The Student Room Group

The World and Cultural Diversity, Edexcel, Geography Unit 4

Scroll to see replies

Reply 220
Original post by Christyjanexx
How did everyone find it? I was not expecting that question AT ALL. As soon as I turned the paper over I just muttered "****" and the guy in front of me started laughing 🙈

Posted from TSR Mobile

I was like that for one second, but quickly realised it was physical
my prob was I ran out of time- my analysis was rushed and my conclusion was one b rushed paragraph
I don't think I mentioned my QUESTION IN THE EXAM ENOUGH EITHER
That question was horrible. If you look at previous steers then the exam question they're very similar but our steer and our question have no similar words... Of course geographically isolated is physical but if you hadn't prepared an example on that you'd be a little bit ****ed for it. I think I still did ok, I just feel like edexcel have really let us down with that question..
FAILED THAT HARD.

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 223
Original post by caileighm
That question was horrible. If you look at previous steers then the exam question they're very similar but our steer and our question have no similar words... Of course geographically isolated is physical but if you hadn't prepared an example on that you'd be a little bit ****ed for it. I think I still did ok, I just feel like edexcel have really let us down with that question..

The pre release gives you an idea about the question, I think the question was fine it wasn't going to be too obvious, it was meant to challenge you
It was answerable, I think more time is needed in the exam- another 15 minutes minimum...or why not let unit 4 be coursework?!
What factors did everyone talk about??
I talked about geographical isolation obviously, globalisation and government control!

Posted from TSR Mobile
The other guy in my class did tectonics, and he said the question was pretty similar to the pre-release 😭

I used Iceland as my main case study, but I leant more towards isolated location becoming less and less influential on lack of CD bc of globalisation etc and also about N Korea, whilst not being geographically isolated, is socially isolated due to gov. control blah blah blah

Posted from TSR Mobile
I'm sure we all did well, but even talking to my teachers they did not expect a question like that - if you look at all the predicted questions not one was that specific.
Does everyone have any more exams?
Reply 227
I'm sure we all did well, but even talking to my teachers they did not expect a question like that - if you look at all the predicted questions not one was that specific.

'geographical isolation' is just another word for physical barriers
Its not too bad
Hopefully the exam boundaries will be low
Reply 228
I talked about physical barriers e.g. Mountains and rivers
U talked about how climate change is impacting diversity levels
Finally immigration policies influencing the global flow of migrants
My conclusion was :/ literally a 3 min answer
And I should have made more reference to the question!
Original post by M-Dog

How does that have anything to do with isolation?

Posted from TSR Mobile
G
Original post by M-Dog

but it said geographical isolation... i wouldn't consider those things isolation but i could be wrong.
I spoke about Japan and Uk (contrast) being island nations but having very different levels of cultural diversity.
i mentioned North Korea being politically isolated and low CD.
and finally spoke about India's different climate zones and cultural groups to bring in a different physical example.
Reply 231
G

but it said geographical isolation... i wouldn't consider those things isolation but i could be wrong.
I spoke about Japan and Uk (contrast) being island nations but having very different levels of cultural diversity.
i mentioned North Korea being politically isolated and low CD.
and finally spoke about India's different climate zones and cultural groups to bring in a different physical example.

Because it said ' to what extent is it true' so you present the argument for and against
I did a Venn diagram in my introduction presenting the factors which influence cultural diversity levels which were physical, human and both seen in climate change
My argument for was physical barriers in brazil, brief mention of Kurdistan and lack of barriers in Ukraine
Climate change: Alaska and Bedouin tribe
Immigration policy as human- uk and Japan (stated they were islands)
Did I mess up? I'm questioning now....
Original post by M-Dog
Because it said ' to what extent is it true' so you present the argument for and against
I did a Venn diagram in my introduction presenting the factors which influence cultural diversity levels which were physical, human and both seen in climate change
My argument for was physical barriers in brazil, brief mention of Kurdistan and lack of barriers in Ukraine
Climate change: Alaska and Bedouin tribe
Immigration policy as human- uk and Japan (stated they were islands)
Did I mess up? I'm questioning now....

I think that sounds like a really solid answer now you've mentioned your case studies. don't worry at all :smile: sounds like you definitely knew what you were talking about! The examiner will see that you know your content and understand the topic.. thats what really matters
I did Iceland as for geographical isolation and as against:
Globalisation - Bhutan
Government control - North Korea

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 234
I think that sounds like a really solid answer now you've mentioned your case studies. don't worry at all :smile: sounds like you definitely knew what you were talking about! The examiner will see that you know your content and understand the topic.. thats what really matters

I'm questioning now! I'm becoming crazy paranoid esp because I didn't mention the Q much in the analysis and analysis was really brief and the conclusion was basically non existent
What was your approach?
Original post by M-Dog
I'm questioning now! I'm becoming crazy paranoid esp because I didn't mention the Q much in the analysis and analysis was really brief and the conclusion was basically non existent
What was your approach?

theres no point even worrying about it! you can't change it :smile:

I looked at Japan as physically isolated and very little cultural diversity so supporting the Q but then said that right now human factors (government and nationalism) and more important to prevent diversity. Then compared it to the UK which has high diversity to further suggest that diversity is less to do with isolation and more to do with human.
I then mentioned India's isolated groups - saying that isolation has created cultural diversity rather than hindered it.
then mentioned North Korea to say tht they're not geographically isolated but still no diversity.
concluded that human factors were more important basically.
I just feel sorry for those people who didn't even prepare geographical isolation as one of their factors!!

Posted from TSR Mobile

last day of exams, im freeeeeeeeeeeeeee :biggrin:

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending