Just found out I have coronary artery disease.... Watch

Anonymous #1
Report Thread starter 5 years ago
I'm a 17 year old girl and found it unusual how I would get bad chest pains practically every P.E lesson, in gym, running or dance class and have to sit out for a few minutes. I would also get ridiculously short of breath and my heart beat was crazy. My parents didn't take me seriously until I made them take me to the G.P. The GP diagnosed me with stable angina which is chest pain during exercise. They then did further tests and I've been diagnosed with coronary artery disease (grandfather had it also).

I find this very worrying because I'm an anxious person in general and if you have CAD your risk of having a heart attack is higher. This may sound stupid but I always wanted to go into a professional career and become a high-flyer such as in Law or business. Now I fear the stress will be too much for me and I will end up having a heart attack. A friend dragged me to yoga and I actually ended up enjoying it, would it be ideal for me to embark on a career as a yoga instructor? As I've been diagnosed with anxiety and now CAD aswell as the fact I get quite stressed easily, wouldn't that make sense? The problem is I have always been very ambitious and it conflicts with my aspirations of going into the professional field.

How to not get so stressed/calm down about this diagnosis? :/
Anonymous #1
Also I forgot to mention that it is the leading cause of death worldwide. This terrifies me immensely
Quilt
Badges: 13
Rep:
?
Report 5 years ago
First of all, I'm really sorry about your diagnosis!

You should most definitely put your health before your career, however shouldn't completely give up your aspirations because of the heart disease. Live your life in a way that will make you happy and feel for-filled, and if that comes in perusing a career in law, by all means do it. Any 'high flying' job is going to be stressful, and being someone who also suffers with anxiety and gets stressed very easily, I can somewhat empathise with your concern. Take it one step at a time. You're 17, you don't have to decide on your career today, so just give it time. Try to sort out some therapy for your anxiety, a doctor/psychologist may be able to help you discover ways to keep your stress levels to a minimum and thereby helping you to cope not only now but in the future too.

Good luck x
shiggydiggy
Badges: 10
Rep:
?
Report 5 years ago
What tests have they done on you?
Moronic-Acid
Badges: 0
Rep:
?
Report 5 years ago
Hi, I'm really sorry to hear about your diagnosis.

A couple of years ago I used to get frustrated fast and used to worry about a lot of things that didn't really matter. As cheesy/religious as it sounds I started meditating. I became a really calm person and now I can take life's problems as they happen. If your interested type in Australian meditation society and just look around the website a little bit.

Just always be positive and you can overcome anything
hslt
Badges: 12
Rep:
?
Report 5 years ago
How were you diagnosed with this by your GP? What tests were done?
moonkatt
Badges: 19
Rep:
?
Report 5 years ago
A diagnosis of coronary artery disease at the age of 17 is very rare. What tests have you had done? You say you've been diagnosed by your GP? I find all of this a bit odd.
Swanbow
Rep:
?
Report 5 years ago
You should be extremely thankful that this was diagnosed early, a lot of people don't release they have heart disease until it is too late. At least the doctors now know what the problem is and can try various treatments. I'm sorry to hear about all this, it must be extremely difficult for you. Follow a career path you'll be happy in, and if that happens to be a yoga instructor then go for it
Anonymous #1
(Original post by moonkatt)
A diagnosis of coronary artery disease at the age of 17 is very rare. What tests have you had done? You say you've been diagnosed by your GP? I find all of this a bit odd.
When I went to the GP about my bad chest pains whenever doing physical activities they reckoned I had stable angina, then referred me to the hospital where I had further tests done.
moonkatt
Rep:
?
Report 5 years ago
(Original post by Anonymous)
When I went to the GP about my bad chest pains whenever doing physical activities they reckoned I had stable angina, then referred me to the hospital where I had further tests done.
What tests did they do? I'm genuinely curious as it's incredibly rare for someone to have coronary artery disease at your age.
shiggydiggy
Badges: 10
Rep:
?
Report 5 years ago
(Original post by Anonymous)
Did they inject dye into your wrist/groin to take images of your heart?
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

What's stopping you doing a masters?

It's too expensive (56)
24.89%
My career doesn't need one (30)
13.33%
I'm sick of studying (45)
20%
I can't find a course I want to do (6)
2.67%
I don't know enough about them (16)
7.11%