The Student Room Group

Scroll to see replies

Thats horrible.. and completely insensitive.
I don't think it's insensitive. It's a direct quote which illustrates the reality of pancreatic cancer diagnosis and prognosis in the UK.
Reply 3
Not only does this play down the seriousness of other forms of cancer, it's downright stupid. How about "I wish I didn't have cancer"...? I'd rather, by some miracle, be cancer-free than swap one form of cancer for another (even if it does have a higher survival rate). Idiots.
That's pathetic and very insensitive. Cancer is still cancer. A life is lost either way.
It is insensitive. If a person has an especially aggressive form of breast cancer, I'm sure they would be hurt which is understandable.
I think what they are trying to say is that they wish they had breast cancer because there is a greater chance of survival
Original post by mzoorw
Pancreatic Cancer Action released an advert with Pancreatic cancer patients stating they wished they had breast cancer. What does everyone think of this? Insensitive to those suffering with breast cancer, or valuable publicity for a less well known cancer?

Sources:
http://www.dailymail.co.uk/health/article-2552308/I-wish-I-breast-cancer-Pancreatic-cancer-charitys-campaign-slogan-causes-outrage-sufferers-disease.html

http://pancreaticcanceraction.org/community/blog/official-statement-advert/

A bit insensitive for sure, but then again pancreatic cancer is basically a death sentence. I imagine if I had it I myself would probably quite morbidly wish for a more survivable cancer.
Reply 8
Original post by Studentus-anonymous
A bit insensitive for sure, but then again pancreatic cancer is basically a death sentence. I imagine if I had it I myself would probably quite morbidly wish for a more survivable cancer.

I think that's the whole point of the advert, cancer affects 1 in 3 of us, if I had a choice I'd certainly prefer a more survivable cancer.

People are seeing it as belittling other cancers, which I don't think it is.
Reply 9
Everything is relative, and this quote is logical.
To be honest, it's coming from actual pancreatic cancer sufferers. Their prognoses aren't great - let 'em say whatever the hell they want. I think it illustrates perfectly the desperation some people feel in that situation, it's heart-breaking.
Reply 11
I think they should cut the amount of funding breast cancer gets on the basis of their whining until the survival rate drops to that of pancreatic cancer.

I also think that our early diagnosis system are pretty poor and if we can have routine breast cancer scans and ultrasounds for every pregnant person then we should also be able to detect these other diseases far sooner.
It shows they're desperate more than anything.
Brilliant campaign. My aunt has terminal lung cancer and never smoked. Her survival rates are 5%. Breast cancer has a survival rate of 95%

People saying it's insensitive need to look at it - if you had to get an illness, what would you rather have? One where there's a massive chance of you getting cured or one where you'll probably die within a year or two?

No one is saying breast cancer is a nice thing to have. What they are saying is COMPARED to their cancer, it would be better. Breast cancer gets a lot of funding, and there is a lot of awareness, whereas some other cancers don't have that
(edited 10 years ago)
I think I would rather have testicular cancer than pancreatic cancer. Ideally, I'd rather not have cancer at all of course.
I understand what they're trying to say but it doesn't sit well with me... I'm sure there's a better way to express the lower survival rates.
Makes sense. Pancreatic cancer has a tiny survival rate so for them to wish that they had a different form of cancer just shows how desperate they are. It's pretty sad :frown:
They're basically saying "I am going to die. If I had breast cancer, I would probably live". The average person with pancreatic cancer lives 4-6 months after diagnosis, similar to oesophageal cancer - two of the biggest killers - where the survival rate is <5%. On the other hand, a year after diagnosis, 95.8% of breast cancer sufferers are still alive. And most of them get cured - and many of those who die live for 5-10 years or more before they do. So yes, it sounds quite harsh but in terms of life expectancy its a fair point...
Original post by Ayesha1234
I understand what they're trying to say but it doesn't sit well with me... I'm sure there's a better way to express the lower survival rates.

Like what?
Original post by Ayesha1234

I think the point is that it's supposed to sound shocking so that people pay attention to the problem. Cancers aren't equal. That's not to belittle anyone with it, but on average (indeed probably over 90% of the time) you're far better off having breast cancer than pancreatic cancer.

Latest

Trending

Trending