for you if you want and i'll let you know when i get replies for it, i hope to become a teacher one day as well, so i'll best help u out as much as i can :smile:

you're definitely right about using Vak learning styles. I can't tell you enough how much I appreciate your help :smile:
you're definitely right about using Vak learning styles. I can't tell you enough how much I appreciate your help :smile:

aha your very welcome:biggrin:, i honestly dont know why people havent replied to this thread to help you, but i'll defo get more people to help you bro/sis sorry it doesn't show what your gender is :tongue:
Original post by TheGameOfScience
aha your very welcome:biggrin:, i honestly dont know why people havent replied to this thread to help you, but i'll defo get more people to help you bro/sis sorry it doesn't show what your gender is :tongue:

Haha, not a bro, I'm a girl!! Well do let me know if you find any more information, I'm sure they'll be other people who could benefit just as much as I could :smile:
Haha, not a bro, I'm a girl!! Well do let me know if you find any more information, I'm sure they'll be other people who could benefit just as much as I could :smile:

i had a feeling you were a girl lol, i just didnt want to be rude by assuming it just in case it was rude aha, i will let you know! can i send u a friend request if thats ok, it will be easier for me to contact u by pm'ing you:biggrin:

look at this forum, the thread i posted to help you is there as well other teaching courses/problems :smile:

http://www.thestudentroom.co.uk/forumdisplay.php?f=97
Reply 9
10 minutes isn't long at all. They will be looking for how you relate to the kids, manage their behaviour and if you are asking challenging/levelled questions.
Its difficult to give advice on what to do as its such broad area but go to TES forums, loads of great ideas on there.
A good way to always start with kids you have never met before is to get them to tell you the rules of their classroom so that they know that you know the expectations.
Ive recently left teaching after 14 yrs. Good luck!
I've decided to do a discussion where children in groups will present an idea for a role play area in the class, they have to try and persuade other groups why their idea should be considered. What do people think?

Quick Reply

Latest