Turn on thread page Beta

GCSE English of mice and men watch

Announcements

ReputationRep:
    does anyone know how to write an essay based on of mice and men?
    The question is this; ' Explore how Steinbeck uses language to pre'ent candy and crooks in of mice and men'
    Any advice?

ReputationRep:
    Yeah you should google on some character comparison essays on google, I can't find an specific ones now but I did that for the whole of my GCSE course, I got C/D grades throughout the year and when i started reading essays online I rose up to an A* for my finals

ReputationRep:
    I had the exact same question a few months but without candy. My teacher gave me some great revision aid and I got a A! Reply back if you want some of this revision aid

Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by German123)
    The question is this; ' Explore how Steinbeck uses language to pre'ent candy and crooks in of mice and men'
    Any advice?
    Last year I had to write an essay very similar to this, but on the presentation of Slim.

I started off by giving an overall opinion of him: that he's a character of extreme importance and viewed as "Godlike" by the other ranch workers. From there on I picked out quotes and explain them, for example:

"Being described as "the prince of the ranch" we can tell at once that he's not somebody to be messed around with, but at the same time he's not a bully, instead "his tone was friendly" and "invited confidence without demanding it". This quote alone shows us he doesn't demand the attention he receives, and wipes away any doubt that Slim isn't a nice man."

The first paragraph is based around his importance as a character, the second paragraph is around his being presented as careful and precise and I finished off with a small conclusion on how Steinbeck seems to respect him as a character due to the way he's described throughout the novel.

I got full marks for this question.

For your question I would do a paragraph on each men. I don't know if you're expected to compare them to one another. If you are then I would start with a paragraph on whichever character you are more comfortable talking about, then a second paragraph comparing the second character to the first. If the essay isn't meant to be based around a comparison, then I would do a paragraph on each man and just mention in the conclusion how different the language is around both characters.

Basically just make sure you use a lot of quotes and link them back to the question; analyse what Steinbeck has said about each character with the language without actually spelling it out.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by German123)
    Any advice?
    The most important thing for a question like this is to link it to social and historical context. Talk about how candy is old, therefore deemed unuseful and crooks is black, which then was a big deal then, obviousy it was a racist sociey back then and there are a lot quotes to support this. Even Curley's wife talk down him (she isn't even given a name).

ReputationRep:
    It's probably good to note that he is usually referred to by colour, as opposed to by name, which separates him from the other characters and, to an extent, de-humanises him.

Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by shrn)
    Yeah you should google on some character comparison essays on google, I can't find an specific ones now but I did that for the whole of my GCSE course, I got C/D grades throughout the year and when i started reading essays online I rose up to an A* for my finals
    Where did you find the essays?

ReputationRep:
    You should make a LOA (line of argument), then structure ur whole essay around this thesis.
    Things to mentioned in pursuit of argument: social and historical context (I.e. the novella was set at the time of the Great Depression, which led to the shortage of jobs and this links to why Candy and Crooks are presented as expandable - because in a world where its 'survival of the fittest' Candy and Crooks lose out because one's black, and the other's viewed as an one-handed old cripple), themes and ideas presented in OMAM, obviously quotes to back up ur argument, a good character analysis of ur main characters (which u can find on a number of sites, but I used Sparknotes when I did mine) etc. Also don't just focus on those specific characters - think about how OTHER characters in the novella affect Candy and Crooks and how they act towards them, because u could even argue that Steinbeck uses other characters in OMAM to show the inferiority of C&C.

I would go on, but I'm afraid I'm rambling, so I'll stop now 😄

Posted from TSR Mobile

University open days

• University of Buckingham
    Psychology Taster Tutorial Undergraduate
    Fri, 14 Dec '18
  • University of Lincoln
    Mini Open Day at the Brayford Campus Undergraduate
    Wed, 19 Dec '18
  • University of East Anglia
    UEA Mini Open Day Undergraduate
    Fri, 4 Jan '19
Poll
Were you ever put in isolation at school?
Useful resources

Study tools

Rosette

Essay expert

Learn to write like a pro with our ultimate essay guide.

Thinking about uni already?

Thinking about uni already?

See where you can apply with our uni match tool

Student chat

Ask a question

Chat to other GCSE students and get your study questions answered.

Creating

Make study resources

Create all the resources you need to get the grades.

Planner

Create your own Study Plan

Organise all your homework and exams so you never miss another deadline.

Resources by subject

From flashcards to mind maps; there's everything you need for all of your GCSE subjects.

Papers

Find past papers

100s of GCSE past papers for all your subjects at your fingertips.

Help out other students

Can you help? Study help unanswered threads

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.