The Student Room Group

Russel group universities

I'm currently in y11 and currently applying for colleges & really wish to hopefully study law at a Russell group university and become a lawyer. My grades are mostly A' and a couple of B's at the moment. Could anyone tell me what sorts of things a good university would like me to have/do?

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 1
Original post by Iqra98
I'm currently in y11 and currently applying for colleges & really wish to hopefully study law at a Russell group university and become a lawyer. My grades are mostly A' and a couple of B's at the moment. Could anyone tell me what sorts of things a good university would like me to have/do?

Posted from TSR Mobile

http://www.russellgroup.ac.uk/our-universities/
They always say that a good well rounded personality is good but many agree that academic achievements outweigh personality
Just work really hard and try and get the best grades you can for your GCSEs and A levels. If you can, it might also be helpful to get some relevant work experience but this isn't essential :smile:
Reply 4
The Russell Group has a booklet Informed Choices http://www.russellgroup.ac.uk/informed-choices/ which gives useful information. For something like law you are safest with at least 2 traditional subjects and you will need good grades as law is very popular - you should be aiming for A grades at A2

Good luck
The most important thing is that you get the grades that they require. This will vary, but for the most part law at an RG uni is going to ask for A*AA-AAB.

There also tends to be a preference for traditional and rigorous subjects. Classic A Level choices for law include English Lit, History, Government & Politics, RS, Philosophy and MFLs, though science and maths subjects are usually acceptable (though I'd still recommend that you do at least one essay based subject, so as to develop your essay writing skills). Note that law is often regarded as a soft subject at A Level, and though doing it wouldn't prevent you from doing law at an RG uni, it's not really going to count in your favour and may actually be a disadvantage (counter-intuitive, I know!)
Good grades. That's it really.
Don't get obsessed about Russell Group Unis. It's just a 'group of Universities' - it doesn't mean 'better'. Going to one doesn't mean you will either enjoy the course more, get a better degree result or be guaranteed any happier a life than anyone else.

Read the opening post here - it has very good advice about this and 'League Tables' :
http://www.thestudentroom.co.uk/showthread.php?t=1096372
Original post by returnmigrant
Don't get obsessed about Russell Group Unis. It's just a 'group of Universities' - it doesn't mean 'better'. Going to one doesn't mean you will either enjoy the course more, get a better degree result or be guaranteed any happier a life than anyone else.

Read the opening post here - it has very good advice about this and 'League Tables' :
http://www.thestudentroom.co.uk/showthread.php?t=1096372

Keep on fighting the good fight. *sighs*
To have the biggest choice of universities (which as said, doesn't always need to be Russel group) you need the best GCSE grades you can achieve. Some universities aren't very interested in your GCSE profile at the moment, but with changes to the AS level/A-level system coming in, they may be more interested in the future.

The most important grades for all courses are your English and Maths GCSEs, as well as whatever requirements your school/college places on you doing your chosen A-levels.

Again, at A-level the better your grades, the more choice you will have about applying to the most competitive universities. I agree that doing at least one essay subject would be a good idea- as law at university involves writing a lot of essays.

Next year, you might also like to think about the specific universities you may want to go to and visit some open days in the summer.
Original post by carnationlilyrose
Keep on fighting the good fight. *sighs*

I do my best. And together I do think that we do manage to persuade some away from the 'RG is everything' mania.
Original post by returnmigrant
I do my best. And together I do think that we do manage to persuade some away from the 'RG is everything' mania.

Yes, mustn't give in. Never surrender!
Reply 12
What is the big deal with Russell Group universities? :shifty:
So much hype...
Original post by bumblybee
So much hype...

Welcome to TSR.
Original post by bumblybee
So much hype...

The RG is a group of large, research intensive universities. It's often used as shorthand for 'good universities' but that ignores various realities including that not all good unis are in the RG, some unis outside the RG have departments that outshine their RG counterparts and for any given individual the best course and uni may be a non RG uni.

RG unis are good, but they're not the be all and end all.

Posted from TSR Mobile

Quick Reply