The Student Room Group

Qualifications GCSE

Are there more qualifications I can do like I am planning to do the fsmq in additional maths but are there any other qualifications that I could do in year 10/11 something science based preferably or something to look good on applications for college and uni
Original post by Humzaawan123
Are there more qualifications I can do like I am planning to do the fsmq in additional maths but are there any other qualifications that I could do in year 10/11 something science based preferably or something to look good on applications for college and uni

Perhaps try and do an EPQ early? But you might as well start AS level study if you want to further yourself, so you can do better when the time comes.

Obviously the FSMQ is good for that, as it dips into lots of AS material.

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 2
Thanks
(edited 10 years ago)
Reply 3
Original post by addylad
Perhaps try and do an EPQ early? But you might as well start AS level study if you want to further yourself, so you can do better when the time comes.

Obviously the FSMQ is good for that, as it dips into lots of AS material.

Posted from TSR Mobile

What's an EPQ ? And yh i guess your right I should start as level now I heard it's pretty hard

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 4
yeah doing an EPQ is pretty good, its an extended project qualification. Google it for details :smile:
My school kinda forces us to all take it, getting an A* in the EPQ is 70 UCAS points and some uni's count it as an extra 'subject' (sort of like counting critical thinking)
Original post by Humzaawan123

Not really. Unless you're incredibly bright, there's no qualification you can take before A level that will make a real difference to your uni application. Things like the FSMQ are good for sixth form applications, but are completely invalidated once you have your AS Maths grade. I wouldn't recommend you take an EPQ before Year 12/13 because firstly, you'll have a better indication of what you're interested in then and secondly, you'll do a much better job in the sixth form.
Dude, what's the rush? How many GCSE are you taking? Personally, i think you should focus on reaching your full potential at GCSE because depending on the subject it can be a bit time consuming, not necessarily hard but long, tedious. Worry about extra stuff in sixth form, as far as i know, that's when it counts the most

Quick Reply

Latest