Can't decide my choices for a level?!

Watch
ggz95
Badges: 0
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 6 years ago
I really cant decide what to choose! I'm more inclined towards essay based subjects:
English lit (almost definite)
Gov&Pol (almost definite)
and then two out of
Philosophy (Or RS - I didnt do the GCSE but have been told I can take it if I want)
Economics
History (Modern or Early modern?!)

I'm predicted good grades in all my GCSEs, and want to maybe go into law. Obviously I'd have to go to a good uni, which of these will give me the best chance?
Катя
Badges: 18
Rep:
?
Report 6 years ago
If you want to go to a good university to do law, then definitely do English lit and History as they are facilitating subjects. Politics, Philosophy and Economics are seen as "softer" choices, as they aren't up there with the 'traditional' subjects (although Trinity College cambridge favour econ + RS over politics).
ggz95
Rep:
?
How many of your a levels are supposed to be facilitating, out of interest??
dlaiden
Badges: 11
Rep:
?
Report 6 years ago
(Original post by Катя)
If you want to go to a good university to do law, then definitely do English lit and History as they are facilitating subjects. Politics, Philosophy and Economics are seen as "softer" choices, as they aren't up there with the 'traditional' subjects (although Trinity College cambridge favour econ + RS over politics).
I'd just like to disagree about Philosophy being a soft subject; it isn't at all. It is actually a facilitating one, it's just not a very common choice. AQA Philosophy is facilitating and very traditional considering it led to the establishment of most traditional subjects today. The 'soft' philosophy subject is Philosophy and Ethics, which is quite similar to RS.

To the OP, I would definitely advise you to take English and History, and I'd advise you to take Philosophy if it is the AQA version; the Ethics course of (I think) OCR is not facilitating. That being said, as long as you have two facilitating subjects there's no harm in taking soft/less traditional subjects when applying to unis with high entry requirements (if that's your wish) provided you only carry on one to A2.

Posted from TSR Mobile
Катя
Rep:
?
Report 6 years ago
(Original post by ggz95)
How many of your a levels are supposed to be facilitating, out of interest??
Depends where you're applying. If you're going for a top 5 uni then preferably all of them. Cambridge ask for at least 2. Sheffield ask for at least 2, but their list of "acceptable" subjects is a LOT bigger than the Cambridge one. (for instance it includes english language and drama and psychology and such)

If what's most important to you is a very strong uni application for law, then in an ideal world you'd do english, history, maths and a language, get 4 As at AS with average UMS of over 93, and then be predicted A*AA minimum. + relevant work experience, a glowing reference and a strong PS.

My advice would be to try to compromise between that and what you genuinely want to do, so you end up with a strong application to a good uni and you don't want to kill yourself in the process. You said politics is an almost definite, then yes, do that + English, but also I'd really strongly suggest history to even out the balance. For your 4th I'd say economics purely because it's nice to have a bit of a mix between the more numerate subjects and the essay-writing subjects, but by all means do RS if you strongly prefer that to econ.

But seriously, English and history.
Катя
Rep:
?
Report 6 years ago
(Original post by dlaiden)
I'd just like to disagree about Philosophy being a soft subject; it isn't at all. It is actually a facilitating one, it's just not a very common choice. AQA Philosophy is facilitating and very traditional considering it led to the establishment of most traditional subjects today. The 'soft' philosophy subject is Philosophy and Ethics, which is quite similar to RS.

To the OP, I would definitely advise you to take English and History, and I'd advise you to take Philosophy if it is the AQA version; the Ethics course of (I think) OCR is not facilitating. That being said, as long as you have two facilitating subjects there's no harm in taking soft/less traditional subjects when applying to unis with high entry requirements (if that's your wish) provided you only carry on one to A2.
Oh yes, of course, I should have specified; AQA philosophy is different to (and better than, IMO) Philosophy and ethics / RS. It honestly is insanely interesting, and I say this as someone who hasn't even done the course but has just read the textbooks (for both the AQA philosophy and the ethics / RS ones).

OP do you know which exam boards you'll be working with?
ggz95
Rep:
?
I presume it will be AQA philosophy
Also, I'm doing additional maths; does that make doing maths less important (for me maths is like having teeth pulled out, i cant stand it, but i can do it)
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

Are you travelling in the Uni student travel window (3-9 Dec) to go home for Christmas?

Yes (44)
32.12%
No - I have already returned home (17)
12.41%
No - I plan on travelling outside these dates (27)
19.71%
No - I'm staying at my term time address over Christmas (11)
8.03%
No - I live at home during term anyway (38)
27.74%

Watched Threads