The Student Room Group
Students at Cornwall campus, University of Exeter
University of Exeter
Exeter

University of Exeter vs. Royal Holloway and general questions

I just got an offer, really not expecting one it was one of the universities i applied for just to fill a gap, and to be honest, thought i was going to be rejected. So, hurray!

To some people it might be a given to just go to University of Exeter, but i want to know generally a little more about it. I absolutely loved Royal Holloway, as I'm from London and pretty much tired of the city as I'm in it almost everyday. Thought it would be nice to go to the 'country' for a while. I would go to an open day, but there isn't one until June, and I think i would have to make my decision by that time. I have some questions:

- What is the University's atmosphere overall? I absolutely hated Manchester as it was massive, there was no privacy and I like the feeling of being in a small space, where everything I need is near me and wouldn't have to make treks into the city often.
-What are the people like? eg. London is in one word: anonymous. No one cares about anything and it's nice sometimes. But evidently, i want a bit of change for a while.
Catered or Self-catered? What is the accommodation like?
How much money do you get by in a week and what do you spend it on?
I'm doing Classical Studies, is it a large or small campus?
Is clubbing a big thing? Or is it more pub-cultured?
How is finding a job? Can you work within the University?

Sorry about the mass of questions, I'm extremely curious and don't want to make the mistake of going to the university just based on it's ranking in the league tables.
Reply 1
Exeter has a better reputation though....
Students at Cornwall campus, University of Exeter
University of Exeter
Exeter
Reply 2
Original post by StarkRob
Exeter has a better reputation though....

I don't want to choose my university based on that one reason, how does it have a better rep?
Reply 3
Original post by Qymberley
I don't want to choose my university based on that one reason, how does it have a better rep?

Royal Holloway is a very good University but Exeter has been rising in the league tables and now is in the top 10/15
I was in such a similar position! Deciding between Royal Holloway and Exeter for Classical Studies (as part of a joint degree, but still!) :smile: I ended up choosing Exeter, although it was a tough decision, but I'm so glad I did - Exeter really is a great uni and the city is lovely. Although I did love Royal Holloway, (putting reputations aside), I think that Exeter was a better choice (for me at least), just because I've grown to love the city and town so much as well, and there's so much to do here, whereas from what I saw of Royal Holloway, (the campus is gorgeous), but it may have got a bit boring after a while.

To answer your questions - the atmosphere at Exeter is great. It has a relaxed feel to it, but there's never a shortage of things to do if you look for them. When people say it's sporty - they mean it! I was surprised by how true that part of the reputation is, but so many people literally seem to wear sportswear and team stash ALL THE TIME! But I'm not sporty at all, and it's absolutely no big deal. If you are though, Exeter is probably a good choice!

The people here are mostly friendly - there are some 'rah' type posh people, but I can't think of a single person I've actually taken issue with. Mostly people are either very friendly and keen to make friends (especially in the first few weeks), or either shy or just prefer keeping to themselves - either way, they're unlikely to bother you.

I'm in self-catered accommodation which I really like - the facilities are good and I like not having set times for meals. But I hear good things about catered too.

The campus is nicely set out, and for Classical Studies students all the lectures/seminars are within a 15 minute max. walking distance of each other (90% of my lectures are in buildings within a 7 minute walk of each other). So it's not too spread out. The campus is also only 20 minutes from town, or 10 by bus (although buses are expensive, be warned!).

I'm happy to answer any other questions you might have :smile: But in short, my (biased) advice would be to come to Exeter! :smile:
I've received offers from both too and can't decide between them! I feel like Exeter should be my firm because it's Exeter, and it would be silly to disregard it all together. Though the grades they expect are high (AAA), and I don't think I'm likely to get three As in summer, so I'm feeling hesitant. They are higher on the league tables for my course especially, and my sister also goes to Exeter, so I visit her often and have gotten so used to the city. I'm from a small town in Cornwall so the lack of night-life doesn't bother me much either as I'm very used to it. Roho on the other hand is a beautiful university, I visited the campus and fell in love with it. i'm so used to the countryside that I felt right at home, and it's still close enough for London if I want to venture there sometimes. I liked the look of the course too, but I've heard the course I've applied for (English with Classical studies) is good at both unis so I just can't decide!
(edited 10 years ago)
Reply 6
Original post by rebeccapally
I've received offers from both too and can't decide between them! I feel like Exeter should be my firm because it's Exeter, and it would be silly to disregard it all together. Though the grades they expect are high (AAA), and I don't think I'm likely to get three As in summer, so I'm feeling hesitant. They are higher on the league tables for my course especially, and my sister also goes to Exeter, so I visit her often and have gotten so used to the city. I'm from a small town in Cornwall so the lack of night-life doesn't bother me much either as I'm very used to it. Roho on the other hand is a beautiful university, I visited the campus and fell in love with it. i'm so used to the countryside that I felt right at home, and it's still close enough for London if I want to venture there sometimes. I liked the look of the course too, but I've heard the course I've applied for (English with Classical studies) is good at both unis so I just can't decide!

I am finding it difficult deciding which to firm too, but only for English and Art History at Exeter and English Literature at Rhul. ( I'm actually from Cornwall too, haha.) I keep thinking the logical thing to do would be to firm Exeter and put Royal Holloway as my insurance- but I can't quite bring myself to do it! Good luck with your decision :smile:
Original post by LitStudent17
I visited and applied to both, and though Exeter has a better reputation, from what you say I think you would prefer Royal Holloway. Exeter does have a slightly anonymous feel, and the accommodation is nowhere near as nice as Holloway! The cheapest accommodation at Exeter is horrible.

I don't know about studying Classics, but Exeter is probably more clubbing than pub-cultured, and has more on offer than Holloway in terms of social life.You'd probably have more opportunities (study abroad, visiting lecturers etc.) at Exeter.
However, Holloway has an amazing and friendly atmosphere that I just didn't feel at Exeter.

Good luck with your decision!

Dude, she's probably graduated by now.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending