The Student Room Group

My girlfriend is, metaphorically speaking, very dead. How can I change that?

She isn't interested in anything. It's so depressing because she's young and should ideally be very interested and enthusiastic, not dead and blank.

But she doesn't interest herself in anything.

I don't mean that she goes about the place looking depressed and shabby and worn, no. She actually has a pretty decent wardrobe and looks pretty nice and happy somehow. But she's so dead. She doesn't interest herself in anything. She doesn't talk about anything in particular. I can tell that she doesn't even FEEL strongly about anything in particular. I get the impression that her mind is a complete void or something. She does well at school and is predicted As and A*s but she's not interested in her studies either. There's nothing she associates herself with. She's just not interested.

We're in A2 and were applying to unis together a few months ago and she's applying for Medicine but she doesn't even want to do Medicine, but for some crazy reason, she's applied for Medicine, and to some very highly rated med schools. When I confronted her about it she said it's because there's nothing else that interests her that's useful so what's the use.
I feel kind of sorry for her because she likes reading and books and stuff and wouldn't have minded doing something like Literature or Linguistics, she told me once. That's the only thing she's actually interested (and that too only very little, she reads obscure books I've never heard of) and she says it's 'an impractical interest'.

She even admits herself that she's uninterested in most things.

And I feel she's not interested in me either. It's not because she's not interested in me specifically, it's because she's not interested in anything at all, and I'm no exception.
But I don't want to leave her. And I can't think of a way to get her interested in things in general.

Majorly bugged.
Reply 1
That's just most women in general unfortunately imho. Out of interest why are you dating her at all?
Original post by Jebedee
That's just most women in general unfortunately imho. Out of interest why are you dating her at all?

Most women are not, metaphorically speaking, dead. :K:
Reply 3
End it
Maybe she's depressed? Depression can cause people to lose interest in things.
She's gonna love medicine.

She sounds like too much effort.
Reply 6
wow ignore people telling you to leave her

she may be suffering from depression or a metal illness take her to a gp or ask her
Why aren't you talking to her about this mate, she's in the best position to explain why.
Reply 8
Sounds like textbook depression. It can really knock the zing out of anything, even things that would seem 'fun' to anyone. As well as affecting energy levels and sleep so it's a triple (quadruple, quintuple maybe even depending in symptoms) whammy

Posted from TSR Mobile

Quick Reply

Latest