The Student Room Group

Stats q

Stuck on both.
2b shpuld I include the x equalling infinity? Its not really possible but didnt know what to write.

What do I do on 3? I just took a guess with my working

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by cooldudeman
Stuck on both.
2b shpuld I include the x equalling infinity? Its not really possible but didnt know what to write.

It's a cdf, so lim as x goes to infinity is always 1.

You have a bigger problem. The cdf should never go down as x increases. Can you see what you've missed out?

For 3.

It would help to draw a diagram, with X1 and X2 being the axes. You want max(X1,X2} = Y,

Let Y equal any value and try plotting the valid region.
(edited 10 years ago)
Reply 2
Original post by ghostwalker
It's a cdf, so lim as x goes to infinity is always 1.

You have a bigger problem. The cdf should never go down as x increases. Can you see what you've missed out?

For 3.

It would help to draw a diagram, with X1 and X2 being the axes. You want max(X1,X2} = Y,

Let Y equal any value and try plotting the valid region.

For 2, I cant see. Was I.meant to integrate the -infin <x<0 part with limits x to 0? Instead of minus inf to x like I did.

For 3, I dont understand. I drew a diagram loke.you said. With (1,1) being the top right corner. Like a box of area 1. The pdf is just Y~U(0,1) isnt it. And for tje P (Y<=y) part, im lost.

Posted from TSR Mobile
For 2, I cant see. Was I.meant to integrate the -infin <x<0 part with limits x to 0? Instead of minus inf to x like I did.

No.

For parts x>0 you need to add in the intergral from -infinty to 0 to what you're already doing.

F(x) = integral from minus infinity to x.

For 3, I dont understand. I drew a diagram loke.you said. With (1,1) being the top right corner. Like a box of area 1. The pdf is just Y~U(0,1) isnt it. And for tje P (Y<=y) part, im lost.

Set Y to a specific value, say 1/2. Then what area in your diagram represent Y<1/2?

If Y < 1/2, then what are the possibilities of X1 and X2?
Reply 4
No.

For parts x>0 you need to add in the intergral from -infinty to 0 to what you're already doing.

F(x) = integral from minus infinity to x.

Set Y to a specific value, say 1/2. Then what area in your diagram represent Y<1/2?

If Y < 1/2, then what are the possibilities of X1 and X2?

Really confused with 2. You mean like this?

Posted from TSR Mobile
Really confused with 2. You mean like this?

Posted from TSR Mobile

Ish.

F(s)=sf(x)  dx\displaystyle F(s) = \int_{-\infty}^s f(x)\;dx

But because f(x) is defined in two pieces; if s is greater than zero, then, this works out to be:

F(s)=0cex  dx+0scex  dx\displaystyle F(s) = \int_{-\infty}^0 ce^x\;dx+\int^{s}_0ce^{-x}\;dx
Reply 6
Ish.

F(s)=sf(x)  dx\displaystyle F(s) = \int_{-\infty}^s f(x)\;dx

But because f(x) is defined in two pieces; if s is greater than zero, then, this works out to be:

F(s)=0cex  dx+0scex  dx\displaystyle F(s) = \int_{-\infty}^0 ce^x\;dx+\int^{s}_0ce^{-x}\;dx

Can ypu explain how you figured that out? So I know that the cdf should always be increasing with x increasing.
And this pdf graph looked like a symmetrical exp graph. How did you know to chamge the limits like that

Posted from TSR Mobile
Can ypu explain how you figured that out? So I know that the cdf should always be increasing with x increasing.
And this pdf graph looked like a symmetrical exp graph. How did you know to chamge the limits like that

Posted from TSR Mobile

The cdf can never be decreasing as the pdf (f(x) can never be negative. The cdf can be constant in part.

This is just the integral of f(x) from -infinity to s. It's split into two because f(x) is defined differently on the two intevals.

Quick Reply

Latest