The Student Room Group

FP1 Parabolas help?

a) Find the equation of the tangent at the point P(4a,4a) to the parabola with equation y2=4ax.

The tangent meets the x axis at point R(-4a,0) and the second tangent to the parabola with equation y2=4ax from R meets the parabola at Q(4a,-4a).

b) Calculate the area of the finite region enclosed between the tangents RP, RQ and the parabola with equation y2=4ax.

For a), I've found the equation of the parabola to be x-2y+4a=0.

I'm stuck on b). I've found the area of the triangle PQR by doing the following calculation:
0.5x8ax8a=32a2. I'm not sure what to do from there..?
Original post by bobbricks
a) Find the equation of the tangent at the point P(4a,4a) to the parabola with equation y2=4ax.

The tangent meets the x axis at point R(-4a,0) and the second tangent to the parabola with equation y2=4ax from R meets the parabola at Q(4a,-4a).

b) Calculate the area of the finite region enclosed between the tangents RP, RQ and the parabola with equation y2=4ax.

For a), I've found the equation of the parabola to be x-2y+4a=0.

I'm stuck on b). I've found the area of the triangle PQR by doing the following calculation:
0.5x8ax8a=32a2. I'm not sure what to do from there..?

What you've found so far is the area of the isosceles triangle with equal sides RP, RQ and base 8a.

Since you're finding the area enclosed between the tangents and the parabola, you need to subtract the area between the parabola and x-axis from the triangle to obtain the correct answer.
Reply 2
Original post by Khallil
What you've found so far is the area of the isosceles triangle with equal sides RP, RQ and base 8a.

Since you're finding the area enclosed between the tangents and the parabola, you need to subtract the area between the parabola and x-axis from the triangle to obtain the correct answer.

That's the bit I'm not sure how to do- how do I find the area between the parabola and the x axis?

Also, is this diagram correct (the red bit being the area I need to find)
Original post by bobbricks
That's the bit I'm not sure how to do- how do I find the area between the parabola and the x axis?

Also, is this diagram correct (the red bit being the area I need to find)

Yep the diagram is correct.

So far you've found that:
32a2=AGreen+ARed32a^2 = A_{\text{Green}} + A_{\text{Red}}

[field="To find AGreenA_{\text{Green}}, you need to rearrange the equation of the parabola to obtain yy as the subject"]
y2=4ax    y=f(x)y^2 = 4ax \implies y = f(x)

Afterwards, you need to integrate to find the area between the parabola and the x-axis.
AGreen=204af(x) dxA_{\text{Green}} = \displaystyle 2 \int_{0}^{4a} f(x)\ dx
(edited 10 years ago)
Reply 4
Original post by Khallil
Yep the diagram is correct.

So far you've found that:
32a2=AGreen+ARed32a^2 = A_{\text{Green}} + A_{\text{Red}}

[field="To find AGreenA_{\text{Green}}, you need to rearrange the equation of the parabola to obtain yy as the subject"]
y2=4ax    y=f(x)y^2 = 4ax \implies y = f(x)

Afterwards, you need to integrate to find the area between the parabola and the x-axis.
AGreen=204af(x) dxA_{\text{Green}} = \displaystyle 2 \int_{0}^{4a} f(x)\ dx

That's great thanks, I've managed to do it :biggrin:

Quick Reply

Latest