The Student Room Group

Is applying through extra too much of a risk?

I applied for law at QMUL, Exeter, Bristol, Warwick and KCL

So far I'm not massively impressed with the two unis I have offers from (QMUL, Exeter)

I didn't perform amazingly in the LNAT. With a score of 20 I'm not sure how great my chances are with Bristol, KCL. And I'm anxious to hear back from Warwick

However, if I don't get any more offers I'm considering pulling out all together of the application I have right now and starting again on extra with an English degree application at some higher ranked unis (considering statistically their entry requirements are lower for English than for law)

I'm not going to bore you with my reasons for why I want to study law and perhaps English but I do want to stress that I HAVE reasons before anyone tells me I'm being careless. However, I really do want to get offers from some more highly ranked unis... KCL or even UCL? Do these universities ever put themselves on "extra " ?

Thanks
Reply 1
Original post by mgarta11

So far I'm not massively impressed with the two unis I have offers from (QMUL, Exeter)

I didn't perform amazingly in the LNAT. With a score of 20 I'm not sure how great my chances are with Bristol, KCL. And I'm anxious to hear back from Warwick

However, if I don't get any more offers I'm considering pulling out all together of the application I have right now and starting again on extra with an English degree application at some higher ranked unis (considering statistically their entry requirements are lower for English than for law)

I'm not going to bore you with my reasons for why I want to study law and perhaps English but I do want to stress that I HAVE reasons before anyone tells me I'm being careless. However, I really do want to get offers from some more highly ranked unis... KCL or even UCL? Do these universities ever put themselves on "extra " ?

Thanks

Some top universities do not participate in extra, clearing or adjustment. UCL officially says no. KCL, Warwick & Bristol, however, do take part but only a few places are available. Extremely competitive courses like English or Law are usually full.
Reply 2
Original post by mgarta11

Thanks

Don't worry about your LNAT score in regards to Bristol. They have accepted many people with below average score. They are nowhere near as strict as Oxford, UCL and the like. KCL are a bit fussier, but a score of 20 is nothing to be sneered at. Warwick is out of the question, for obvious reasons.

Extra can be a bit hit and miss. As long as you've put forward an OK personal statement and have reasonable AS results, you should expect an offer from Bristol. Warwick and KCL are a little different in that they seem to be a little more competitive.

I wouldn't worry about extra until you have heard back from everyone (which should be soon.) Obviously, it is good to consider a contingency plan - but I'll warn now that Extra isn't as fruitful as one would expect.
(edited 10 years ago)
Reply 3
Thanks a lot

Both really informed replies that have definitely put things in perspective for me
In all honesty I don't think you'll get a place to study English at a top uni through extra, but wait til extra opens and see which unis have spaces for English before you decline your law offers.
Reply 5
Fair advice thanks a lot
Remember that going through Extra means using the same PS, so those unis would see a PS for a law degree, which may well affect their decision. Unis may accept new ones but they don't have to
(edited 10 years ago)
Unfortunately, the deadline for giving out offers is after the start of Extra. Usually the best courses in Extra will be filled pretty quickly, so you would probably have to make the decision to cancel your application before you get all your offers. Bristol in particular are known for giving out lots of offers towards the deadline.

As Interrobang said, universities will see you origionally applied for law. This may make them think you aren't commited to English as a subject.

English is a popular subject, so most top universities won't have spaces in Extra.

If you don't get the offers you want this year, but do get good A-level grades, you will probably have a much better chance of getting a space at a top university if you take a gap year and reapply.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending