The Student Room Group

Scroll to see replies

Original post by GabbyAdams
I interviewed at Plymouth and it was a really nice informal interview - we were given scenarios etc so was really nice, you just need knowledge on the role of a therapist and dental hygienist etc. - I've heard Cardiff interviews are not so nice xx

Ohh that doesn't sound too bad, what kind of scenarios? Related to incidents that can happen in a practice? X
So for instance - 'a man collapses in the waiting room whilst you are in the middle of treatment with a patient. The receptionist comes into your room and asks for some assistance. Do you:
A - go out and help and leave your patient in the dental chair
B - tell the receptionist to call 999 and stay with your patient
C - tell the receptionist you'll finish your treatment then help afterwards'

those sorts of things were what I got - then we had to say why we chose what we did and justify our reasonings. x
Cool thanks I would say it depends on what treatment u were doing ie just a check up is go help if I was in middle of extraction is say ring 999 for assistance....what did u say lol xx

Also did u get any questions about the gdc or any articles u had read? Xx
So for instance - 'a man collapses in the waiting room whilst you are in the middle of treatment with a patient. The receptionist comes into your room and asks for some assistance. Do you:

those sorts of things were what I got - then we had to say why we chose what we did and justify our reasonings. x

Yhh I'm gonna get stuck for those things I think, how did you prepare for those?

Oh also did they ask you anything about the stuff you put in your personal statement?
I went for A ...
as a health professional every patient that walks through that door is under your professional responsibility, and that means you have a duty of care to all patients and therefore have a duty to provide health care to all at all times. I said provided my patient was left in a safe environment supervised by a nurse, I would go out and help the receptionist to provide basic life support.

I didn't prepare for this as I didn't know it was going to be that way. It's more common sense on the way you'd deal with situations which therefore helps guide them into acknowledging what kind of health care professional you will be/currently are. They didn't ask me anything on my personal statement and likewise didn't ask about any articles etc. I feel their judgment was on the type you are and the type of health care professional you will become x
I went for A ...
as a health professional every patient that walks through that door is under your professional responsibility, and that means you have a duty of care to all patients and therefore have a duty to provide health care to all at all times. I said provided my patient was left in a safe environment supervised by a nurse, I would go out and help the receptionist to provide basic life support.

I didn't prepare for this as I didn't know it was going to be that way. It's more common sense on the way you'd deal with situations which therefore helps guide them into acknowledging what kind of health care professional you will be/currently are. They didn't ask me anything on my personal statement and likewise didn't ask about any articles etc. I feel their judgment was on the type you are and the type of health care professional you will become x

Brilliant thanks Gabby :smile: x
Reply 27
Just reading through this thread, I'm currently studying DHDT at Liverpool so if anyone has any questions or needs any advice, let me know. :smile:
Reply 28
Hi, I have sent off my application for Liverpool. I was wondering what was your interview like?

Thanks
:smile:
Hi has anyone applied for DHDT at teeside and had an offer yet?

Posted from TSR Mobile
hi there! i am a mum of a 3 year old, i am a qualified dental nurse of 15 years, worked in NHS,private and now been in an oral surgery and maxillo facial unit in hospital for 10 years. i applied to liverpool last year but didnt have my GCSE maths certificate for when i resat and got a C so didnt get through, i applied for manchester and my personal statement was'nt good enough, i have my sedation, just sat my radiography and have oral health education, which we run nurse led clinics every week. i have now applied to liverpool again and recieved a letter saying applications should be finished processing beginning of april, they did however give me the interview dates whilst stating this did not mean i am short listed, however my consultant seems to think its a good sign!!!! wish me luck i am desperate!:s-smilie::smile:
Original post by WasK
Just reading through this thread, I'm currently studying DHDT at Liverpool so if anyone has any questions or needs any advice, let me know. :smile:

Hi there ! i have recieved an email to give me the interview dates, however they say i am not yet short listed. Really need to know what type of questions the interview has. i havent had an interview for 10 years so very nervous, also not worked in practice for 10 years. Please help!!!!:confused:
Any news on offers from teeside yet? It's driving my insane waiting!!

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 33
Hello! Does anyone have an interview at QMUL on the 13th April? X
Original post by Rebecca1987
Any news on offers from teeside yet? It's driving my insane waiting!!

Posted from TSR Mobile

A girl I had an interview with has had a rejection, that's all I know. Good Luck!
Just had an offer from teeside words can't describe how happy I am!! Good luck to anyone else still waiting xx

Posted from TSR Mobile
Hi everyone!

I'm new to this thread and just having a read through ...

I'm currently 22 and have been dental nursing since 2010, and am about to sit second year A Level exams in biology and chemistry - predicted A and C. I also got 9 A/A* grades at GCSE in 2009.

I have applied to UCLH Eastman for DHT for this September, but it wasn't via UCAS and I haven't heard anything yet - has anyone heard from them? I thought my application was really strong but looking through other threads there seem to be a lot of nurses with loads more experience than me, post qualifications (but not A Levels) who have been rejected from various universities year after year!

I have had an interview for actual dentistry at Sheffield and am awaiting offer or rejection - some people have had offers and rejections but I've got nothing yet!

Considering putting in an application for DHT at Manchester School for DCPs.

I unfortunately wasn't able to apply for any of the schools that take applications via UCAS as my personal statement was very dentistry specific for my application to Sheffield!

Congratulations to those who've had interviews/offers already!
Reply 37
I have an interview there on 23rd April!! X
Original post by Melisc86
I have an interview there on 23rd April!! X

Congratulations! Which uni sorry - UCLH, Manchester or Sheffield?

The UCLH closing date wasn't until last week so I wasn't expecting to hear for a while .. if that's where your interview is may I ask when they contacted you?
Reply 39
At qmul!! I applied in November and it's taken ages!!! Missed the deadline for uclh for the combined but applied today for the hygiene diploma so fingers crossed!

Latest