how easy is to get a B in english literature

Watch
Bobjim12
Badges: 20
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 6 years ago
for my exam, i'll be doing the woman in black and to kill a mockingbird. i hate reading so i i'm only going to skim read it.

i only want a B purely because i don't want to aim for a c and fail english literature if don't manage it (i'll try get an A in language or igcse).

are the grade boundaries generally high and are marks generally hard to come by?
jessx24601
Badges: 0
Rep:
?
Report 6 years ago
(Original post by Bobjim12)
for my exam, i'll be doing the woman in black and to kill a mockingbird. i hate reading so i i'm only going to skim read it.

i only want a B purely because i don't want to aim for a c and fail english literature if don't manage it (i'll try get an A in language or igcse).

are the grade boundaries generally high and are marks generally hard to come by?
I would seriously advise you to read the book, I get that you don't like reading but you need to be able to discuss specific language and social and historical context which means researching what life was like when the book was set. It might also be worth researching the author because a lot of the questions start with "How does the author represent/show/set the scene... etc
My mam didn't read the book and she only just got a C and that was with A coursework. That was a while ago and the grade boundries are a lot higher. If you can spell and your grammar and punctuation are good that will be really useful and you could probably get a D on that alone but literature is about the book and showing an overview so you do have to read the book. Or at least see the move of to kill a mocking bird. Don't just watch the film of the woman in black because they are very different!!! You would have to at least see the play or find someone doing the play but I would highly reccomend reading the books.
I've read to kill a mocking bird, it does drag a bit but once you get into it it is alright
No subject is easy you do need to put the work in to get the grade. There are few shortcuts sorry :/
Hope this helps (sorry I wrote loads haha) Jess xxx
mrmotivator2014
Badges: 0
Rep:
?
Report 6 years ago
Easier than getting a C let me tell you
brownbearxo
Badges: 14
Rep:
?
Report 6 years ago
I got an A in my exam and my coursework, and I didn't read one of the books as it was crap (Paradise Lost). Loved To Kill A Mockingbird though! It really depends. There was an option of answers on my paper (Edexcel or OCR, can't remember) so I simply ignored the Paradise Lost question.
ps1265A
Badges: 14
Rep:
?
Report 6 years ago
Personally, I think it's one of the hardest GCSE's. The papers are marked very strictly as it's essay based.

To get a B, I think skim reading won't be enough. You'll have to get to know the books well and be able to corroborate your ideas on the spot for both book paper and the poem paper.

But I see where your going with this. GCSE English Language is much more important, but at the end of the day, give it your all in all of your GCSEs.

If you need any help for the poem section, I'll be happy to help. I did Literature last year with AQA.
MidnightDream
Badges: 15
Rep:
?
Report 6 years ago
It's not hard and I didn't read any of my books 'Lord of the Flies' and 'To Kill a Mockingbird' properly because I found them so boring. I just skimmed for quotes and read the important summaries online and I got an A in both lang and lit
metzgie
Badges: 3
Rep:
?
Report 6 years ago
(Original post by Bobjim12)

From someone who studies at degree level Lit is a very hard subject. It's hard to get a B after hours and hours of revision of learning and that's after reading the book! If you want a B you should sit down and try and read them. There are also some really good revision guides out there that can make it easier to remember especially when it gets boring!

Hope this helps!
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

What are you most likely to do if you don't get the grades you were expecting?

Go through Clearing (191)
38.74%
Take autumn exams (151)
30.63%
Look for a job (17)
3.45%
Consider an apprenticeship (21)
4.26%
Take a year out (85)
17.24%
Something else (let us know in the thread!) (28)
5.68%

Watched Threads