ssamarai
Badges: 2
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 7 years ago
I have to give in my application for the A level subjects I want to do soon. For my A levels I have narrowed it down to 3 different combinations of subjects. I need help on deciding which combination would be best for me.

1.Biology, Chemistry, Geography, Spanish
2.Biology, Chemistry, Psychology, Spanish
3.Biology,Chemistry,Geography, Psychology

I did want to go into medicine but I'm not too sure anymore because I don't think I'll be good enough for it. Anyway, please help me to choose which combination is the best and will still keep doors open for me.

If you have any advice/suggestions then please add that too. I need all the information and help I can get.
bellapetrova94
Badges: 11
Rep:
?
Report 7 years ago
the second option looks great! as do the others, but it stands out most to me personally..I only did 2 from your options a language and psychology. Psychology was interesting as we go taught about how we remember, attachment to others, abnormality, social influence and biological psychology (this was aqa) and with the language even though I didnt do spanish I stuck with my fluent language which is russian (exam board was edexcel) and really i was left on my own with that. only attended exams as no classes we allocated
legache
Badges: 13
Rep:
?
Report 7 years ago
I am in year 12, studying Bio, Chem, English Lit and Geography.
I'd do option one because it leaves your options open, by doing Psychology your narrowing it down. At Uni, you don't need to to do Psychology in order to get into any courses but I guess you might find it interesting.
Many of my friends who chose Psychology now are choosing to drop it at A2 but i'm not quite sure of their reasons.
I'm biased as I love geography and kinda wished I could've chosen it but I thought that it would be enough to just do Bio and Chem in order to get into a science career. And a language is really good to have so deffo choose Spanish!! However I am finding German really challenging and think I will drop it next year, but I think that's because of the teaching and my class.
So I would say option 1 sounds best. But to be honest, choose the subjects you enjoy most! They will lead you to a career that you love. Also, keep in mind that you can change them if you don't enjoy them at the beginning of AS, and that you will have to drop one for year 13 too.
P.S: Bio and chem are a great combination. Its quite difficult but really interesting!
P.P.S: Wait until you get your GCSE results! Good luck in your future xoxo
Sophie422
Badges: 0
Rep:
?
Report 7 years ago
(Original post by ssamarai)
I have to give in my application for the A level subjects I want to do soon. For my A levels I have narrowed it down to 3 different combinations of subjects. I need help on deciding which combination would be best for me.

1.Biology, Chemistry, Geography, Spanish
2.Biology, Chemistry, Psychology, Spanish
3.Biology,Chemistry,Geography, Psychology

I did want to go into medicine but I'm not too sure anymore because I don't think I'll be good enough for it. Anyway, please help me to choose which combination is the best and will still keep doors open for me.

If you have any advice/suggestions then please add that too. I need all the information and help I can get.
Out of those, I'm doing biology, geography and psychology.

Obviously you're definitely doing biology, however I'm finding it pretty difficult (the mark scheme is very specific).

Geography - I think it's like the only one I enjoy out of my choices haha - although that could be due to my class/teachers. But overall, the content isn't difficult to understand, just a lot to remember.

Same with psychology - a lot of content, loads of studies etc to remember. And if you don't learn them, you'll struggle with the essays. I have a mock this week on it and I have so much to learn/go over. But content wise, it's all easy to understand.

But, I would recommend psychology and geography. I can't judge Spanish; however I've heard languages are very difficult.

LeFailFish
Badges: 12
Rep:
?
Report 7 years ago
Personally I would pick the first one - I'm only doing Biology and Chemistry out of your options, but all of my friends studying Geography love it, and while languages are difficult, they have so many uses in real life and in jobs and they really showcase your intelligence. Psychology is the most popular A level subject in the UK, and while I'm sure it's an enjoyable and valued subject, it tends to be less favoured simply because so many people have an A level in it. Still, it's absolutely your choice so study whatever you want to study most.

(P.S. Don't write Medicine off because you don't think you'e good enough. You may as well try if that's really what you want to do - and just have another option as a backup. If you still want to study Medicine it might be advisable to take an extra Science or Maths A level instead of one of your other options, but this isn't required for all universities).
ssamarai
Rep:
?
Thank you everyone for the helpful answers and advice, much appreciated and my decision has been narrowed down between options 1 and 2 now.
"Tom"
Badges: 0
Rep:
?
Report 7 years ago
Option 1 has the best set of A levels as all 4 are "traditional" subjects and would give you the best possible chance in what you wish to pursue.
~ Aquamarine ~
Badges: 17
Rep:
?
Report 7 years ago
I think the first one looks best - good strong A levels, plus it's really useful to be able to speak a second language well
ssamarai
Rep:
?
Thanks so much! Getting my GCSE results in 6 days so then i will be able to make my final decision!
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

Feeling behind at school/college? What is the best thing your teachers could to help you catch up?

Extra compulsory independent learning activities (eg, homework tasks) (1)
4.55%
Run extra compulsory lessons or workshops (4)
18.18%
Focus on making the normal lesson time with them as high quality as possible (3)
13.64%
Focus on making the normal learning resources as high quality/accessible as possible (2)
9.09%
Provide extra optional activities, lessons and/or workshops (9)
40.91%
Assess students, decide who needs extra support and focus on these students (3)
13.64%

Watched Threads