The Student Room Group
University of Manchester
University of Manchester
Manchester

Any interview advice for mature student for Undergrad Pol + International Relations

I'm a mature student. I've got an interview for Undergraduate Politics and International Relations next month. Has anyone on here been interviewed yet and if so do you have any advice.
Reply 1
Hello!

I'm a mature student too. I had two interviews at Cambridge and subsequently received an offer to read HSPS (includes politics and IR) starting in October. Make sure you can answer the obvious “Why this course and why Manchester?” Other than that, my primary advice would be to not only read around your subject as much as possible, but also identify your specific interests within the field that way you have something subject-based to discuss. Also, if you identify specific interests, they’ll sense you're genuinely excited at the prospect of studying politics and IR. Two books I highly recommend for this are “Understanding International Relations” by brown and Ainsley, and “The Globalisation of World Politics” by Baylis, Smith and Owens. Try to read (and learn!) the former cover to cover before your interview.Both of these titles focus on IR but also discuss concepts relevant to domestic politics.
(edited 10 years ago)
University of Manchester
University of Manchester
Manchester
Reply 2
Thanks. Best of luck at Cambridge.
Original post by JohnnyBoy13
I'm a mature student. I've got an interview for Undergraduate Politics and International Relations next month. Has anyone on here been interviewed yet and if so do you have any advice.

Hi,

They don't normally interview for Politics & IR, so it's most likely to be because you're a mature student. Make sure that you've had a look at the course modules http://courses.humanities.manchester.ac.uk/undergraduate/modulelist.html?department=13 and can articulate something that you like about the course, and something that you like about the uni. They'll probably also want to know why you're returning to uni too. Make sure you read your PS and remember what you said.

Mr A Smith makes some good suggestions for extra reading, especially Baylis, Smith and Owens, as that's a core textbook.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending