whats the hardest part of spanish A level?

Watch
Bobjim12
Badges: 20
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 7 years ago
hi, i want to do Spanish A level.

i have looked at some past papers and i could decipher some bits, it was difficult purely because i didn't know key vocabulary.

i see they make it harder by putting the question in Spanish as well, makes sense.

but how difficult is the listening section of the exam? do they choose fast speaking people with thick accents? or is the reading generally harder. or is one prone to writer's block at that area of the exam?
Covington4
Badges: 19
Rep:
?
Report 7 years ago
I heard in a level Spanish you have a recording of the Spanish people speaking for the listening and can rewind an forward the recording, how true that is I don't know lol. I was thinking about choosing Spanish too! What is ur current gcse grade?

Posted from TSR Mobile
Bobjim12
Rep:
?
(Original post by Ben4)
I heard in a level Spanish you have a recording of the Spanish people speaking for the listening and can rewind an forward the recording, how true that is I don't know lol. I was thinking about choosing Spanish too! What is ur current gcse grade?

Posted from TSR Mobile
A* overall, you? where did you hear that? that seems too easy!
Covington4
Rep:
?
Report 7 years ago
(Original post by Bobjim12)
A* overall, you? where did you hear that? that seems too easy!
Just saw it on a thread I don't know if it's true and wow nice you must be really good at it!

Posted from TSR Mobile
Bobjim12
Rep:
?
(Original post by Ben4)
Just saw it on a thread I don't know if it's true and wow nice you must be really good at it!

Posted from TSR Mobile
Its more that i enjoy it which i think has really helped. I among only about another 9 in a class of 30 are working above a D. People just don't care.

Sent from my Nokia 3310 #retro
Covington4
Rep:
?
Report 7 years ago
(Original post by Bobjim12)
Its more that i enjoy it which i think has really helped. I among only about another 9 in a class of 30 are working above a D. People just don't care.

Sent from my Nokia 3310 #retro
I know right, everyone in my school hates Spanish. If I ever say that I am considering taking it they will probably shout at me.

Posted from TSR Mobile
Bobjim12
Rep:
?
(Original post by Ben4)
I know right, everyone in my school hates Spanish. If I ever say that I am considering taking it they will probably shout at me.

Posted from TSR Mobile
Everyone, whenever i say i'm taking A level spanish they just laugh.

Let me tell you some stories from my class:

1. Basically this really dumb girl, was working towards an E, but is now gone because she's doing terrible in English as well. She asked my teacher why people speak different languages, and instead why doesn't everyone speak english... Logically a single language would make sense, but asking her just shows her ignorance as it has a very obvious answer...

2. People don't get verb conjugations!!! Like hablo, hablas, habla, hablamos... People just cant comprehend it (except about 10 of us).

I don't get why so many people struggle to learn a language..

Sent from my camel using Etihad desertways
CalmDownBambi
Badges: 1
Rep:
?
Report 7 years ago
I'm currently studying A2 Spanish and it is INCREDIBLY difficult. It is the most time consuming subject by far, ridiculous amount of work is required to get a decent grade. The most difficult part isn't conjugating verbs, it's knowing which tense to use and finding ways to squeeze 17629321 different idiomatic sentence structures into essays on topic that are hard to discuss in ENGLISH! Never mind Spanish. I didn't ever have to work or put effort in at GCSE I cruised through doing barely anything and still managed an A, the leap to A Level is huge.
If you have any more questions feel free to ask!

Posted from TSR Mobile
CalmDownBambi
Rep:
?
Report 7 years ago
Also, the recording thing is true, you can rewind etc but it doesn't make it any easier because the questions are so tricky...

Posted from TSR Mobile
Bobjim12
Rep:
?
(Original post by CalmDownBambi)
I'm currently studying A2 Spanish and it is INCREDIBLY difficult. It is the most time consuming subject by far, ridiculous amount of work is required to get a decent grade. The most difficult part isn't conjugating verbs, it's knowing which tense to use and finding ways to squeeze 17629321 different idiomatic sentence structures into essays on topic that are hard to discuss in ENGLISH! Never mind Spanish. I didn't ever have to work or put effort in at GCSE I cruised through doing barely anything and still managed an A, the leap to A Level is huge.
If you have any more questions feel free to ask!

