aydenn
Badges: 0
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 7 years ago
Hello everyone, hoping to get some advice here. I'm currently finishing my Economics undergrad and thinking about continuing my studies & enrolling into a masters program. Right now I'm deciding between Finance and Economics & management in arts, culture & entertainment at Bocconi. The thing is I'm genuinly interested in fashion/fashion industry, I enjoy watching catwalks, I know the industry really goodm stuff like what company holds which brands, the major retailers, the designers & CEO's, moreover I can appreciate what the designers do and how the companies promote it. I also really like the creative component to the marketing jobs. That's why I'm considering ACME with a minor in Fashion. According to the program's page, graduates are recruited as marketing managers/brand-managers by major players in luxury/fashion industry. But I have a few doubts here:
1) What's working in marketing really like? Esp in fashion industry. What are the hours, salaries, prospects? I'm asking bc I've never really held an internship in marketing and haven't taken it as an elecive either.
2) I know that's kind of a stupid question but how would you compare the career after MS in Finance with a career in Marketing? The thing is I'm really prepared for the Finance route. I've studied calculus, accounting, micro/macro, financial markets/institutions, corp fin and in fact I'm minoring in Risk Management right now. I know it well but I can't say that I really enjoy it. On the other hand doing some complex stuff like calculus, econometrics etc. for 4 years and than going for marketing seems a bit like giving up to me.
3) What are the job prospects for this degree? It's all good about liking what you are doing and enjoying your studies but: I'm eastern european. My goal for the next 5 years is basically secure a job in London, that's it. I know that after Bocconi MS in Finance I'm likely to get an internship at an IB in London and the rest is up to me, so that's a clear route. What's up with ACME international graduates? It just feels like getting ACME Ms is a bit like getting a Liberal Arts degree to me. Sure you can get a job but not in London and for 1/4 the pay.
I would really appreciate any comments/advice/thoughts on the topic.
Joe955
Badges: 6
Rep:
?
Report 7 years ago
I don't really know how to answer your question..Obviously you're going to get more jobs with a Msc in Finance, since the fashion industry is going through a crisis right now! What I recommend you is to study at Bocconi, since it is an amazing university, ranked worlwide as one of the best universities in Europe! Then again, if you love fashion there's no better city than Milan. Italy is full of art & fashion everywhere and Milan is the capital city of fashion. You'll come across designers, brand managers and probably if you want to work in fashion, you have more possibilities in Milan than London!
Savannah14
Rep:
?
Report 7 years ago
Hi! I just applied for the ACME program, so I'll find out if I'm admitted in a few weeks time. My background is quite similar, as I have a great interest and passion for the fashion & design industry. Last year I went on exchange to Bocconi and had the best time there. The classes (both finance/fashion management) were really good, enthusiastic professors and lots of practical cases and guest lectures. Especially for the fashion and design related courses, those guest lectures were lots of fun (managers from Armani, Gucci, etc). However, Bocconi has an excellent reputation in both fields, so whatever you decide I'm sure you'll end up fine (career-wise).
This year I'm doing a one-year master program at my home university (Erasmus in Rotterdam) in Finance, so I'm hoping to continue my studies and do a second master at Bocconi next year. This way, I'll have both the finance skills and the possibility to pursue what I'm really passionate about; fashion & design. Needless to say, in my Finance course there are also plenty of topics which are also relevant for the fashion & design sector, such as strategic management and corporate valuation. In Bocconi, I actually had to do a valuation of the Gucci business as a group assignment. It just goes to show that in Milan (and Bocconi) that sector is simply very relevant, so whatever you choose to do, there will always be a possibility to incorporate your interest in fashion in your education.
That having said, both programs are not preparing you for very specific careers. I know that someone from the ACME program joined BCG upon graduation. Also, you can choose your electives wisely, as you can choose from courses from all master programs. So you might do the master in Finance with fashion & design electives, combining the best of both.
Anyway, good luck with your decision!
aydenn
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 7 years ago
(Original post by Savannah14)
Hi! I just applied for the ACME program, so I'll find out if I'm admitted in a few weeks time. My background is quite similar, as I have a great interest and passion for the fashion & design industry. Last year I went on exchange to Bocconi and had the best time there. The classes (both finance/fashion management) were really good, enthusiastic professors and lots of practical cases and guest lectures. Especially for the fashion and design related courses, those guest lectures were lots of fun (managers from Armani, Gucci, etc). However, Bocconi has an excellent reputation in both fields, so whatever you decide I'm sure you'll end up fine (career-wise).
This year I'm doing a one-year master program at my home university (Erasmus in Rotterdam) in Finance, so I'm hoping to continue my studies and do a second master at Bocconi next year. This way, I'll have both the finance skills and the possibility to pursue what I'm really passionate about; fashion & design. Needless to say, in my Finance course there are also plenty of topics which are also relevant for the fashion & design sector, such as strategic management and corporate valuation. In Bocconi, I actually had to do a valuation of the Gucci business as a group assignment. It just goes to show that in Milan (and Bocconi) that sector is simply very relevant, so whatever you choose to do, there will always be a possibility to incorporate your interest in fashion in your education.
That having said, both programs are not preparing you for very specific careers. I know that someone from the ACME program joined BCG upon graduation. Also, you can choose your electives wisely, as you can choose from courses from all master programs. So you might do the master in Finance with fashion & design electives, combining the best of both.
Anyway, good luck with your decision!
Thank you very much for an extensive reply, now I'm sure I'll go with ACME. Good luck with your admittence! I'll send my application early in march.
drew19
Rep:
?
Report 7 years ago
Good advices so far. I would also like to add that doing ACME could probably give you more chances for the exchange program in a good school (with the Finance program being extremely tough but well respected by employers).
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

Feeling behind at school/college? What is the best thing your teachers could to help you catch up?

Extra compulsory independent learning activities (eg, homework tasks) (3)
3.75%
Run extra compulsory lessons or workshops (11)
13.75%
Focus on making the normal lesson time with them as high quality as possible (14)
17.5%
Focus on making the normal learning resources as high quality/accessible as possible (9)
11.25%
Provide extra optional activities, lessons and/or workshops (29)
36.25%
Assess students, decide who needs extra support and focus on these students (14)
17.5%

Watched Threads