The Student Room Group

Facial hair removal

Hiya, for a while now I have been having problems with my facial hair. It's not overly bad or all over my face but restricted to the ares of my upper lip, chin and side burn area. It really annoys me! I'm transsexual, so obviously the facial hair makes me feel a lot less feminine. I sneaked one of my dad's razors and use it to shave but it ends up leaving me with red marks/razor burn, I have even resorted to sudacrem to lighten the redness but it is just annoying me because I spend about twenty minutes shaving until I get it right. It's not just facial hair but my body hair, like my legs are really hairy and arms but they are not the priority. The greyish shade that can be left behind after shaving and the red marks really ruin my confidence and I hate thinking that people know that I shave. Literally, it makes me feel so self conscious, especially with good looking guys around school ;D
So anyway, I have sensitive skin and dark hair so are there any products you can recommend that would get rid of it, I know permanently would be too much to ask but are there any products that will make the hair finer or less dark and that will mean I don't have to shave as much, or not shave at all, so I can let my skin heal properly. Bare in mind, my skin does react badly to chemicals. I tried Nair and after the first minute my skin burned.
So thanks, any advice would be very needed and suggestions for products that suit my criteria thanks :biggrin:
Reply 1
Unfortunately not, I am only 15. So I was thinking something I could buy on Amazon, £15 at most probably.
Maybe try different shaving creams until you find one that stops razor burn for you? Buy your own razor cause borrowing one can screw up your skin, there's nothing wrong with girls getting them. Or bleach the hairs? I have a friend who has dark hairs on her upper lip and she bleaches them. I didn't even know until she told me so it does work, her skin is sort of dark too. Might be an issue with sensitive skin though :/ I know you said Nair burnt you but maybe try Veet? It's similar but they have a sensitive skin version which works if you're patient. If you're desperate, maybe an epilator would work but it would be really painful and I don't think it would do you any good just it's less rough than waxing in my opinion.

I don't really know how it works but could the doctor get you onto a hormone treatment thing via NHS cause you're transsexual? If it's ruining your confidence then it's getting in the way of your life which is a good reason. Idk how it works though so it might be a stupid suggestion.
Reply 3
Waxing? Threading? Sugaring? Bleaching? Laser treatment?
(edited 10 years ago)
Reply 4
Original post by flyyoufools
Maybe try different shaving creams until you find one that stops razor burn for you? Buy your own razor cause borrowing one can screw up your skin, there's nothing wrong with girls getting them. Or bleach the hairs? I have a friend who has dark hairs on her upper lip and she bleaches them. I didn't even know until she told me so it does work, her skin is sort of dark too. Might be an issue with sensitive skin though :/ I know you said Nair burnt you but maybe try Veet? It's similar but they have a sensitive skin version which works if you're patient. If you're desperate, maybe an epilator would work but it would be really painful and I don't think it would do you any good just it's less rough than waxing in my opinion.

I don't really know how it works but could the doctor get you onto a hormone treatment thing via NHS cause you're transsexual? If it's ruining your confidence then it's getting in the way of your life which is a good reason. Idk how it works though so it might be a stupid suggestion.
Oh no no, seriously I have this really weird thing about shaving cream, I just can't abide them. Yeah, bleaching would probably be bad for my sensitive skin, too bad :frown: Okay, I will search for the Veet thing and my parents do know about me being either gay or transsexual so yeah. Not possible.
Original post by fleurdewicca
Oh no no, seriously I have this really weird thing about shaving cream, I just can't abide them. Yeah, bleaching would probably be bad for my sensitive skin, too bad :frown: Okay, I will search for the Veet thing and my parents do know about me being either gay or transsexual so yeah. Not possible.

Even the sensitive skin ones? Shaving without just messes up your skin. If you can't deal with them, then how about conditioner? You have to be really careful but I know people who use it instead of shaving cream.
That sucks :/

If you're really stuck, buy an electric shaver and just trim the hair really short then use concealer to cover the follicles? Just be really careful to match your skin tone and don't use too much.
Reply 6
Try bleach twice in a month this would help you out.
Reply 7
Original post by fleurdewicca
Hiya, for a while now I have been having problems with my facial hair. It's not overly bad or all over my face but restricted to the ares of my upper lip, chin and side burn area. It really annoys me! I'm transsexual, so obviously the facial hair makes me feel a lot less feminine. I sneaked one of my dad's razors and use it to shave but it ends up leaving me with red marks/razor burn, I have even resorted to sudacrem to lighten the redness but it is just annoying me because I spend about twenty minutes shaving until I get it right. It's not just facial hair but my body hair, like my legs are really hairy and arms but they are not the priority. The greyish shade that can be left behind after shaving and the red marks really ruin my confidence and I hate thinking that people know that I shave. Literally, it makes me feel so self conscious, especially with good looking guys around school ;D
So anyway, I have sensitive skin and dark hair so are there any products you can recommend that would get rid of it, I know permanently would be too much to ask but are there any products that will make the hair finer or less dark and that will mean I don't have to shave as much, or not shave at all, so I can let my skin heal properly. Bare in mind, my skin does react badly to chemicals. I tried Nair and after the first minute my skin burned.
So thanks, any advice would be very needed and suggestions for products that suit my criteria thanks :biggrin:
Hey hunny, whatever you do DONT shave there, it will 100% grow back thicker and blacker. Stick to threading, this costs about £8 at most and gives a really natural effect. The other alternative it waxing, this lasts longer however for the first go can be a bit painful (after a while you can adjust to the pain :smile: )
Reply 8
I have very sensitive skin but the first one you suggested is very smooth.
Hey,

I think Revitol Hair Removal Cream should help you. It is all-natural and very effective.

If you can use turmeric, it is one of the best ways to remove facial hair naturally and curb its growth. You can use it while you take shower, though am not sure if you can get it, or use it at your place. However the cream should do all the work for you!

Hope it helps.

Best Regards
Reply 10
There's this thing that I use when I'm trying to get rid of peach fuzz on my lip. Basically it's this really tightly coiled spring, and you sort of roll it on your face and it grabs the hair and pulls it out on the root. It's supposed to be like threading, only it's much cheaper and you can get them for less than a fiver online. I got mine for 75p at a charity shop.

I'm not sure how well it would work on more coarse hair, but I imagine it would do the same thing. It does hurt a though, a bit like plucking your brows, and I don't know how it would be on more sensitive skin. Anyway if you want to check it out you can google 'Japanese hair removal spring' and it should come up with some amazon links and a youtube video explaining it a bit better.

Hope this helped x
(edited 10 years ago)

Quick Reply

Latest