The Student Room Group

Ignoring a person?

I would just like some advice about what to do when a person seems to be ignoring you, and you can't figure out what you have done...

Should I just approach them head on and ask? Or do I also participate in these childish games, and see if they come crawling back?

Thanks for your help!
Reply 1
Ignore them back and wait for them to break. There isn't really a way of not playing games back in this situation because if you keep trying to contact them you're doing exactly what they want.
Reply 2
Original post by james1211
Ignore them back and wait for them to break. There isn't really a way of not playing games back in this situation because if you keep trying to contact them you're doing exactly what they want.

You've got a point there actually, I would be playing right into their hand :/ I mean he's done this before, and I have managed to wait it out, and he ended up contacting me. But this time feels different, like he's actually upset at something? This feels more vindictive, whereas before it was more like seeing if I was keen to talk to him. Dunno if that made any sense :smile:

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 3
Well if you know you didn't do anything, then he is in the wrong for just ignoring you, and I would just ignore him back. If on the other hand you have some sort of idea what this may be about, then you could try to fix it - but there is no guarantee it would work. People always suggest "talking" to others to solve their problems, but the reality is that this only works if you are dealing with mature and somewhat rational people who are willing to engage in conversation and to consider different viewpoints. Given that he started this ignoring-you-for-no-reason game it is unlikely he is either, so I would probably just ignore him back. I'd be perfectly normal / friendly when he is normal, and ignore him when he isn't.
Reply 4
They feel insecure, they want attention. You shouldn't give them loads of attention I don't think. I'd probably mention it to a couple of their friends and see if they know what you've "done wrong"! It might be a situation where from your point of view nothing has been done wrong, but if you try a lot to see it from their point of view, you might understand why they feel wronged. If you feel sorry, then say sorry and explain what happened. If you don't, then don't.

Until you find out the problem I wouldn't completely ignore them back. e.g. if you have to see them sometimes like in lectures I'd act the same as usual but not try to start long conversations. I'd acknowledge their existence with a smile or "hi", and if it were a group situation and I were asking everyone a question, I'd still say "how about you, [insertname]?" if everyone else had replied.

If you are mature about it then they will eventually realise how immature they have been.
Reply 5
To everyone who replied thanks, I found all the answers helpful!

He's just text me today, do you think I should glaze over the past week lile it never happened or ask if anything was bothering him?

Help please :smile:

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 6
i had to start avoiding someone who played mind games with me :frown:
i still miss her humour but she was not a nice person AT ALL

edit . my response didn't help op at all lol

best to avoid him
(edited 10 years ago)
Reply 7
Original post by SmileAway

He's just text me today, do you think I should glaze over the past week lile it never happened or ask if anything was bothering him?

Posted from TSR Mobile

Act like nothing happened... :smile:
(edited 10 years ago)
Reply 8
Original post by SmileAway

Posted from TSR Mobile

If it was me personally I wouldn't text them back or I'd leave it a few days.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending