Report 5 years ago
Depends on your a-level grades

Posted from TSR Mobile
DedicatedWizard
Badges: 21
Rep:
?
Report 5 years ago
It's good but it's the A-Levels that count the most so you need to get really high grades to get into courses like...let's say medicine!
jennyrules
Badges: 7
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 5 years ago
I was planning on looking at courses science orientated like natural sciences or chemical engineering?
shartos maximus
Badges: 0
Rep:
?
Report 5 years ago
i remember being in the exact same situation a few years ago (got A*A*AAAAAAAB) and people on TSR were telling me they aren't good enough for a top university bla bla bla

trust me.. all that matters is your personal statement, your a-levels (choices + grades) and your interview. they do not give a flying **** about GCSE grades, don't worry

get 3 A's, write a banging personal statement and smash your interview. you can go anywhere you want, people here love to exaggerate
PG593
Badges: 13
Report 5 years ago
Not terrible grades but like others have said A levels are the key...they show your current ability which is usually given the most weight when applying in terms of academics.
Mux123
Rep:
?
Report 5 years ago
(Original post by jennyrules)
I was planning on looking at courses science orientated like natural sciences or chemical engineering?
A course like chemical engineering is quite competitive, offers from universities can vary from a*aa to abb at a-levels, depending on the university you've applied to. For example imperial and Oxbridge May offer A*aa whereas Loughborough aaa

Posted from TSR Mobile
Mux123
Rep:
?
Report 5 years ago
(Original post by Mux123)
A course like chemical engineering is quite competitive, offers from universities can vary from a*aa to abb at a-levels, depending on the university you've applied to. For example imperial and Oxbridge May offer A*aa whereas Loughborough aaa

Posted from TSR Mobile
So if you do well enough at a-levels, you shouldn't be too concerned about your gcse grades.

Posted from TSR Mobile
Exon
Badges: 15
Rep:
?
Report 5 years ago
GCSEs are irrelevant apart from the core ones for most courses. A-levels on the other hand...
Exon
Rep:
?
Report 5 years ago
GCSEs are irrelevant apart from the core ones for most courses. A-levels on the other hand...
Mux123
Rep:
?
Report 5 years ago
Don't ignore GCSE's completely. Universities do actually take them into consideration when assessing an application. But a-levels is the main factor.

Posted from TSR Mobile
Robbie242
Rep:
?
Report 5 years ago
Smash your a-levels and you'll probably be fine, I hold offers from Warwick, Bath and Bristol for Maths and I got 2B 5C at GCSE, for medicine they'd obviously hold critical importance
thespontaneous1
Rep:
?
Report 5 years ago
Posted from TSR Mobile

Thats decent enough for a good UNI provided you get A's in the core ones and MIN B's. You literally just need to bangout at A-level and get 3-4 As at AS then right a good personal statement and have a good interview and a decent enterance exam score for whatever subject you choose at UNI eg LMAT UKCAT
Jayooo
Badges: 2
Rep:
?
Report 5 years ago
It depends upon the course that you wish to pursue, and the university in question. Some courses and institutions place much greater emphasis upon GCSEs than others do. For example, for Medicine at Cardiff University, a points system whereby the candidate's nine best GCSEs are ranked out of 27 is used, and to be competitive, majoritively A*s and As are required. Similarly, Oxbridge entry would require a broad range of GCSE subjects, and consistently high grades. However, for many courses, where GCSE requirements are stated, they usually entail a specific grade in the subject that you wish to study at undergraduate level, or a subject that may be relevant to such study, e.g. an A in Maths for an undergraduate Maths degree. I would advise you to research courses and note specific entry requirements in order to garner an idea of your options.
SmaugTheTerrible
Rep:
?
Report 5 years ago
As long as you get ABB or above in your A-levels you should be fine for most courses at a Top 25/1994 group/russell group.
Bloxorus
Badges: 16
Rep:
?
Report 5 years ago
As long as you don't want to do medicine where GCSEs matter quite a lot, you can go wherever you like as long as you're A levels are good enough.
Someone at my school dossed his GCSEs and got mainly Bs, worked really hard during his AS year and is now an offer holder for Economics at Cambridge. So its definitely possible.
jennyrules
Rep:
?
I was looking at more of a biochemistry route?
tinhat
Badges: 10
Rep:
?
Report 5 years ago
Abbbbbbb?
Unless you're aiming for Oxford and Cambridge (for which those grades probably aren't quite good enough), then GCSE grades are almost entirely irrelevant.
jennyrules
Rep:
?
Im confused so should I completely forget about cambridge?
mrderp28
Rep:
?
Report 5 years ago
Im confused so should I completely forget about cambridge?
You could always give it a shot anyway. But remember AS levels are crucial for getting offers.
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

University open days

• University of Bristol
    Undergraduate Open Afternoon Undergraduate
    Wed, 23 Oct '19
  • University of Exeter
    Undergraduate Open Day - Penryn Campus Undergraduate
    Wed, 23 Oct '19
  • University of Nottingham
    Mini Open Day Undergraduate
    Wed, 23 Oct '19

Have you made up your mind on your five uni choices?

Yes I know where I'm applying (150)
59.29%
No I haven't decided yet (58)
22.92%
Yes but I might change my mind (45)
17.79%

Watched Threads

Latest
My Feed