What is the difference between the East Anglian Fens and the Somerset Levels...

Watch
WarriorInAWig
Badges: 15
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 6 years ago
with regards to coping with flooding?
nulli tertius
Badges: 21
Rep:
?
Report 6 years ago
(Original post by WarriorInAWig)
with regards to coping with flooding?

The relationship between the Environment Agency and the Internal Drainage Boards.

Compare the tone of:

http://www.somersetdrainageboards.go...els-telemetry/

with

http://www.blacksluiceidb.gov.uk/the...statement.html

Tell me, have you heard a peep out of the Axe Brue Internal Drainage Board during the recent flooding crisis?
WarriorInAWig
Rep:
?
The Boston link seems to have it's act together whereas the Somerset one was less watertight on details...
nulli tertius
Rep:
?
Report 6 years ago
The Boston link seems to have it's act together whereas the Somerset one was less watertight on details...
And the Boston one was running the show. It was clear that they regarded themselves as being in charge whereas the Somerset lot clearly regard themselves as having a minor role compared with the Environment Agency.
WarriorInAWig
Rep:
?
So would you say it's more of a management problem than the inherent capabilities of both areas to deal with such deluges?
nulli tertius
Rep:
?
Report 6 years ago
So would you say it's more of a management problem than the inherent capabilities of both areas to deal with such deluges?
These are entirely managed landscapes. Not a pint of water from Wicken Fen to the Isle of Axholme nor through the Somerset levels moves where God intended.

The levels of rainfall this year are high but not unprecedented. The Somerset farmers are clear that what has caused their flooding is the cessation of dredging.

Contrast that with the East Coast floods earlier in the winter. They were caused by a tidal surge which is the notorious killer; low pressure, a high spring tide and an onshore wind. The East Coast was better prepared this year than in 1953 when 300 died but London was saved by a fortuitous change of wind direction that condemned 1500 Dutchmen to their deaths.
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

Should there be a new university admissions system that ditches predicted grades?

No, I think predicted grades should still be used to make offers (674)
33.62%
Yes, I like the idea of applying to uni after I received my grades (PQA) (855)
42.64%
Yes, I like the idea of receiving offers only after I receive my grades (PQO) (385)
19.2%
I think there is a better option than the ones suggested (let us know in the thread!) (91)
4.54%

Watched Threads