The Student Room Group

Access to Science at Newcastle College

This is my first post on TSR so please forgive me if this is the wrong sub-forum.

I have enrolled at Newcastle College to start September 2014 on an access to science course.
http://www.ncl-coll.ac.uk/courses/1201/access-to-higher-education-diploma-science

I attended an open day on Wednesday and was told interviews would be held in April where I would also be tested. I'm assuming the tests will be relatively simple to gauge entrants standard of English and maths. Most likely to confirm they meet a required standard. I could be wrong though?

If I can give you a bit of background and scope, I am 23 and currently serving in the RAF. I have applied for premature voluntary release and with leave my exit date is 11th April. Previous to my 5 year employment in the air force I worked for 2 years doing mostly labouring, so I left school at the earliest opportunity (2007), having underachieved massively with 5 GCSE's all at C. Maths/English Lit and Lang/Science Double Award. I was predicted A's.

I'm including this information to at least highlight how long I've been out of education and I will admit my last 2 years at secondary school were wasted.

The access course will hopefully lead onto studying pharmacology at university. So I'm looking to put myself in the best position possible for my return to education.

What are the essentials to study for this entrance assessment?

Do my GCSE's count for anything? Also I've completed an NVQ3 in mechanical engineering which included maths and keys skills, will this work in my favour?

Are there any revision aids worth buying now? like AQA AS/A2 level maths/sciences student books. Or should I concentrate on the exam and interview first and foremost?

I feel like the RAF has given me the confidence to interview well but what kind of questions can I expect?

I welcome any advice, thanks.
Hi there,

While you're waiting for an answer, did you know we have 300,000 study resources that could answer your question in TSR's Learn together section?

We have everything from Teacher Marked Essays to Mindmaps and Quizzes to help you with your work. Take a look around.

If you're stuck on how to get started, try creating some resources. It's free to do and can help breakdown tough topics into manageable chunks. Get creating now.

Thanks!

Not sure what all of this is about? Head here to find out more.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending