TLK
Badges: 8
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 6 years ago
Hi I've recently just started bulking. I weigh 10 stones, 2 pounds and hoping to hit 12 stones while being lean.
My issue is that I already have big belly (fat) and I know that it will get bigger if i were to bulk. Should I stop bulking and start cutting instead or just carry on bulking and then start cutting once I get more muscle mass?
My other question is that does it matter what I eat as long as I get my macros and calories while bulking or should I be eating healthy meals with the same macros and calories.

Thanks.
TLK
Rep:
?
Bump.

Posted from TSR Mobile
MindTheGaps
Badges: 17
Report 6 years ago
You're pretty light, and obviously you are aware of this fact, so cutting isn't a good idea. But, you probably don't want to do a traditional bulk either. If you have a bit of a belly, bulking will make it worse.

People get too hung up on the whole bulking/cutting cycle. Yea it works for experienced bodybuilders, but for beginners it's not usually really necessary. A better plan would just be to go to the gym, work hard (using a full body, strength based programme) and eat good, healthy* food. Whatever you feel you need to recover. Aim to gain weight slowly, but to be honest I wouldn't get hung up on the scale weight too much. If you lose weight some weeks, then oh well, it's probably just fat. As a beginner, you will probably notice that you can gain muscle whilst even losing some fat at the same time, if you do it at a sensible pace. Maybe you won't gain as quickly on a full-out, eat-everything-in-sight bulk, and maybe you won't lose fat as quickly as a cut. But to be honest, you'll also avoid gaining fat on the bulk and losing muscle on the cut. You'll end up in at least the same place, but without oscillating between looking like a blob and a stick, and will feel much better for it.

I'd also recommend looking up leangains and similar IF protocols, they helped me lose fat whilst staying at roughly the same weight, whilst getting stronger.

*Yes it damn well matter what you eat. You need to hit your macros, but it is much, much better that you hit it with healthy food. It is obvious that if you eat healthier food you will be healthier and look healthier. You need them vitamins to gain muscle and lose fat! That means lots of meat, fish, eggs and veggies! And sugar/the wrong sorts of fat/processed foods will actively inhibit all your goals.
JollyJelly
Badges: 13
Rep:
?
Report 6 years ago
If you eat healthier your body will be healthier. But it won't make a difference to your gut. If you're eating excess calories, you're eating excess calories and will put on weight.

EDIT: You're quite light, so I'm guessing your belly is just a bit of extra tub. So I'd bulk with a few hundred calories extra and gym hard. Then cut later when you've got some muscle (yes you will get a bit tubbier; that's the price of muscle gain)
TLK
Rep:
?
(Original post by Rinsed)
You're pretty light, and obviously you are aware of this fact, so cutting isn't a good idea. But, you probably don't want to do a traditional bulk either. If you have a bit of a belly, bulking will make it worse.

People get too hung up on the whole bulking/cutting cycle. Yea it works for experienced bodybuilders, but for beginners it's not usually really necessary. A better plan would just be to go to the gym, work hard (using a full body, strength based programme) and eat good, healthy* food. Whatever you feel you need to recover. Aim to gain weight slowly, but to be honest I wouldn't get hung up on the scale weight too much. If you lose weight some weeks, then oh well, it's probably just fat. As a beginner, you will probably notice that you can gain muscle whilst even losing some fat at the same time, if you do it at a sensible pace. Maybe you won't gain as quickly on a full-out, eat-everything-in-sight bulk, and maybe you won't lose fat as quickly as a cut. But to be honest, you'll also avoid gaining fat on the bulk and losing muscle on the cut. You'll end up in at least the same place, but without oscillating between looking like a blob and a stick, and will feel much better for it.

I'd also recommend looking up leangains and similar IF protocols, they helped me lose fat whilst staying at roughly the same weight, whilst getting stronger.

*Yes it damn well matter what you eat. You need to hit your macros, but it is much, much better that you hit it with healthy food. It is obvious that if you eat healthier food you will be healthier and look healthier. You need them vitamins to gain muscle and lose fat! That means lots of meat, fish, eggs and veggies! And sugar/the wrong sorts of fat/processed foods will actively inhibit all your goals.
Thanks for the reply. Could you possible link me to some good IF protocols, there are tons online and I'm not sure which to follow? Also since I'm a vegetarian I get all my protein from Quorn/Shakes and a lot off egg (like 7 eggs for breakfast not everyday though), but I've been told they are high in cholesterol and I shouldn't each a lot of them.

Cheers.
DorianGrayism
Badges: 19
Rep:
?
Report 6 years ago
(Original post by TLK)
Thanks for the reply. Could you possible link me to some good IF protocols, there are tons online and I'm not sure which to follow? Also since I'm a vegetarian I get all my protein from Quorn/Shakes and a lot off egg (like 7 eggs for breakfast not everyday though), but I've been told they are high in cholesterol and I shouldn't each a lot of them.

Cheers.
Your cholesterol levels are not going to be significantly changed through diet
MindTheGaps
Badges: 17
Report 6 years ago
(Original post by TLK)

Cheers.
Leangains is pretty popular amongst fitness types.

And don't worry about dietary cholesterol. The idea that it has an effect on blood cholesterol, though widespread and persistent, levels has long been proven false. It's one of those things where it sounds sensible to a layman, but that isn't how the body actually works. Many, very healthy, people eat loads of eggs every day.
andrewruss
Badges: 3
Rep:
?
Report 6 years ago
You can go anywhere with diet because diets work differently with each person. There are many out there, some not even heard of and some used widely across the bodybuilding industry such as IIFYM and IF; (If It Fits Your Macros & Intermittent Fasting - alongside many other diets such as Paleo and what not).

The idea of eating healthily or eating clean foods is good and yes you will get required vitamins, macros and what not but it is bloody expensive, right? Eating non-clean foods means you have to be even more cautious which is at times stressful which is where MyFitnessPal steps in to track your macro intake. The term 'moderation in all things' should be taken note of because too much of ANYTHING in life can IS bad!
Essentially, eating clean is more expensive but easier to track though it is better to have a varied diet to cover the array of vitamins and oils your body needs which can easily be obtained through vegetables and fish as opposed to your fish-and-chips!
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

Current uni students - are you thinking of dropping out of university?

Yes, I'm seriously considering dropping out (137)
14.41%
I'm not sure (42)
4.42%
No, I'm going to stick it out for now (286)
30.07%
I have already dropped out (24)
2.52%
I'm not a current university student (462)
48.58%

Watched Threads