Posted from TSR Mobile
but i assume the challenge makes it more enjoyable? instead of breezing throughout at GCSE? well thats how i fell atm atleast..

thats my weakness with idiomatic sentences, sometimes i write too literal.. suppose it just takes a little independent study and practice..

what are you working at now? or what did you get a AS? what was your opinion on AS in terms of difficulty and what made it difficult if so?
CalmDownBambi
Rep:
?
Report 7 years ago
Don't get me wrong! I LOVE Spanish! I'm doing it at Uni (up in St Andrew's). It sounds crazy but the most difficult section of the paper is the Gap Fill! It's so hard, my entire class flunked AS because of the fact we were taught the wrong topic for the wrong exam board!! I got a D (() but I'm resitting. I'm working at an B but on track for an A.
The essay topics are challenging, Gay Marriage/Adoption, The Benefits System, unemployment and drug abuse. It's challenging but interesting. When studying a play at A2 doing English Lit as well is SUCH an advantage. What other subjects are you taking?

Posted from TSR Mobile
Bobjim12
Rep:
?
Don't get me wrong! I LOVE Spanish! I'm doing it at Uni (up in St Andrew's). It sounds crazy but the most difficult section of the paper is the Gap Fill! It's so hard, my entire class flunked AS because of the fact we were taught the wrong topic for the wrong exam board!! I got a D (() but I'm resitting. I'm working at an B but on track for an A.
The essay topics are challenging, Gay Marriage/Adoption, The Benefits System, unemployment and drug abuse. It's challenging but interesting. When studying a play at A2 doing English Lit as well is SUCH an advantage. What other subjects are you taking?

Posted from TSR Mobile
Well its not definitely not going to be eng lit!

Hopefully maths and further, although it clashes with spanish so if i cant i'll choose physics.

I have considered spanish purely cause i think i am capable of getting minimum A, that will when applying for top unis (as i'll have to get an A* in maths anyway :/).

Is there an essay required per topic? And is that unplanned?

Sent from my camel using Etihad desertways
CalmDownBambi
Rep:
?
Report 7 years ago
Yeah, on the exam there will be an essay but it will be about a book or film. It's more like an exposé. It's only 400 words though. I did maths last year with Spanish. The problem is, there is so much work for both it's difficult to keep up!

Posted from TSR Mobile
Bobjim12
Rep:
?
Yeah, on the exam there will be an essay but it will be about a book or film. It's more like an exposé. It's only 400 words though. I did maths last year with Spanish. The problem is, there is so much work for both it's difficult to keep up!

Posted from TSR Mobile
Are they spanish films? Or popular films translated?

I have heard that they both are work-heavy, but i quite enjoy doing and learning spanish, so i see it as after tedious maths/physics work, i can enjoy some spanish!!
CalmDownBambi
Rep:
?
Report 7 years ago
You will learn to hate gap fills! They're Spanish films or books. This year we're doing a play: La Casa De Bernada Alba

Posted from TSR Mobile
Bobjim12
Rep:
?
You will learn to hate gap fills! They're Spanish films or books. This year we're doing a play: La Casa De Bernada Alba

Posted from TSR Mobile
why are they so bad? is that just you or? is it that they are too vague or what?

how large is your class?
hotliketea
Rep:
?
Report 7 years ago
i personally love spanish but i do put in a lot of extra work, more than i think everyone in my class , and i'm naturally good at speaking - i can speak as fast as natural speakers and i don't have to think beforehand, i speak like i speak english

i think it's worth the effort - you're learning another language, it's enjoyable.

i also love the exams :P 3 hours long and i can't wait
CalmDownBambi
Rep:
?
Report 7 years ago
The gap fills are pretty vague yeah. There are 7 people in my class

Posted from TSR Mobile
Alex2424
Badges: 8
Rep:
?
Report 7 years ago
I actually find it quite easy, much more so than politics, which is supposedly a soft subject. At the end of the day, do what you enjoy, because if you enjoy it you will find a way to get through. People's minds work in different ways; I could never have coped with science a levels but languages seem to come naturally to me. It also varies highly depending on your exam board

Posted from TSR Mobile
Bobjim12
Rep:
?
(Original post by Alex2424;+44 7867 302335 It also varies highly depending on your exam board

[SIZE=1
)

Posted from TSR Mobile[/SIZE]
What about AQA?
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

How would you feel if uni students needed to be double vaccinated to start in Autumn?

I'd feel reassured about my own health (27)
17.53%
I'd feel reassured my learning may be less disrupted by isolations/lockdowns (49)
31.82%
I'd feel less anxious about being around large groups (14)
9.09%
I don't mind if others are vaccinated or not (16)
10.39%
I'm concerned it may disadvantage some students (7)
4.55%
I think it's an unfair expectation (38)
24.68%
Something else (tell us in the thread) (3)
1.95%

Watched Threads