The Student Room Group

Really need some advice...36" waist and 45" hips male.

I don't understand why my body is like this but it's been like this for years now and I've been exercising but not seeing a difference. A pear shaped body on a male is really rare from what I've heard and I just can't shift the weight. Here are some stats:

Height - 5'6"
Weight - 91kg/200 pounds
BMR - 2007.4
Apparently what my daily caloric intake should be to stay at the same weight (maintenance) - 2759.625 (multiplying 2007 by 1.375 for lightly active)
BMI - 32.3
Body Fat Percentage - 19.3% (Waist 36", Hips 45", Wrist 7", Forearm 10")

I've been going to the gym 4-5 times a week for ages. I usually do 10-15 minutes on the treadmill, followed by 20-30 minutes of weights/machines, and ending with 15-20 minutes on the treadmill or 10 minutes on the exercise bike.

I'm always well below my maintenance intake (frankly I think it's wrong, I never eat that much unless it's a one off day like pizza or something which would only happen once every couple of months, yet I don't lose any weight at all on all the other days). I think it's the carbs and trashy food that have got me to this weight, but I've cut stuff like that out for ages now and still not seeing results.

I'm eating at like 1200 calories, and I genuinely can't imagine eating more than that and staying healthy, especially anywhere near 2200 calories everyday (safe deficit apparently, Maintenance-500). It just seems like too much food for my stomach. I think I must have metabolic damage or something from not eating enough this past year, and my weight loss has almost come to a standstill (I was 38" waist a few months ago).

Also is it just me or should be Body Fat Percentage be a lot higher? From what I've heard 19% isn't that high for someone of my weight.

I also don't understand the point of eating more calories the more you exercise, it just doesn't make any sense to me. Lets say 2200 calories gives me a 500 calorie deficit, and I burn 200 calories in the gym, giving me a now 700 calorie deficit, from what I've seen it is advised that I eat those calories back, but what is the point of doing exercise then if you're just going to eat back the calories you burn?

Currently I've been trying intermittent fasting along with atkins diet but it's not working for me. Any advice would be appreciated.
(edited 10 years ago)
Reply 1
Body burns glucose, then muscle, then fat for energy. In that order. So in effect with the deficiency and going to the gym. Your burning muscle and then trying to put it back on in the gym.
This could all be utter bull****, it's what a mate told me in the gym so correct me if I'm wrong but, just my two cents.
Reply 2
Original post by 12393
I don't understand why my body is like this but it's been like this for years now and I've been exercising but not seeing a difference. A pear shaped body on a male is really rare from what I've heard and I just can't shift the weight. Here are some stats:

Height - 5'6"
Weight - 91kg/200 pounds
BMR - 2007.4
Apparently what my daily caloric intake should be to stay at the same weight (maintenance) - 2759.625 (multiplying 2007 by 1.375 for lightly active)
BMI - 32.3
Body Fat Percentage - 19.3% (Waist 36", Hips 45", Wrist 7", Forearm 10")

I've been going to the gym 4-5 times a week for ages. I usually do 10-15 minutes on the treadmill, followed by 20-30 minutes of weights/machines, and ending with 15-20 minutes on the treadmill or 10 minutes on the exercise bike.

I'm always well below my maintenance intake (frankly I think it's wrong, I never eat that much unless it's a one off day like pizza or something which would only happen once every couple of months, yet I don't lose any weight at all on all the other days). I think it's the carbs and trashy food that have got me to this weight, but I've cut stuff like that out for ages now and still not seeing results.

I'm eating at like 1200 calories, and I genuinely can't imagine eating more than that and staying healthy, especially anywhere near 2200 calories everyday (safe deficit apparently, Maintenance-500). It just seems like too much food for my stomach. I think I must have metabolic damage or something from not eating enough this past year, and my weight loss has almost come to a standstill.

Also is it just me or should be Body Fat Percentage be a lot higher? From what I've heard 19% isn't that high for someone of my weight.

I also don't understand the point of eating more calories the more you exercise, it just doesn't make any sense to me. Lets say 2200 calories gives me a 500 calorie deficit, and I burn 200 calories in the gym, giving me a now 700 calorie deficit, from what I've seen it is advised that I eat those calories back, but what is the point of doing exercise then if you're just going to eat back the calories you burn?

Currently I've been trying intermittent fasting along with atkins diet but it's not working for me. Any advice would be appreciated.

yeah eating that low could have messed your body. it seems likely

get eating to 2200 calories, it's a marathon, not a sprint

good luck

try drinking calories

e.g. weight gainers
Reply 3
Original post by tehforum
yeah eating that low could have messed your body. it seems likely

get eating to 2200 calories, it's a marathon, not a sprint

good luck

try drinking calories

e.g. weight gainers

If it gets to the point where I feel sick and that my stomach feels incredibly full, and this happens at say around 1500 calories, what should I do then? Carry on eating to 2200?
Reply 4
Original post by 12393
If it gets to the point where I feel sick and that my stomach feels incredibly full, and this happens at say around 1500 calories, what should I do then? Carry on eating to 2200?

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/191018890868?var=490236670465&ssPageName=STRK:MEWNX:IT&_trksid=p3984.m1497.l2649

try this
700cals in one serving

it would make up the deficit
Reply 5

Alright I'll take a look at it. Can you answer any of my other questions, like the one about eating back calories your burn during exercise or the one about my body fat percentage?
Reply 6
Original post by 12393
Alright I'll take a look at it. Can you answer any of my other questions, like the one about eating back calories your burn during exercise or the one about my body fat percentage?

19% BF is fine.

i can't answer your question about the merits of exercises and how it aids weight loss, in relation to your diet
Reply 7
But why are my hips are so much bigger than my waist? Why don't I store the majority of my fat in my belly like most males? My brother has the same problem. If it's an estrogen problem how do I go about tackling it?
Reply 8
Anyone else?
Reply 10
Original post by RollerBall

And say what?
Do some squats and deadlifts and curlz. Then eat some oats.

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by 12393
And say what?

I eat almost nothing, don't lose weight and have female proportions. Although for the latter we need a pic tbh.
36" waist at your height is fat. You're 20%+ fat for sure.

Your eating habits sound terrible. You've been abusing your body. It's very unhealthy for you to consume 1200 Cal. Eat 2000 and move more (some cardio but nothing insane, say 3 times a week). Go see a doc just in case you have a messed up thyroid or something

Sent from my HTC One

Quick Reply

Latest