LTA1C - The Struggle for Identity in Modern Literature

Watch
SeneBase
Badges: 0
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 6 years ago
In May I have this (LTA1C) exam, and I'm not feeling all that confident for it.
I do not have much faith in my teacher to get me the A I really want.

For my text, I am reading: Hulabaloo in the Guava Orchard, A Streetcar named Desire, Death of a Salesman, Oranges are not the only fruit and Maya Angelou poetry collection.
(All texts can be brought into question 1)

1. Are the texts I am reading enough for the exam?

2.How should I structure the first (contextual linking) question in the exam. What are the best ways to approach it?
muffin_selight
Badges: 9
Rep:
?
Report 6 years ago
Well, for a start, I recommend that you read a variety of texts that cover all aspects of "The Struggle for Identity." E.g. Ireland, black history, feminism, homosexuality, discrimination, racism etc. I am not familiar with Hulabaloo in the Guava Orchard but the others are fine. I would also recommend The Handmaid's Tale, Slaughterhouse 5, Things Fall Apart, Making History and Top Girls.

Which poetry collection are you doing specifically?

In the exam, you will be asked to consider:

• The writer’s thoughts and feelings about the struggle for identity
  • The ways in which he or she expresses them
  • How typical it is of Literature about the struggle for identity in terms of subject matter
  • How typical it is of Literature about the struggle for identity in terms of style.

Ensure you have an equal amount of wider reading on poetry, drama and prose.

You MUST consider form, structure and language, alternative interpretations and how the contexts that the texts were written in INFLUENCED the writer to write that particular text - don't simply state the context it was written in, say WHY. What was the writer trying to achieve through writing this text? What was their message? How did they want the audience to feel? How do issues like the time a text was written, the gender of the writer and the genre it is written in (poetry, prose, drama) effect the presentation of the struggle for identity? How were - and are - the texts perceived? How is a story told – chronologically? With flashbacks? A dual narrative? What is the effect of this?
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

Current uni students - are you thinking of dropping out of university?

Yes, I'm seriously considering dropping out (66)
14.93%
I'm not sure (16)
3.62%
No, I'm going to stick it out for now (148)
33.48%
I have already dropped out (7)
1.58%
I'm not a current university student (205)
46.38%

Watched Threads