Tomsta
Badges: 14
Rep:
? You'll earn badges for being active around the site. Rep gems come when your posts are rated by other community members.
Report Thread starter 7 years ago
Ok so i'm in my final year, and i was watching an episode of Castle on TV where one of the characters gives a school graduation speech, just wondering do graduates have to prepare a graduation speech anymore?
Manbeerpig
Badges: 0
Rep:
? You'll earn badges for being active around the site. Rep gems come when your posts are rated by other community members.
Report 7 years ago
no

you collect a script

and walk on
Tomsta
Rep:
(Original post by Manbeerpig)
no

you collect a script

and walk on
Have people in the UK ever had to do that, or is that more of an american thing?
A321
Badges: 20
Rep:
Report 7 years ago
It would take forever if hundreds of students gave speeches.
Strangey
Badges: 15
Rep:
Report 7 years ago
(Original post by Tomsta)
Ok so i'm in my final year, and i was watching an episode of Castle on TV where one of the characters gives a school graduation speech, just wondering do graduates have to prepare a graduation speech anymore?
Speeches are given by either an invited guest or (more normally) the head of department or a senior lecturer. They'll talk about the university and the course, and thank everyone for coming etc. The students don't give speeches!
Tomsta
Rep:
(Original post by Strangey)
Speeches are given by either an invited guest or (more normally) the head of department or a senior lecturer. They'll talk about the university and the course, and thank everyone for coming etc. The students don't give speeches!
Fair enough, cos i was think yet more stuff to stress about
Origami Bullets
Badges: 19
Rep:
Report 7 years ago
Blimey, if everyone gave a speech you'd all be there until the following month. Graduation at my uni takes, I think, two weeks straight, and that's without any students giving speeches :eek3:
NuriaM
Badges: 10
Rep:
Report 7 years ago
(Original post by Tomsta)
Fair enough, cos i was think yet more stuff to stress about
In my university, it's usually one chosen student, the special guest and the vice chancellor of the Uni that conducts speeches, obviously depending on the department (ie science and engineering, social sciences, business school...) the student won't be the same it's based on each department

Posted from TSR Mobile
returnmigrant
Badges: 21
Rep:
Report 7 years ago
Your moment of glory as you walk up onto the stage, shake hands with the VC, and walk off again lasts about .... 45 seconds. That's it.
A321
Badges: 20
Rep:
Report 7 years ago
(Original post by returnmigrant)
Your moment of glory as you walk up onto the stage, shake hands with the VC, and walk off again lasts about .... 45 seconds. That's it.
Waited for three years only to go on for 45 seconds :rolleyes: Imagine if someone fell on the stage :lol: ah my worst fear!
exlunu
Badges: 0
Rep:
Report 7 years ago
I love the graduation speeches though. I think there should be about 3-4 student speeches so that they can talk about their uni experience. Otherwise, the graduation ceremony will be deadly boring. Have watched some speeches on Youtube and they are hilarious
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

Have you ever considered or are you currently considering an apprenticeship?

Yes, I am actively considering an apprenticeship (65)
12.48%
I am actively considering an alternative to uni that isn't an apprenticeship (9)
1.73%
I have considered an apprenticeship but it's not for me (135)
25.91%
I am considering a degree apprenticeship (43)
8.25%
I haven't considered an apprenticeship (251)
48.18%
Something else (let us know in the thread!) (18)
3.45%

Watched Threads