The Student Room Group

Uni Loans as a Muslim

Scroll to see replies

Reply 80
Original post by NothingToSeeHere
Yes, a homosexual Muslim. Is homosexuality worse than interest?

Posted from TSR Mobile

No. From my knowledge, interest is one of the worst sins a person can commit.

Also, having homosexual feelings is not a sin, it's the act which is.
Reply 81
Original post by windy123
Thankfully, the OP is my close friend, goes to my school and we have been debating about this for a week or so with another friend of mine.

Yes, if you knowingly take part in Riba, it is 36 times worse than Zina. It's a hadith.

Also: Abu Huraira said that the Messenger of Allah(Peace be upon him) said: Riba is of seventy different kinds, the least grave being equivalent to a man marrying (i.e. having sexual intercourse with) his own mother.
(Ibn Majah, Baihaqi)

I'm not one to judge, I'm just giving knowledge. Also, under no circumstances is university a necessity, as a Ummah, we should educate ourselves, but there are other alternatives such as grants(if your eligable), family members, or islamic loans.

Interesting points. Perhaps you should communicate this to your fellows in the Muslim Society. I am very keen to hear what they have to say.
Reply 82
Original post by Juichiro
Individual circumstances are irrelevant. Rules are rules.
I think your Muslim fellow has a point. If your religion says A, then it's A. You can't just twist interpretations to fit what you want. If you can't take a loan with interest then you can't. If you take it, you are committing a sin and you should be ready to face whatever punishment you religion gives to you.

I completely agree. I am not particularly religious but if a person is going to be religious then they should actually follow the religion rather than thinking "oh I will take this part" "no that part is too difficult".
Original post by AdamskiUK
Yeah, I understand entirely. You're entirely correct in saying Riba is a major sin - it is considered worse than eating pork or consuming alcohol.

I intend to walk into school tomorrow and ask every single Muslim friend I have:

a) What can you tell me about riba?
b) Are you getting a student loan this year?

I'll say no more to them.

Lol, you'll get some interesting replies no doubt. But I have a feeling quite a few of them won't know how major a sin it actually is. My friends for example, the majority of them are Muslim and every single one of them plans to take out the loan. When I spoke to a few of them about it, they were genuinely clueless about how major a sin it was, and these are people you'd think would know.

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 84
Yeah, I understand entirely. You're entirely correct in saying Riba is a major sin - it is considered worse than eating pork or consuming alcohol.

I intend to walk into school tomorrow and ask every single Muslim friend I have:

a) What can you tell me about riba?
b) Are you getting a student loan this year?

I'll say no more to them.

Not too sure if your being sarcastic but I guess so :smile:

Chances are, most of them won't know what it is. By the way, just for your knowledge, we Muslims believe that when the day of judgement draws near, there will be only 1200 Muslims who will be the real followers with prophet Isa A.S(Jesus). So yeah :L
(edited 10 years ago)
Original post by sjaan
Not too sure if your being sarcastic but I guess so :smile:

Chances are, most of them won't know what it is. By the way, just for your knowledge, we Muslims believe that when the day of judgement draws near, there will be only 1200 Muslims who will be the real followers with prophet Isa A.S(Jesus). So yeah :L

I'm not being sarcastic at all. There're a few devout Muslims I know...

Wow, really? I never knew that! Can you tell me where abouts that's from?
Reply 86
Original post by Friendly11
I completely agree. I am not particularly religious but if a person is going to be religious then they should actually follow the religion rather than thinking "oh I will take this part" "no that part is too difficult".

As a Muslim, I agree. Some of them think smoking weed is not even a sin.
Original post by ArsenalObsessed
Lol, you'll get some interesting replies no doubt. But I have a feeling quite a few of them won't know how major a sin it actually is. My friends for example, the majority of them are Muslim and every single one of them plans to take out the loan. When I spoke to a few of them about it, they were genuinely clueless about how major a sin it was, and these are people you'd think would know.

Posted from TSR Mobile

They'll just tell me that it's all a misinterpretation and that their Imam doesn't care, tells them to ignore fatwas and encourages fervent partying with much drugs and many alcohol.
Reply 88
Original post by Dylankj96
Somehow I'm failing to see why this question is exclusive to Muslims... :confused:

Apparently, they are forbidden to take loans with interest.
Reply 89
I'm not being sarcastic at all. There're a few devout Muslims I know...

Wow, really? I never knew that! Can you tell me where abouts that's from?

Yeah, real shock to most :P. What do you mean by the way?
Original post by sjaan
Perhaps, they weren't educated on the subject. Are they practicing?

Possibly, they may have learnt the difference between practice and practise at uni though :tongue:
Reply 91
Individual circumstances are irrelevant. Rules are rules.
I think your Muslim fellow has a point. If your religion says A, then it's A. You can't just twist interpretations to fit what you want. If you can't take a loan with interest then you can't. If you take it, you are committing a sin and you should be ready to face whatever punishment you religion gives to you.

Actually.. it depends. For example, if one is in a dying situation and pork is the only food that they can eat. Then it is permissible for them to eat it.
Reply 92
Original post by NothingToSeeHere
Yep, they wear the hijab and pray whenever they can in the prayer room.

I never heard them mention even once, this interest rule. So in essense, this rule means that only wealthy Muslims can go to university in this country?

This essentially means that only wealthy Muslims can go to uni?

Posted from TSR Mobile

Not necessarily. You "just" need to work hard for a very long period. I say about 10 years. So if you are willing to go to uni work for 10 years, pay the fees and you are in.
Reply 93
Original post by sjaan
As a Muslim, I agree. Some of them think smoking weed is not even a sin.

It is pathetic, I know. Either follow all the doctrines or none of them. Just do not pretend to be a Muslim and ignore them. You're an interesting individual and very insightful.
Not necessarily. You "just" need to work hard for a very long period. I say about 10 years. So if you are willing to go to uni work for 10 years, pay the fees and you are in.

10??

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 95
Original post by sjaan
I'm sorry but your wrong. Allah has made what is wrong and right clear. This is not a matter of scholars, or what not. Interest is one of the worst sins.

Also, the fact that they have high advanced knowledge of Islam and have studied it thoroughly is what makes them scholars.

In most cases, fatwas don't contradict each other. Perhaps there might be a difference in views, but I have yet to see contradictions.

Most is not "all". This is not really relevant but I am curious now. Since you said "most" I guess there exist some fatwas that contradict each other?
Reply 96
Original post by Friendly11
It is pathetic, I know. Either follow all the doctrines or none of them. Just do not pretend to be a Muslim and ignore them. You're an interesting individual and very insightful.

Hehe, true I guess. And thank you very much, the same can be said for you :h:
Oh my i wasnt even aware of this. Alhumdulilah i've seen it now but how will i get out of student finance? I'm in my 2nd year at uni :/
Reply 98
Original post by sjaan
A homosexual Muslim? And yes, there is different levels of sin.

Can you explain a bit please?
Reply 99
Original post by sjaan
Actually.. it depends. For example, if one is in a dying situation and pork is the only food that they can eat. Then it is permissible for them to eat it.

Okay, so exceptions are life or death situations. Makes sense.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending