Lancaster University Firmers 2014

Scroll to see replies

Going to firm for medicine :biggrin:

Posted from TSR Mobile
Student in the Laboratory, Lancaster University
Lancaster University
Lancaster
Visit website
wow! well done you. Excited for October? I cant wait, but i'm also a little nervous :/
Yes really excited! I already live in lancaster so it's not a huge change I'm just excited to start! :smile: where do you live? X

Posted from TSR Mobile
Ahh that's cool, are you going to live on campus for the uni experience or stay at home?I live just down the road in Preston, so 20 minutes away, excited to get away from here and do uni stuff!x
Original post by secret_keeper
wow! well done you. Excited for October? I cant wait, but i'm also a little nervous :/

What are you nervous about? :smile:

Posted from TSR Mobile
Well, its been a couple of years since i was in education, so getting back into the swing of things with studying, i'll be leaving my job behind and moving out of my house.i'll be fine living on a budget and i do love reading so i guess that wont be a problem! But for a couple of months now, i've had a really bad brain fog! Not sure why, so i'm hoping i can shake that in time!So, what year are you in?What do you study?
Well, its been a couple of years since i was in education, so getting back into the swing of things with studying, i'll be leaving my job behind and moving out of my house.i'll be fine living on a budget and i do love reading so i guess that wont be a problem! But for a couple of months now, i've had a really bad brain fog! Not sure why, so i'm hoping i can shake that in time!So, what year are you in?What do you study?

I'm a first year economics student and I wouldn't really worry about brain fog! The first couple of weeks of lectures are designed to bring everyone up to at least the same standard so the economics was simple AS, maths was a small step up from GCSE standard :smile:

Posted from TSR Mobile
Ahh, how are you enjoying it? Also, i need to decide on the accommodation!

So its not too bad to start with then? thats good.I guess if i just work hard and study hard i'll be fine. I'm doing politics and international relations, something ive never really studied before, so i guess im a little nervous about that too!
Ahh, how are you enjoying it? Also, i need to decide on the accommodation!

So its not too bad to start with then? thats good.I guess if i just work hard and study hard i'll be fine. I'm doing politics and international relations, something ive never really studied before, so i guess im a little nervous about that too!

I'm really enjoying it, currently in the library studying for my exam this afternoon but it's all good (apart from the exams obviously). What sort of accommodation are you looking at/for? Any specific arrangements?

Nah it's relatively easy to begin with, although if you're doing politics you might want to read J.S. Mills 'On Liberty' a bit beforehand. If you've not studied Politics or IR then just read up a bit around Liberalism first as this is what the first year is based around. You will also get to choose two minors I believe, so you have two other subjects you add to your current timetable :smile:

Posted from TSR Mobile
Well that's good to know! Exams always are the worst!Don't let me put you off revising!

Well, I like the sound of Bowland and was considering standard but not sure if I'm looking at the correct pictures of them and i also liked the look of the superior standard in County, i heard the en-suites are a little smaller than other rooms, is that right?

Ahh that's helpful thank you, I'll get a copy!I've bought a few other books to get through before starting. Yeah i was speaking to a lecturer about that, I'm thinking history and probably philosophy...
Well that's good to know! Exams always are the worst!Don't let me put you off revising!

Well, I like the sound of Bowland and was considering standard but not sure if I'm looking at the correct pictures of them and i also liked the look of the superior standard in County, i heard the en-suites are a little smaller than other rooms, is that right?

Ahh that's helpful thank you, I'll get a copy!I've bought a few other books to get through before starting. Yeah i was speaking to a lecturer about that, I'm thinking history and probably philosophy...

Haha it's alright, not being as attached to TSR as people know me to be today :colondollar:

Bowland (Boo!)?! Ensuite rooms are a bit smaller than standard rooms, but that's only to accommodate the ensuite. There's still enough room to move around in haha!

Yeah? Which other books are they? History and Philosophy would be good choices, as would Economics in my opinion. You've got plenty of time to decide though so don't worry too much just yet

Posted from TSR Mobile
ahh, i'm sure i've seen your posts on here a fair bit! Must admit, i do like going on here and just reading the forums and posts.

haha are you from Lonsdale by any chance?Would you recommend and en-suite then? is it quite a few people sharing bathrooms in the standard rooms?

I have globalization of world politics, plato's republic, Politics by Aristotle and The Prince by Machiavelli. I have a few others saved in my amazon, a global politics book and and a couple of international relations theory books too. Just trying to finish Mandela's Long Walk To Freedom before going through those! Ah yeah economics would be good, what sort of things do you study on it?

I'm so excited! Can't wait to do more sport when i get there too, are you in any of the teams or societies?
ahh, i'm sure i've seen your posts on here a fair bit! Must admit, i do like going on here and just reading the forums and posts.

haha are you from Lonsdale by any chance?Would you recommend and en-suite then? is it quite a few people sharing bathrooms in the standard rooms?

I have globalization of world politics, plato's republic, Politics by Aristotle and The Prince by Machiavelli. I have a few others saved in my amazon, a global politics book and and a couple of international relations theory books too. Just trying to finish Mandela's Long Walk To Freedom before going through those! Ah yeah economics would be good, what sort of things do you study on it?

I'm so excited! Can't wait to do more sport when i get there too, are you in any of the teams or societies?

Who hasn't seem my posts on here? :rolleyes: I admit, I post more than I probably should, but it's just to help guys out y'know?

I am indeed a Lonsdalian and proud of it! I'd recommend an ensuite if you're bothered about sharing a shower and toilet with other people - like I am. If you don't mind this though, it's probably good to go with a non-ensuite room to keep the cost down. How many people share depends in the college and whether it's a townhouse or not - it can be between 6-12 people depending what you choose in most cases.

Plato's Republic is a great one, especially as it's supposedly about a conversation his mentor, Socrates, has. The Prince is also a classic (indirectly mentioned in Assassins Creed Brotherhood if you're into your video games). Economics is the study of businesses in a market with things such as supply and demand (Microeconomics) or the global economy with things such as interest rates, inflation etc. (Macroeconomics). It goes well with politics as many political factors and ideas directly influence economical thought and theory. But apart from economics, history is a popular choice to go with politics (a girl I know does all three, although doesn't do as much economics as I do due to the history module she takes).

Sport is brilliant too, what with the new gym being excellent. I play Rugby Union for the 3rd XV and I'm a member of the Economics society and the Investment and Finance society too. What sports are you into or hoping to play when you come here? If you really want to get the most out of your sports, join Lonsdale or Bowland since we have Founders in June, where it's one whole weekend of sports. Aside from that, you could also represent the university in Roses where we play against the vile scum of York university in early May :wink:

Posted from TSR Mobile
Yeah it definitely is helpful to have someone who replies and answers questions!

Ha knew you would be!I'm not too bothered either way really, I may just go standard like you said, keep the costs down and more money for other stuff like nights out!

Well that's good, sounds like i've taken the right direction in books so far then!Ahh of course, it's a while since I played assassins creed but i knew i had heard the name somewhere.I see, hmm, well i'm glad i have this time to think, but i do like the sound of economics. If it links well with the politics course, I would likely prefer it to the philosophy.

I saw some pictures of the sports centre, it looks awesome. That's good, how is it playing for the Uni team? Well i used to play rugby union at Grasshoppers in Preston so I was thinking of Rugby Union again, but the American Football team caught my eye, i'd love the opportunity to play for a team. I like squash too but i dont think i'll be team quality! I heard about founders, what sports are played? I'd love to be part of that and Roses, they both sound so good!I cant wait!
Yeah it definitely is helpful to have someone who replies and answers questions!

Ha knew you would be!I'm not too bothered either way really, I may just go standard like you said, keep the costs down and more money for other stuff like nights out!

Well that's good, sounds like i've taken the right direction in books so far then!Ahh of course, it's a while since I played assassins creed but i knew i had heard the name somewhere.I see, hmm, well i'm glad i have this time to think, but i do like the sound of economics. If it links well with the politics course, I would likely prefer it to the philosophy.

I saw some pictures of the sports centre, it looks awesome. That's good, how is it playing for the Uni team? Well i used to play rugby union at Grasshoppers in Preston so I was thinking of Rugby Union again, but the American Football team caught my eye, i'd love the opportunity to play for a team. I like squash too but i dont think i'll be team quality! I heard about founders, what sports are played? I'd love to be part of that and Roses, they both sound so good!I cant wait!

Exactly right! A long as you guys are happy for me to continue doing so on this thread and the applicants thread I will carry on!

How did you guess? :wink: yeah, I won't lie but my student finance is low compared to other people due to my parents income - problem being my parents aren't as generous as other parents haha! So I do find myself in a tight squeeze sometimes with money due to accommodation costs but I know I wouldn't be happy otherwise. Living like this does help to budget though, and I've budgeted enough to be able to pre-order the Xbox One Titanfall edition which arrives next week!

Yeah, Machiavelli tells Ezio he's going to write a book about him, and Ezio replies telling him to "keep it short" - it's a reference to The Prince since it is notoriously short compared to Machiavellis other works (bit of trivia there for you in case you want to replay it). Philosophy would link in well too with politics, although debatably only within the philosophical politics or political philosophy modules. Both are as good as another, although for me economics just edges it for obvious reasons.

Playing for the uni team is tough, it's competitive, but it's always enjoyable. We get special access to the gym after hours on Sunday and the socials are fantastic. The American Football team have such a cool name (Lancaster Bombers) but they train long and hard five times a week, so it can get in the way of studying (one of my friends started to do it but left for this reason). Being part of the rugby team though you train three times a week and have one game a week so it's not as bad. Founders involves any sport played at BUCS (university) level normally. Main ones include rugby, football, netball as well as more obscure sports such as pool, darts, and even dominos! If you're not team standard for squash but still want to play it, you could just rent out a couple of racquets from the sports centre (depending on gym membership), book the court, and play :smile:

Posted from TSR Mobile
(edited 9 years ago)
Well you sure are helping me thank you! (and keeping me entertained at work)

Ahh I see, think I'll probably just go for a standard room then to keep as much spare as possible! I've been living by myself for a while now, so no parent support, so here's hoping i can survive! Thats cool! Think my friend has pre ordered titanfall, did you try the Beta version (think it was called that), you could level up to about level 14 i think,we hooked it up in a conference room at work and projected it on a wall! Looks pretty decent.

Does seem vaguely familiar, i'll have to drag it out again!Dont think i've played anything since GTA came out last September. I did have to double check i was getting the correct book, its tiny! Guess i'll have to do further research, but economics does sound interesting.

I can imagine its hard but definitely rewarding and i've heard the sports socials are awesome! 5 times a week?! wow!That does seem like it would get in the way. May stick to trying my luck at rugby instead. Founders definitely sound fun! I do enjoy squash, let some energy out, i play a couple of sessions weekly so i guess i'll see how good i am when i get there!

So whats freshers week like?
Well you sure are helping me thank you! (and keeping me entertained at work)

Ahh I see, think I'll probably just go for a standard room then to keep as much spare as possible! I've been living by myself for a while now, so no parent support, so here's hoping i can survive! Thats cool! Think my friend has pre ordered titanfall, did you try the Beta version (think it was called that), you could level up to about level 14 i think,we hooked it up in a conference room at work and projected it on a wall! Looks pretty decent.

Does seem vaguely familiar, i'll have to drag it out again!Dont think i've played anything since GTA came out last September. I did have to double check i was getting the correct book, its tiny! Guess i'll have to do further research, but economics does sound interesting.

I can imagine its hard but definitely rewarding and i've heard the sports socials are awesome! 5 times a week?! wow!That does seem like it would get in the way. May stick to trying my luck at rugby instead. Founders definitely sound fun! I do enjoy squash, let some energy out, i play a couple of sessions weekly so i guess i'll see how good i am when i get there!

So whats freshers week like?

Haha it's alright. Whereabouts do you work? I work part-time outside of University.

Yeah it's definitely a good idea to. I mean the only reason I went ensuite was because I didn't really like sharing toiletries etc. but I'm doing that next year anyway as part of a house share. If you don't go over the top, especially during freshers week, and monitor how often you go out, you'll be fine. But obviously this depends on how much you have to spend. I didn't try the Beta, I don't have my 360 at University, nor do I own a One, so I ordered the One with the Titanfall game. It looks awesome, can't wait to play it!

I bought GTA V after christmas, pretty good, definitely the best GTA game ever, but still not one of my top 3. Economics is the best - my unbiased opinion obviously :wink: No there are loads of different things within economics, like demand and supply, investment and interest, money supply, loans, labour economics, game theory (no, that's not about video games unfortunately) and much more!

As for freshers week...there's so much I could put. But to sum it up: IT. IS. MENTAL!!! I'll tell you more via a PM after you reply, because I don't want our conversation to dominate this thread and there's so much to include.
(edited 9 years ago)
Ahh right, what do you do? Is it easy to fit in around studies?

I think ill take that advice and go for standard then, most likely in your rival college then :P The One is really good, we played fifa before pre drink and it was really good! Titanfall looks good, i guess i'll get a daily update when my friend has it! I like GTA, its great if you just fancy exploring, just grab a car and see how far you can go!

I think i will likely go for economics, wasnt fully set on philosophy, just thought i may as well take that since i studied RS at college.

I think rugby is grabbing my attention more and more right now! Wow so all the teams are doing really well, ill have to keep an eye out for results. I'm usually a right winger.

Ahh yeah please do, would love to hear about all the goings on!
Reply 38
Original post by MalteseMalteser

As for freshers week...there's so much I could put. But to sum it up: IT. IS. MENTAL!!! I'll tell you more via a PM after you reply, because I don't want our conversation to dominate this thread and there's so much to include.

Hey, would you pm me about freshers too? I cannot wait :biggrin: would love to hear all about it!

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by mollygxo
Hey, would you pm me about freshers too? I cannot wait :biggrin: would love to hear all about it!

Posted from TSR Mobile

Sure thing! Currently writing out the PM so will copy and paste to you everything that refers to Freshers Week whilst making it a bit more personalised for you! :biggrin:

Posted from TSR Mobile

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending