Want to go on a clubbing holiday but need people to go with? / Want a bigger group?

Watch
This discussion is closed.
StacFace
Badges: 18
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 6 years ago
Basically I've spent the last 5 years or so wanting to go on a clubbing holiday but it's never happened for a mix of reasons from my friends (skint, parents said no, summer job/placement, going with partner, hearing bad things etc etc). Last year was the first time I seriously considered either going alone and making friends there or forming a group with others in the same position online, and what stopped me was concerns for my safety doing this.

So to try and eliminate this concern and make 2014 the year I finally get to go I'm looking for people in the same position as me (or people who have friends to go with but want to form a larger group) who would be willing to meet up and make friends before we book. These meet-ups would obviously be in a public place like a pub or bar and you could bring friends with you for safety reasons or just for social ones even if they wouldn't be coming on the holiday.

I live in Heaton in Newcastle so the most obvious place for these meet-ups from my perspective would be Newcastle city centre, but if there's people further out who are interested and would be willing to travel to Newcastle then I'm sure I could travel to wherever you live too.

I'm 21 (22 on Sunday) and would be most interested in going to Ayia Napa. Reply here if you're interested
Ash_TJ
Badges: 8
Rep:
?
Report 6 years ago
Would you really enjoy the holiday though if you're spending time with people you barely know? It's being with your friends having a laugh that makes the holiday, not just the fact that 'you're there'. But if your main intention is to just 'be there', maybe go over on a working holiday? Will mean you'll make friends over there pretty instantly. There's a lot of companies that cater for individuals who do that, they put you up in accomodation with other people in the same postition as you, and help you find a job etc. I've made rash decisions on going on lads holidays with friendship groups I don't really spend THAT much time with, but did so just cause i fancied a lads/clubbing holiday like you, and I wouldn't do it again. Didn't enjoy it anywhere near as much as I thought I would, but obviously it depends on your personality and the people you'd be going with.
StacFace
Rep:
?
I can see your point but I'm hoping the meet-ups beforehand would make us get to know each other so it can be friends having a laugh. Of course that's not guaranteed but I'm getting to the point now where I really feel like I'm missing out, that I'm well into my 20s having missed an important teenage milestone and that if I don't go soon then I'll turn out like my uncle who was the only one not to in his teens/early 20s in his generation of the family and so ended up trying to make up for it in his 30s losing his wife and kid in the process. (Ok so that's overdramatic but I do really want to go to a few of these places before I'm too old, meaning I ideally need to start this year). At least if it isn't great I've tried.

I've seen the working holiday idea a few times when I've researched going alone but it's really not what I'm looking for. I just want to be able to go out for a week or two, get drunk most nights and spend most days sunbathing by the pool or on the beach recovering without having to worry about working hungover or sleeping through my alarms because I stayed up so late (which, being an extremely heavy sleeper, I'm terrible for as it is). I also wouldn't be able to take the whole summer off as I have a part-time job which is already giving me a few weeks off to go home for the summer in addition to hopefully getting a vacation scheme placement.
AdampskiB
Badges: 2
Rep:
?
Report 6 years ago
How come none of your friends want to go with you?
StacFace
Rep:
?
Mix of reasons - can't afford it, summer job/placement, going somewhere else with their partner instead, one of my uni friends has a friend from home who was raped on one and seeing her afterwards has put her off, another is also put off after hearing that and lots of other stories from various sources about girls being groped in clubs etc.

Then there's some that just aren't into the idea of going on a party holiday, whether it's because they're not that into clubbing and/or heavy drinking or they are but don't see the point in paying £100s just to go do it in a warmer country.
InvasionJosh
Badges: 0
Rep:
?
Report 6 years ago
We have a large number of people come on our trips alone and they just interact with the people in the group. If you do go on your own, I would say that you would be in good company with others in the same boat.

However, like has been said, going on holiday with your friends is much more fun as you gain so much dirt on one another to be able to mock each other long in to the future. I am sure if you find the right deal and destinations a couple of your friends will warm to the idea.

Question for you though, why Napa?
StacFace
Rep:
?
Yeah I do keep looking for good deals every year and make sure I keep bringing the topic up or confirm my interest if someone else does. There have been a few times we've got as far as looking having decided we definitely do want to but we've never reached the booking stage as people drop-out because it's too expensive. In all honesty being able to go with existing friends is relying on us winning a holiday/cash to pay for one or somehow managing to find one that works out £300 each for the week including sufficient spending money.

As for why Napa it's a bit of a process of elimination thing really. The 8 party resorts are Ibiza, Ayia Napa, Magaluf, Laganas in Zante, Malia, Kavos, Faliraki and Sunny Beach. Ibiza is really expensive, Kavos doesn't look that great, Faliraki seems to be dying out and Sunny Beach isn't quite eatablished yet. From the 4 remaining my parents aren't keen on 3 because they say Greeks are more agressive towards Brits abroad than other nationalities and they've heard a lot about Magaluf's nickname, whereas they think Cyprus is nice. Although this wouldn't stop me going to these 3, if I'd be just as happy with going to Napa first then I may aswell and let them feel more at ease about my first time abroad without them or a teacher with me.
SMEGGGY
Badges: 21
Rep:
?
Report 6 years ago
(Original post by StacFace)
Basically I've spent the last 5 years or so wanting to go on a clubbing holiday but it's never happened for a mix of reasons from my friends (skint, parents said no, summer job/placement, going with partner, hearing bad things etc etc). Last year was the first time I seriously considered either going alone and making friends there or forming a group with others in the same position online, and what stopped me was concerns for my safety doing this.

So to try and eliminate this concern and make 2014 the year I finally get to go I'm looking for people in the same position as me (or people who have friends to go with but want to form a larger group) who would be willing to meet up and make friends before we book. These meet-ups would obviously be in a public place like a pub or bar and you could bring friends with you for safety reasons or just for social ones even if they wouldn't be coming on the holiday.

I live in Heaton in Newcastle so the most obvious place for these meet-ups from my perspective would be Newcastle city centre, but if there's people further out who are interested and would be willing to travel to Newcastle then I'm sure I could travel to wherever you live too.

I'm 21 (22 on Sunday) and would be most interested in going to Ayia Napa. Reply here if you're interested
Join some sites like Couch Surfing or Meetup. Co.uk they have people in similar interests etc plus it's safe.

Posted from TSR Mobile
AdampskiB
Rep:
?
Report 6 years ago
Yeah I do keep looking for good deals every year and make sure I keep bringing the topic up or confirm my interest if someone else does. There have been a few times we've got as far as looking having decided we definitely do want to but we've never reached the booking stage as people drop-out because it's too expensive. In all honesty being able to go with existing friends is relying on us winning a holiday/cash to pay for one or somehow managing to find one that works out £300 each for the week including sufficient spending money.

As for why Napa it's a bit of a process of elimination thing really. The 8 party resorts are Ibiza, Ayia Napa, Magaluf, Laganas in Zante, Malia, Kavos, Faliraki and Sunny Beach. Ibiza is really expensive, Kavos doesn't look that great, Faliraki seems to be dying out and Sunny Beach isn't quite eatablished yet. From the 4 remaining my parents aren't keen on 3 because they say Greeks are more agressive towards Brits abroad than other nationalities and they've heard a lot about Magaluf's nickname, whereas they think Cyprus is nice. Although this wouldn't stop me going to these 3, if I'd be just as happy with going to Napa first then I may aswell and let them feel more at ease about my first time abroad without them or a teacher with me.
Christ, you've really looked into this haven't you! Personally, I've never left the country and I'm itching to do something too. Though I haven't gone to the extent you have for getting it done and I don't know how I would feel going without any of my mates!
The-Dream
Badges: 15
Rep:
?
Report 6 years ago
Aiya Napa looks the best out of all of them but also the most expensive.
Markg125
Badges: 13
Rep:
?
Report 6 years ago
Um interesting, I'm planning on going travelling a lot by myself this year and am actually going to Germany in 2 weeks by myself. Would you maybe reconsider a cheaper location as all you want to do it club/drink, and there are some really good european countries for that like Amsterdam and Barcelona. Also another problem is that I am all the way down here in Surrey, but I suppose I could travel up to Newcastle. Let me know what you think
JW__91
Rep:
?
Report 6 years ago
Hi, I went to Magaluf last year alone because of the same kinda reasons in August and loved it. Met a great bunch of people on the first night and had a great laugh but to go alone or with people you know a little about can be risky. I'm not saying for one minute to not do it but just saying to really think about where you want to go and take it from there.

I'm looking to go somewhere again this year, I'm 22 so nows the time to go lol
BabyyRushh
Rep:
?
Report 6 years ago
Im going zante, in aug, if you wana come with me!? let me know, im in the same situation.
BabyyRushh
Rep:
?
Report 6 years ago
Liturally going to laganas, august. me n my mate, if you wana come your more then welcome, i live in london so we can plan a day to meet. nd take it from there. il fill you in on everything. hotel etc. im 21 too
alejandro_o
Badges: 10
Rep:
?
Report 6 years ago
Going to a place because you feel like everyone else is doing it isn't the best reason to go, to be honest. There are so many things to do and places to go and having a "checklist" of things that you need to have done by a certain age isn't always the best way to go about things. I know a lot of people who've gone on these holidays (with people they are actually really good friends with), and said they were kind of awful and expensive. By all means go if you think you'll have a good time, but personally I wouldn't stress about ticking off everything that everyone else is doing, and just enjoy the things that you do get to do with your life. If it makes you feel any better, it's a very British thing to feel like these trips are necessary. They'e not a big deal in other countries.
thecrazy
Rep:
?
Report 6 years ago
I disagree with alejandro, i think and i know for personal experience it's better to go with people you barely know, but you know they have your same mentality, they're looking for the same things, than going with the friends you've grown up with and you know they want a different type of holiday. This summer i want to go to malta probably in august and i'd say to zante in july, if you wanna join any of these trips i'll be glad to go with you. I am 24, i am actually italian, but i've been living in london for 2 years now, i'll probably go with a friend of mine, he's italian too and we (particularly me) love girls, if you are into clubbing, drinking and above all you like pussy, you're gonna have a great time with us. Let me know.
thecrazy
Rep:
?
Report 6 years ago
noooooooooo i realized now by chance that you are a girl, so i guess you don't like girls.
lucine.B
Badges: 11
Rep:
?
Report 6 years ago

Heya, sounds like a great plan! I've only been trying to plan for 2 years or so. I see. I myself I'm trying to round up some friends to go this summer. We're thinking of going on this holiday called Abandon magaluf: http://www.togetherholidays.net/10/festival/capitalvip/10613 Aiya Napa looks great, though...are you sure you'd want to go with people you barely know??? I think it sounds great but you never know who you might find on the internet these days! I'd be rather interested though...do you have any more details??? You could try being a holiday rep there instead??? That's kind of what I was thinking since I new my friends would be more likely to want to come if there was the possibility of earning money haha! but yeah I get you I was thinking to go alone but not sure its an entirely good idea... Wouldn't mind meet ups but I'm from London... so I dunno, don't think I'd mind travelling too much. (I'm soon to be 18 btw- last yr of sixth form )
LC_x
Rep:
?
Report 6 years ago
Go to ibiza on your own!
It's not expensive in San Antonio but to go to proper clubs that's expensive. The other destinations aren't proper clubs there the same as you would get back home on a Saturday night where as BCM in magaluf and the clubs in ibiza have big name Djs playing.
Unless you are just interested in the cheap boozy holiday then go to any of the other places lol
Ibiza can be as cheap or as expensive as you want it to be. The west end strip in San Antonio has the usual 2 drinks, shots and a cocktail for £5 euros etc. youl make plenty of friends going alone
liveforever1990
Badges: 1
Rep:
?
Report 6 years ago
I can see your point but I'm hoping the meet-ups beforehand would make us get to know each other so it can be friends having a laugh. Of course that's not guaranteed but I'm getting to the point now where I really feel like I'm missing out, that I'm well into my 20s having missed an important teenage milestone and that if I don't go soon then I'll turn out like my uncle who was the only one not to in his teens/early 20s in his generation of the family and so ended up trying to make up for it in his 30s losing his wife and kid in the process. (Ok so that's overdramatic but I do really want to go to a few of these places before I'm too old, meaning I ideally need to start this year). At least if it isn't great I've tried.

I've seen the working holiday idea a few times when I've researched going alone but it's really not what I'm looking for. I just want to be able to go out for a week or two, get drunk most nights and spend most days sunbathing by the pool or on the beach recovering without having to worry about working hungover or sleeping through my alarms because I stayed up so late (which, being an extremely heavy sleeper, I'm terrible for as it is). I also wouldn't be able to take the whole summer off as I have a part-time job which is already giving me a few weeks off to go home for the summer in addition to hopefully getting a vacation scheme placement.

I wouldn't go with people you barley know as being trapped on holiday with people you don't like can be a nightmare at times, especially a clubbing holiday where there is a diverse mixture of reasons of going from lads on the pull, to just relaxation.

But I get that you want to go on a fun holiday, what I think you should do is get one of your close friends to go with you, you don't need a big group you can make friends when you are out there. But personally I would rather go with one close friend than a load of strangers any day. But you seem to have looked into it a lot. I'm sure you always think things through. Always easy to make friends on holiday but always easier when you are with a mate.
X
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

Do you have the space and resources you need to succeed in home learning?

Yes I have everything I need (219)
55.87%
I don't have everything I need (173)
44.13%

Watched Threads