The Student Room Group

I failed some of my AS levels...can I still go to uni?

Hi,

I have just started year 13 in New Zealand. Last year(year 12) I did quite well in my exams with my results being A* for English Lit, A for AS chemistry, biology and maths(all 90+). However in year 11, I took 3 AS levels which was a HUGE mistake as I was graded U's in AS maths, physics and a C in AS English Lit.
I have since done the maths over again(repeated the whole year) and got a much improved result. I am also retaking AS physics throughout this year (the whole year) with the exam at the end. So my questions are:

1. Would I have to declare my U's in the UCAS applications?
2. Do I have a shot at top English unis such as Cambridge...provided that my results end up looking something like A*A*A(with English for which I got 79.5/80 overall) or A*A*A*(with maths if I get 90+in all A levels)? I also do a lot of wider reading and co curricular.(I want to study psychology).
3. How much of your IGCSE grades affect your application? (I have 2 E's in IGCSE in art and graphics- just couldn't cope with the coursework...)

I am not trying to explain things here but the reason why I did so poorly in year 11 is because I feel like I was not mature enough to take on 3 AS levels at once and the work(with art and graphics) was just impossible. I am an extended student and when I got my results in early 2013, I was shocked and so were my teachers. Thanks in advance :smile:
(edited 10 years ago)
Reply 1
Original post by lustrepl
Hi,

I have just started year 13 in New Zealand. Last year(year 12) I did quite well in my exams with my results being A* for English Lit, A for AS chemistry, biology and maths(all 90+). However in year 11, I took 3 AS levels which was a HUGE mistake as I was graded U's in AS maths, physics and a C in AS English Lit.
I have since done the maths over again(repeated the whole year) and got a much improved result. I am also retaking AS physics throughout this year (the whole year) with the exam at the end. So my questions are:

1. Would I have to declare my U's in the UCAS applications?
2. Do I have a shot at top English unis such as Cambridge...provided that my results end up looking something like A*A*A(with English for which I got 79.5/80 overall) or A*A*A*(with maths if I get 90+in all A levels)? I also do a lot of wider reading and co curricular.(I want to study psychology).
3. How much of your IGCSE grades affect your application? (I have 2 E's in IGCSE in art and graphics- just couldn't cope with the coursework...)

I am not trying to explain things here but the reason why I did so poorly in year 11 is because I feel like I was not mature enough to take on 3 AS levels at once and the work(with art and graphics) was just impossible. I am an extended student and when I got my results in early 2013, I was shocked and so were my teachers. Thanks in advance :smile:

1. You have to declare everything, no matter what kind of grades you've got, I mean you can't just pick out the best..
2. It's hard to say, but I would say not really despite your predicted A*A*A at the end. You got U's for Maths & Physics at AsLevel?? C's might be OK but, U's definitely not, Oxbridge are very strict whens it comes to any grades. Also, your predicted grades don't seem to be realistic considering your AS grades. They wouldn't believe that you're going to achieve A*A*A.
3. The (I)GCSE is important. Many universities ask for certain grades at (I)GCSE such as A in Maths or B in English etc..There are candidates that have straight A*'s & A's in their GCSE but still got rejections from Oxbidge
(edited 10 years ago)
Original post by Hanover
1. You have to declare everything, no matter what kind of grades you've got, I mean you can't just pick out the best..
2. It's hard to say, but I would say not really despite your predicted A*A*A at the end. You got U's for Maths & Physics at AsLevel?? C's might be OK but, U's definitely not, Oxbridge are very strict whens it comes to any grades. Also, your predicted grades don't seem to be realistic considering your AS grades. They wouldn't believe that you're going to achieve A*A*A.
3. The (I)GCSE is important. Many universities ask for certain grades at (I)GCSE such as A in Maths or B in English etc..There are candidates that have straight A*'s & A's in their GCSE but still got rejections from Oxbidge

I think you've been confused by the OP. I am a bit confused myself but my impression is that he got U grades when he took AS subjects one year early (in year 11). Now in year 12, he has taken AS subjects alongside everyone else and done very well (A*AAA) - which is what his predicted grades are based upon. Truthfully - I don't know how the previously taken AS grades would affect him, but I would imagine the advice would not be the same as to a person who has got U grades on taking AS levels on time in year 12 (which is what you seem to be giving). It would seem unfair for the OP to be disadvantaged by something he did optionally ahead of the normal school schedule. Nevertheless that may be the case. OP you might be better off contacting UCAS (or whichever system you are applying through) directly on what you have to declare.
(edited 10 years ago)

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending