torturedfungus
Badges: 0
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 6 years ago
Hello, just wondering; does the profit a company/firm (e.g. BlackBerry) makes equate to the normal profits and supernormal profits added together?
Thanks in advance!
TSR Learn Together
Badges: 9
Rep:
?
Report 6 years ago
Hi there,

While you're waiting for an answer, did you know we have 300,000 study resources that could answer your question in TSR's Learn together section?

We have everything from Teacher Marked Essays to Mindmaps and Quizzes to help you with your work. Take a look around.

If you're stuck on how to get started, try creating some resources. It's free to do and can help breakdown tough topics into manageable chunks. Get creating now.

Thanks!

Not sure what all of this is about? Head here to find out more.
shona_x.
Rep:
?
Report 6 years ago
Normal profits where AC = AR. Anything above this earned is supernormal profits. A firm earning supernormal profits therefore should be earning normal profits as well.
Zürich
Badges: 20
Rep:
?
Report 6 years ago
(Original post by torturedfungus)
Hello, just wondering; does the profit a company/firm (e.g. BlackBerry) makes equate to the normal profits and supernormal profits added together?
Thanks in advance!
The profit any firm makes is the sum of these two.
RowanL
Badges: 8
Rep:
?
Report 6 years ago
If blackberry has some monopoly power then their profit will be the sum of the normal and supernormal profits. However, you might argue that the mobile phone market is very competitive and that Blackberry only has a relatively small market share. Therefore, Blackberry would only be making normal profits as in a competitive market supernormal profits are equal to zero.
js93
Badges: 1
Rep:
?
Report 6 years ago
I would be interested to hear you try to make the case that the mobile phone market is a competitive one.
RowanL
Rep:
?
Report 6 years ago
(Original post by js93)
I would be interested to hear you try to make the case that the mobile phone market is a competitive one.
Firstly, for the purposes of economics A level it is more important to show that you understand the concepts and the easiest way to do that is to consider what would happen under different circumstances.

Secondly, I'm not saying it is perfectly competitive but given no firm has higher more than 25% of the market, it is unlikely that any one has significant monopoly powers. When I say the mobile phone market it is important to note that I mean for handsets, which is completely separate from their contracts.

http://cdn.macrumors.com/article-new...ner-sales1.png
js93
Badges: 1
Rep:
?
Report 6 years ago
I disagree with you less now I know you meant the market for handsets only. None the less, I would personally argue that 3 companies holding 50% of a market with no other big players is extremely far off a competitive market. We will agree to disagree. I take your point about A level just being an understanding of the concepts.
RowanL
Rep:
?
Report 6 years ago
Take your point, it is defintely questionable. I would write a different answer if I were working on it during my degree tbh and say that taking market share like that is too simplistic for the market because the market is split into low/medium/high level phones and in different countries certain firms do have monopoly powers. I just meant for the purposes of this question it shows the evaluative marks that you need for level 4/5.
Oce-SH
Rep:
?
Report 6 years ago
(Original post by js93)
I disagree with you less now I know you meant the market for handsets only. None the less, I would personally argue that 3 companies holding 50% of a market with no other big players is extremely far off a competitive market. We will agree to disagree. I take your point about A level just being an understanding of the concepts.
Exactly its more like an oligopoly or monopolistic competition.
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

Current uni students - are you thinking of dropping out of university?

Yes, I'm seriously considering dropping out (113)
13.88%
I'm not sure (36)
4.42%
No, I'm going to stick it out for now (247)
30.34%
I have already dropped out (20)
2.46%
I'm not a current university student (398)
48.89%

Watched Threads