The Student Room Group

What is the smartest A-Level?

What I mean by the smartest is which a level will be most respected if you said you got an A* in? Or in other hand, which subject would you need the most knowledge in to excel

English Language
English Literature
Further Maths
Single Mathematics
Use of Mathematics
Physics
History
Biology
Chemistry
Law
Geography
Geology
IT
DT
French
Spanish
German
Art
Photography
Food
Economics
Accounting
Business
Dance
Drama
Government and Politics
General Studies
PE
Sociology
Physiology
And Music?
(edited 10 years ago)

Scroll to see replies

Why is history not on that list? :gasp:

Posted from TSR Mobile
I know foreign languages are notoriously hard for getting an A* in
Reply 3
Original post by Lucy96
Why is history not on that list? :gasp:

Posted from TSR Mobile

Lol x I've added it now
Reply 4
Original post by super_kawaii
I know foreign languages are notoriously hard for getting an A* in

I agree, I do French and it's absolutely solid.

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by gracelich
I agree, I do French and it's absolutely solid.

Posted from TSR Mobile

I did French and German for A Level. Don't know how I managed to get A's in both at A2
Reply 6
I did French and German for A Level. Don't know how I managed to get A's in both at A2

I got an A at AS, and predicted an A at A2. But I think there is such a massive jump from AS to A2, in terms of the range of vocab and essay writing.

Posted from TSR Mobile
Physics it's actually killing me
I got an A at AS, and predicted an A at A2. But I think there is such a massive jump from AS to A2, in terms of the range of vocab and essay writing.

Posted from TSR Mobile

I actually found all the essay writing quite enjoyable, although I am a bit of a language nerd myself :colondollar:
Original post by MidnightDream
Physics it's actually killing me

Physics or Further Maths.
Reply 11
Obviously Art, Drama, Photography or General studies right?
Reply 12
Getting an A* in physics, maths or chem Looks a real challenge, anyways
Saying that if i had carried on with subjects i found harder like any languages i may be saying something different

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by Transformational
Physics or Further Maths.

what do you mean?
Reply 14
1) Disappointed psychology isn't a contender when it's much harder than sociology.
2) Surely the most respected (and therefore hardest) A level is maths/further maths, just look at university websites.
Reply 15
I actually found all the essay writing quite enjoyable, although I am a bit of a language nerd myself :colondollar:

Posted from TSR Mobile

I find the essays easier at A2!! I'm AQA and studying a region so that may be why...

Also in agreement with the A* thing. I would love one but it's near on impossible, I swear!! Languages are definitely much tougher to achieve one in.
Reply 16
physics!!! agh i got an A* at GCSE...came into alevels thinking itll be alright..but have recently been getting Es and Ds not great!
Original post by Paralove
I find the essays easier at A2!! I'm AQA and studying a region so that may be why...

Also in agreement with the A* thing. I would love one but it's near on impossible, I swear!! Languages are definitely much tougher to achieve one in.

I did OCR. Quite liked the layout of the exams, despite the listening/reading/writing exam being three hours!
Reply 18
(Additional) Further Maths
(edited 10 years ago)
Art or Music, a lot of people just don't have the skills needed and would completely flop (me included :tongue:)

Posted from TSR Mobile

Quick Reply