The Student Room Group

null sequences

Hi

I've been looking at the definition of a null sequence and don't quite understand it.

My understanding of it leads to the notion that every sequence is a null sequence which is obviously false.

This is my reasoning... Please help me and help me correct my mistakes. DSC_0039.jpgDSC_0039.jpg

I don't quite understand the mathematical statement with the three quantifiers is the issue I think
Original post by Jam'

A null sequence is one that converges to zero.

In terms of the definition. Choose any distance from zero (that's our epsilon), then there is a point in the sequence, N, beyond which (n>N) all values, f(n), in the sequence lie within epsilon of zero. |f(n)| < epsilon.
Reply 2
Original post by Jam'
I don't quite understand the mathematical statement with the three quantifiers is the issue I think
Yes, this is the problem.

The definition says:

...nN,(nN    f(n)<ϵ)... \forall n \in \mathbb{N}, (n \ge N \implies |f(n)| < \epsilon ).

Rewriting this to be a bit wordier, we get: "for all natural numbers n, the statement "nNn \ge N" implies |f(n)| < epsilon.

Your interpretation is more like: "the statement "for all natural numbers n, nNn \ge N" implies |f(n)| < epsilon". (If you wrote this with quantifies it wouldn't look like the definition, it would be more like: ...(nN,nN)    f(n)<ϵ)... (\forall n \in \mathbb{N}, \,n \ge N) \implies |f(n)| < \epsilon )).

As far as understanding the definitions goes, it's probably best not to think too much in terms of the quantifier symbols - they save writing, but they don't help clarity.

Instead:

f(n) is null if given ϵ>0\epsilon > 0 we can find N such that whenever n is an integer > N, we have f(n)<ϵ|f(n)| < \epsilon.
Reply 3
Original post by DFranklin
Yes, this is the problem.

The definition says:

...nN,(nN    f(n)<ϵ)... \forall n \in \mathbb{N}, (n \ge N \implies |f(n)| < \epsilon ).

Rewriting this to be a bit wordier, we get: "for all natural numbers n, the statement "nNn \ge N" implies |f(n)| < epsilon.

Your interpretation is more like: "the statement "for all natural numbers n, nNn \ge N" implies |f(n)| < epsilon". (If you wrote this with quantifies it wouldn't look like the definition, it would be more like: ...(nN,nN)    f(n)<ϵ)... (\forall n \in \mathbb{N}, \,n \ge N) \implies |f(n)| < \epsilon )).

As far as understanding the definitions goes, it's probably best not to think too much in terms of the quantifier symbols - they save writing, but they don't help clarity.

Instead:

f(n) is null if given ϵ>0\epsilon > 0 we can find N such that whenever n is an integer > N, we have f(n)<ϵ|f(n)| < \epsilon.

Ohhhh thanks I think I sort of get this. Is it saying therefore that as epsilon tends to 0, f(n) n-> infinity?

And because |f(n)| < Epsilon => lim n-> infinity f(n) = 0? Hence why the sequence converges?
(edited 10 years ago)
Reply 4
Original post by ghostwalker
A null sequence is one that converges to zero.

In terms of the definition. Choose any distance from zero (that's our epsilon), then there is a point in the sequence, N, beyond which (n>N) all values, f(n), in the sequence lie within epsilon of zero. |f(n)| < epsilon.

Thanks the picture is much clearer thanks to you and Dfranklin :smile:

Quick Reply

Latest