The Student Room Group

TSR Malaysian Society

Scroll to see replies

Reply 4000
Original post by justinawe
Also, a quick question... is it true that AS Level maths is quite similar to add maths?

Yes. :P
I did Add Maths in Year 10 and then I moved to UK and started AS level (yes, I skipped Year 11) and found that AS maths is a lot like Add Maths.
Reply 4001
Original post by Nicholasng925
Human Biology? :eek: Sounds cool haha! :biggrin:

Indeed. :P
Am I part of the minority of Malaysians who is not doing a math-ish or a sciency degree but rather a social science one? :tongue: Most of my college friends who are going to UK are going into either science or maths courses.
This is pretty much the main reason why I'm aiming to do MORSE at Warwick... I was looking at doing Actuarial Science for quite a while, but I was worried about what alternative options I would have with an Actuarial Science degree. I still want to be an actuary though, but I think with MORSE or something more flexible, I'll have better career options :smile:

Also, a quick question... is it true that AS Level maths is quite similar to add maths?

Yesterday I was talking to one of my church members after Easter service, who is so happened to be a qualified actuary working in Bank Negara (my future working place). He told me if you do Actuarial Science, you do not have to be worried that you will be constrained with restrictive career as you would these 3 major advantages, as an actuary.

Firstly, you have the technical skills. Secondly, you will be able to approach complex problems by thinking rigorously (although that means you never encountered the problem before but you will know where to start). Thirdly, you will be able to communicate well with people, to explain very technical actuarial premiums and work to non-actuarial people. Therefore Actuarial Science is a very flexible course that can lead you to any financial career should you want to change line.
I am going to Borneo soon (Malaysian part) but I am fully English.....
Yesterday I was talking to one of my church members after Easter service, who is so happened to be a qualified actuary working in Bank Negara (my future working place). He told me if you do Actuarial Science, you do not have to be worried that you will be constrained with restrictive career as you would these 3 major advantages, as an actuary.

Firstly, you have the technical skills. Secondly, you will be able to approach complex problems by thinking rigorously (although that means you never encountered the problem before but you will know where to start). Thirdly, you will be able to communicate well with people, to explain very technical actuarial premiums and work to non-actuarial people. Therefore Actuarial Science is a very flexible course that can lead you to any financial career should you want to change line.

That's quite interesting...

What do you think is the best university for Actuarial Science in the UK? Or the one with the best reputation at least?
That's quite interesting...

What do you think is the best university for Actuarial Science in the UK? Or the one with the best reputation at least?

Yes indeed it is! I think Cass Business School (City University London) is one of the best universities for Actuarial Science in the UK, aside from Heriot-Watt University. Cass is the first university in England to offer Actuarial Science degree, and Heriot-Watt University (Scotland) is the first university in the UK to offer Actuarial Science degree. Both provides maximum number of 8 papers exemption from the professional actuarial papers set by The Institute and Faculty of Actuaries UK.

I think Cass is a better option simply because its reputation as one of the top 5 business schools in the UK, and its strategic location in the central London, one of the biggest financial markets in the world. :smile:
Reply 4007
Hello there!

So, I've got a funny story and a question for you. It'd be amazing if you could help me! Our tutor in Ancient Greek and Latin is from Spain and grew up with 222 biscuits (http://www.pekanbuku.net/components/com_virtuemart/shop_image/product/Soo_Good_222_Ori_4e57353384507.jpg). Apparently they only still exist in Malaysia! Now his 50th birthday is coming up, and we'd like to get these biscuits for him. Do you have any idea how we can get hold of some?

Thank you incredibly much if you can help! :smile:
Original post by Sappho
Hello there!

So, I've got a funny story and a question for you. It'd be amazing if you could help me! Our tutor in Ancient Greek and Latin is from Spain and grew up with 222 biscuits (http://www.pekanbuku.net/components/com_virtuemart/shop_image/product/Soo_Good_222_Ori_4e57353384507.jpg). Apparently they only still exist in Malaysia! Now his 50th birthday is coming up, and we'd like to get these biscuits for him. Do you have any idea how we can get hold of some?

Thank you incredibly much if you can help! :smile:

They only have these in Malaysia? I know you can get these at pretty much any supermarket here... not sure if these exact "222" biscuits are available, they might have different names for them, but they look/taste the same.

If they do only exist in Malaysia though, I can't really offer any suggestions unless you're actually willing to fly here just to get these biscuits... lol.
LOL, you Malays and your religious hatred.
Reply 4010
They only have these in Malaysia? I know you can get these at pretty much any supermarket here... not sure if these exact "222" biscuits are available, they might have different names for them, but they look/taste the same.

If they do only exist in Malaysia though, I can't really offer any suggestions unless you're actually willing to fly here just to get these biscuits... lol.

Yes, it wuld have to be the 222 cookies, as it's not really about the cookies but about the gesture of getting him what he remembers from his childhood in Spain.

Is there anyone in Malaysia right now who could send us some cookies in the post? We would send you a package with British goodies in exchange!!!
I'm not really concerned about reputation as I've already secured a job upon graduation. I'm currently sponsored by Bank Negara Malaysia (Central Bank of Malaysia), so I'm bonded with them. I don't know whether Actuarial Science is my cup of tea although I know quite a lot about it. But acknowledging that I'm still doing my A-Levels, I wouldn't know the truth until I actually started the course.

I have other career paths in mind besides Actuarial Science, so I think Warwick might give me such advantage with its MORSE degree as I would be able to take more optional modules and learn more things, broaden my career opportunities. What say you?

If this is the case then MORSE is probably the better option for you. Though I never liked the course because I thought it is too broad. Then again, it is probably good for job applicants to have a wide range of knowledge these days. Also, one must remember that exemptions are not all the crucial for one to become an actuary. Mostly important, he/she needs to display they skills an actuary require. In fact, some employers would prefer their trainees not have too many exemptions on the basis that they might have forgotten some of the material.
Original post by studyboy
If this is the case then MORSE is probably the better option for you. Though I never liked the course because I thought it is too broad. Then again, it is probably good for job applicants to have a wide range of knowledge these days. Also, one must remember that exemptions are not all the crucial for one to become an actuary. Mostly important, he/she needs to display they skills an actuary require. In fact, some employers would prefer their trainees not have too many exemptions on the basis that they might have forgotten some of the material.

I've decided on my firm and insurance, and none of this is MORSE. I've contemplated over and over again for quite some time and I've written a few posts in my blog regarding this dilemma. Now that I've decided on my firm and insurance, and I'm going to firm Cass and insurance be Heriot-Watt. (: I will pm you my blog link and you may read if you want. :smile:
Reply 4013
Hi ! I'm from Malaysia too ! Have been around London for about 3 months. I would really love to meet new people and so sorry if my post pop out of no way because there's like 200+ pages for me to read from post 1. Sorry I don't have the patient at all.

Also, i'm looking for a place to move, any idea where I could find comfortable place to move ? My only restriction is cheap accommodation, i'm a poor student. :frown:
Original post by purpliie
Hi ! I'm from Malaysia too ! Have been around London for about 3 months. I would really love to meet new people and so sorry if my post pop out of no way because there's like 200+ pages for me to read from post 1. Sorry I don't have the patient at all.

Also, i'm looking for a place to move, any idea where I could find comfortable place to move ? My only restriction is cheap accommodation, i'm a poor student. :frown:

Hello! Welcome to the Malaysian thread! :tongue: It's okay, I doubt anyone would spend their precious time reading every post starting from post 1! I myself didn't.
Reply 4015
Hello! Welcome to the Malaysian thread! :tongue: It's okay, I doubt anyone would spend their precious time reading every post starting from post 1! I myself didn't.

Thanks ! so, which part of UK are you in right now ?
Thanks ! so, which part of UK are you in right now ?

Still stuck in Malaysia haha! I'm going to fly to UK (probably London) this coming September after my A-Levels. Still doing my A-Levels now, in my final semester. (:
Reply 4017
Oh ! Well, good luck ! I hope you managed to find your way to London. It's a wonderful place to be. :smile:
Oh ! Well, good luck ! I hope you managed to find your way to London. It's a wonderful place to be. :smile:

Hahaha sure do! Thanks by the way! What are you doing now in London? Studying? Which university and what course? :smile:
Reply 4019
yup ! I'm studying in London at the moment in University of East London. I'm currently pursuing MSc Molecular Medical Microbiollogy. LOL !!

What bout you ? What are you going to study in London ?

Quick Reply